Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Wave Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Wave Rotors...

...are one their way...or one of em anyway. I picked the other one up on ebay a few months ago for a whoppin $10 + shipping. These are the Braking/Galfer rotors. I think Galfer makes them for Braking.

The other one cost me $230 but it's still a screamin deal for the pair. I will report the results if it ever warms up and the salt and sand go away.

I've got these on my 1000RR too but was having some problems at the end of the season because I installed them the same left and right and got a little bit of chatter. You're supposed to install them so the waves are not aligned. Never got a chance to reinstall and test 'em out before it got too cold to ride.

Damn! I can't wait until spring. Too many toys and not enough season to ride them.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I've got these on my 1000RR too but was having some problems at the end of the season because I installed them the same left and right and got a little bit of chatter. You're supposed to install them so the waves are not aligned. Never got a chance to reinstall and test 'em out before it got too cold to ride.
I never knew that! Did you buy the ones for the rr new? Let me know how they feel on the Superhawk. I wanted the waves but the prolites came along and I thought they would be better than stock (they were) for less money. The waves have gone up almost $50 since last fall so you do have a good deal going for the pair.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I got them new from a dealer on the 1000rr.net forum. His price was very good but not as good as ebay, but I'm willing to give a few extra bucks to a good guy if he takes care of me.

Like I said, I really didn't get much chance to ride the RR with the new rotors before it got cold. I did notice slightly better overall braking power but it was hard to tell since neither pads nor rotors were broken in. At lower speeds, like when coming to a stop, they chattered, and found out later that I had them mounted symmetrically. Each wave crest will tend to grab just a little harder than the shallow part and it's enough to cause a visible and easily felt chatter when coming to a stop if it hits both crests at the same time. Luckily one of the guys at Galfer is on the 1000rr.net forum and he clued me into the cause.

I'm using EBC HH+ pads with the new rotors. Don't know what I'll try with the Superhawk yet. Still deciding on that. I've had Vesrah RJLs but they are tough on rotors. Galfer Green pads don't last long enough and the Carbone Lorraine pads I've used lose power and feel after they're worn about halfway through. HRC pad are amazing but they cost about as much as gold and they don't make them for the VTR. I had some DP a while back and like those. I might just try them again. I brake very aggressively so pads don't last that long on my bikes....and unfortunately, as I'm finding out, neither do rotors.