General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.

OK. This is starting to really bug me, so I'd like to hear some other peoples opinions/experiences on this from different parts of the country. (world?)

When I first started riding (12 years ago), everybody waved. If you were on a motorcycle and you saw another rider oncoming, both riders waved. Didnt matter what kind of bikes, metric, harley, sport, cruiser, etc. More recently (within the last 5 years or so), the "super-cool" harley posers with their ape-hangers and straight pipes wouldnt wave to me at all, even if I waved first. And lately, the straight poser crowd seems to be growing to include different varieties of cruiser type bikes, all of whom will (now) not wave. We seem to have reached a point where the only riders who acknowlege each other are those of us on rice/pasta rockets, and the old-school hard core riding guys. (the BMW set). Its really irritating to wave at another rider and be snubbed, and with that being said, I really only wave to other sportbikers now. (Although I will return a wave to whoever initiates it.)

Of course, this is only my perspective, riding in Massachusetts, and riding a sportbike. My Dad, on his Harley (who actually falls more into the category of old-school BMW type rider, having rode a beemer or a 'wing for 20 years in all seasons before getting the H-D), still waves at everybody, and usually gets a wave back from almost everybody, with the poser harley guys still too cool.

Whats everybody else's experience with this?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Well over here, I can tell it's really mood related. In town no waves, people just go where ever they go that's it. But when you hit a nice riding circuit on a sunny day, most of the riders wave at each others. Another factor is the rarity, like when it's still cold and that you took out your bike early people feels that we are special
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I'm in New Mexico and this is my experience:
Sportbikes return a wave 9/10.
Helmeted cruisers return a wave 8/10.
No helmet cruisers return a wave maybe 4/10 (I usually wait for these guys to go first, but if I don't I give them the 2 finger "peace" wave....if I get snubbed I just reel in the appropriate digit and leave them with a different wave!)....F'em! It's not like they're gonna turn around and catch me with their two wheeled couch.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My experience pretty well mimics Duck's. It seems many of the H-D crowd are too busy being in a permanent posing mode (with that "quasi-Clint Eastwood staring into a wind" look). I used to wave to them but don't bother anymore, got tired of being snubbed. On the whole, my feelings for them vary between contempt ("who the f**k does he think he is"), pity (having to so obviously count on your motorcycle to make you feel like a somebody), and outright indifference. I wave to all non-customs basically and generally get a wave back. I do wave back to anyone who waves though regardless of what they ride.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I was having your exact same experience, worse this year it seems. And I had even come to the same conclusion -- I'd wave to the sport bikers who I generally get a wave back, and forget the cruiser/outlaw poser crowd which often don't return them anyway. But then decided screw it, I was brought up waving and I'm not going to let another group determine that for me. Or make the same generalizations that maybe some of them are making. I'll just wave and they can either get it or not: but that is their problem, not mine. I have a hard enough time controlling my own actions without worry about someone else's too.

my opinion
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
I don't blame the HD guys, with their ape hangers, drag bars, 65HP and 700 pound bikes. Reason being, if they let go of one hand to wave, they are liable to lose control and run off the road.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Law of Attraction

I live off the law of attraction. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but I wave 99% of the time, usually first and 95% of the time the other rider regardless of bike will wave back. I do agree though that the 5% who usually don't wave are the 20-35 year olds on their customs who think they are King Sh*t. Oh well, Minnesota Nice still prevails the majority of time.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
The wave is pretty much universal here in Virginia. Sure there's the occasional non-waver... no big deal... was probably a serial killer anyway. I've started waving to scooter riders lately... it feels a little weird though.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I wave at scooter riders, too, and it feels weird to me as well.
Whenever I'm at a stoplight next to a scooter I like to rev the engine and hunker down over the tank like I'm preparing for a holeshot contest. The scooter riders sometimes don't get it, but it amuses me greatly.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road

Great answers so far, somewhat what I expected to hear....

Was just reminded of a joke: Q: why dont Harley riders wave? A: too busy holding on to their tools
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
alternate answer: Who cares?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
The wave is pretty much universal here in Virginia. Sure there's the occasional non-waver... no big deal... was probably a serial killer anyway. I've started waving to scooter riders lately... it feels a little weird though.
:ROFL: Here in NC as well.. I try to wave, even if I dont get one back.. F'em if they dont.. didnt hurt me.. ride on.. Though, I dont usually wave at scooters... too wierd.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
New bike and to wave is cool...

I just got my 2000 yellow S-Hawk, after many "younger years" of riding dirt bikes and three wheeler's (ATC'S) I rode a few borrowed street bikes, I finally broke the fear and picked up my first... I was pleasantly surprised that many wave, I never noticed before. For me it was the "jeep thing" in my '53 ******, you always wave. Not many of the new age jeepers did. I however, holding onto my "Hawk" for dear life was only able to respond with a nod. I see it as an offer of respect, and will initiate waves.

Late

Originally Posted by J.J.
OK. This is starting to really bug me, so I'd like to hear some other peoples opinions/experiences on this from different parts of the country. (world?)

When I first started riding (12 years ago), everybody waved. If you were on a motorcycle and you saw another rider oncoming, both riders waved. Didnt matter what kind of bikes, metric, harley, sport, cruiser, etc. More recently (within the last 5 years or so), the "super-cool" harley posers with their ape-hangers and straight pipes wouldnt wave to me at all, even if I waved first. And lately, the straight poser crowd seems to be growing to include different varieties of cruiser type bikes, all of whom will (now) not wave. We seem to have reached a point where the only riders who acknowlege each other are those of us on rice/pasta rockets, and the old-school hard core riding guys. (the BMW set). Its really irritating to wave at another rider and be snubbed, and with that being said, I really only wave to other sportbikers now. (Although I will return a wave to whoever initiates it.)

Of course, this is only my perspective, riding in Massachusetts, and riding a sportbike. My Dad, on his Harley (who actually falls more into the category of old-school BMW type rider, having rode a beemer or a 'wing for 20 years in all seasons before getting the H-D), still waves at everybody, and usually gets a wave back from almost everybody, with the poser harley guys still too cool.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
here in chicago its similar. but the hog riders and custom guys real act like they've got something to prove. I don't wave to harleys or customs anymore. the explanation I've gotten for why these chopperheads don't wave is: "if its a jap bike, then its not a real bike. since its not a real bike, the rider is not a real biker, so why would I wave?" they prefer to give a slight nod. jap riders aren't "hand worthy". so I don't wave, but I might nod back. choppers are like model T's with ferarri bodywork. they look ok, but they are the bikes that you have to ask yourself Are they really bikes anymore in the conventional sense? ancient tech, lack of quality, they should all be in museums. anyway, everybody else waves. still up in the air on the whole scooter thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think normal people with no hang ups who appreciate you're on two wheels will wave regardless of what you or they're riding. It's so assinine "ooh you're on a sportbike and I'm on a harley so I'm not going to wave." Grow the **** up. When I was a kid we had (and still have by the way) a '62 & a '72 corvette and I've never seen anyone with such a tight bond as fellow corvette drivers. Got the wave (the ultra cool flip up of the fingers while holding the top of the wheel) from 100% of fellow vette drivers. Times change though and I don't think it's like that anymore...I think as time goes on people care less and less about just about everything, but that's a whole other subject. But as has been said already I get a wave often from fellow sportbikers and once in awhile from the almightly harley rider...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
There's a lot more bikes up here in NY in the summertime (percentage-wise) than there are in VA. I get more waves from everyone up here than I did in Norfolk. The season is intense since it's only 6 months long, so we all have to stick together while we ride our asses off for the short time we have.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
as an average... harleys wave to harleys, sport bikes wave to sport bikes, and metric cruisers wave to anyone they can.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
I think a lot of it has to do with the explosion of the cruiser market in the last few years. I seems to me that 50% or more of cruiser/custom riders whether Harley, metric or other have been riding for a very short time, and they don't get it.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I would say 95% of the people in the Southeast wave no matter what bike you ride from my experience.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Squid

Steve30v is on a distinguished road
I went on a ride this weekend in upstate New York. It's about like you said, metric pilots always wave back. The HD potatos are about 50/50. Too "cool" for us I suppose. It doesn't discourage me at all. I wave to anyone with (only) two wheels and a motor.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

C5aig is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I think normal people with no hang ups who appreciate you're on two wheels will wave regardless of what you or they're riding. It's so assinine "ooh you're on a sportbike and I'm on a harley so I'm not going to wave." Grow the **** up. When I was a kid we had (and still have by the way) a '62 & a '72 corvette and I've never seen anyone with such a tight bond as fellow corvette drivers. Got the wave (the ultra cool flip up of the fingers while holding the top of the wheel) from 100% of fellow vette drivers. Times change though and I don't think it's like that anymore...I think as time goes on people care less and less about just about everything, but that's a whole other subject. But as has been said already I get a wave often from fellow sportbikers and once in awhile from the almightly harley rider...
Down here in Texas the wave still works for 'vette owners though it is going the wayside in a similar fashion as the bike wave. I've found that a lot of the older crowd won't wave at me in the 'vette because I'm just a "young punk kid". I've got some off guard by waving at them.

Same with the bikes, I wave at anyone (except scooters) and if they don't wave back it's not of any concern to me.

I may start waving at scooters for the grins of it, but here in Austin there are a TON of scooters running around. I'd probably just wind up riding with one hand all the time.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Squid

Jonny is on a distinguished road
Scooters

Similar up here next to Canada and VT. Die hard HD country. Most will wave but the yuppies on their first HD will snub you along with the Canadians on their BMW's (nothing against Canadians but I've yet to have a rider on a BMW with Quebec plates return a wave, probably pissed that my bike cost as much as their luggage!). Otherwise it's like Greg said, short riding season and we all kinda stick together.

But I have to infer that the guys on scooters get snubbed alot up here. Just about everytime I wave at one (from the little 50cc ones to the 650cc ones) they almost fall off from the shock! It's funny as hell. They jump out of their saddle and stick their hand out to wave real fast just like they've been waiting for the past 50 bikes to wave to them but no one has. And they swerve a little too. Cracks me up everytime....
Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The season is intense since it's only 6 months long
You're lucky you get 6 months.

Mostly the same as all the above here. I'll have to agree that when you do pull your bike out on a non typical day for riding, and meet up with another rider, waves are almost always exchanged.

Originally Posted by Jonny
Just about everytime I wave at one (from the little 50cc ones to the 650cc ones) they almost fall off from the shock! It's funny as hell. They jump out of their saddle and stick their hand out to wave real fast just like they've been waiting for the past 50 bikes to wave to them but no one has. And they swerve a little too.
Ha! I've got to start waving at those buzbee's now.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chuey
I don't blame the HD guys, with their ape hangers, drag bars, 65HP and 700 pound bikes. Reason being, if they let go of one hand to wave, they are liable to lose control and run off the road.
Yeah, there was a thread on one of the other forums. This is one reason they don't wave, some others being:

Their armpits need the permanent ventilation;

The handlebars vibrate so much that it would be impossible to get a hand back on;

Hands are almost fully occupied in self-abuse;

Hands are also needed to collect all the bits falling off the machine; and

The last time they waved, some prankster auctioneer knocked down a lemon of a bike to them.

Time was in my country that I used to notice the BM people waved only to each other.

These days, I notice that the ratio of riders waving to you is directly proportional to the distance you are out of town (and the severity of the weather).

I jsut wave to anyone on a motorised two-wheeler out of town limits. On the days when there is a poker run on, I ride almost one-handed.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wave to EVERYONE even if I'm leaned over in a corner, hell I even wave at cars if they don't try to kill me! I wave to ALL 2 wheeled vehicles if they don't wave back and I'm in a testy mood I wave again just like this ! Same down here though, only I'll include the newer BMW crowd as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I wave at everyone on 2 wheels even the cops just for ***** ang giggles and if they don't or can't wave back I could really care less I am just happy to be on my bike.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I wave to everyone unless I'm real busy. Then I don't give a flying **** to the moon who's watching - I'm gettin' busy! I never waved to a scooter rider until I encountered this lass back in the neighborhood - in shorts (good reason) but wore a 3/4 helmet with a face bubble. She was excited that I waved but I had to laugh inside my helmet. I saw her again on the same afternoon and she waved again. Melt!

I wear a full face and some bad **** at that. Older Harley riders never blow me off. I don't know how they tell other than the way I ride. Squids in shorts and flip-flops don't even get my middle finger - they'll get theirs and it won't have a thing to do with kinsship.

Everybody wants to belong to a neighborhood. I have friends that drive VTX's, HD's, IL4's - we're neighbors.

When I ride with Erik and Chas - it's different. We ride as a pack. Even when Kaye comes along on her Boulevard it's the same - everybody around you is like family/brothers and that's a special ride.

Even Harley riders wave at a pack of sport bikes! They can imagine that we could chase them down to settle any (middle finger) differences.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by J.J.

where in ma you from?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Here in the sunny south(Metro Atlanta area) it seems to be about the same as everywhere else. Snubbed by the die-hard Hardley riders, waves from most sport bikes, full hand up in the air and smiles form the metric cruisers. Not alot of scooters in the area so I haven't experienced the wierdness of that wave yet. I do have to say that not all of the Harley riders are as arrogant as some believe. On occasion I ride with several friends that all ride Harleys and it is a tight group when we are all riding together.

As bad as we need the rain, I hate all of these afternoon thunderstorms cutting into my carving time.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the board 9807! I know all too well about the afternoon T'storms but at least you can do some carving up there, I have to hit the track for that!

Quick Reply: To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.