Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Time for Stage I

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The two engines are totally different... No parts at all are interchangeable except common bolts and such... And nope, it wont work swapping them in the frame... Haven't tried cranks, but I wouldn't imagine it possible...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Just curious, would it possible to stick a RC51 crank in the SH? If not, will the RC51 engine bolt into the SH frame, or are they too different?
Nick, cranks are engineered to be pretty spec-cific so I doubt there'd be any way to make the RC51 crank work in a SH block.

Also, I think wedging the RC51 motor into a SH frame would require the jaws of life and some major mounting mods, so to my knowledge that hasn't been tried either...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
The RC51 engine is not as different as you might think...........
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
MotoGP

No... It's just that almost every piece is different by a fraction or two... Not to much in general, but to much to interchange parts or whole engines...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The RC51 crank lubricates the rod journals through a galley drilled in the end of the crankshaft. The Super Hawk rod journals are lubricated via cross-drilled holes on the main journals. So if the journal diameters were the same, which they are not and the stroke lengths were the same, which they are not, the crank would not swap anyway.

But they are both Honda 90 degree L-twins. Cousins, not brothers.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
The RC51 crank lubricates the rod journals through a galley drilled in the end of the crankshaft. The Super Hawk rod journals are lubricated via cross-drilled holes on the main journals. So if the journal diameters were the same, which they are not and the stroke lengths were the same, which they are not, the crank would not swap anyway.

But they are both Honda 90 degree L-twins. Cousins, not brothers.
I figured they were kissing cousins, but not swappable...man you will prolly forget more then I'll ever learn about these motors
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Sorry for the dust in your face, but I gots an update! Final assembly should start in earnest next week and with any luck I'll be on the dyno sometime in November just in time for the Winter riding season here in FL
Old 10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

hawkman996 is on a distinguished road
Sweet, I'm excited to see the results. After that new motor is up and running maybe we could get some FL members together for a ride?!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by hawkman996
Sweet, I'm excited to see the results. After that new motor is up and running maybe we could get some FL members together for a ride?!
We need to for sure! You going to Daytona for Biketober fest this weekend?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Can`t wait to see some results from your build Rick. Just remember to that the output will go up a bit once everything is properly seated. Should make for an exciting ride!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
Can`t wait to see some results from your build Rick. Just remember to that the output will go up a bit once everything is properly seated. Should make for an exciting ride!
Yep, I'm looking forward to never wearing out a front tire again cuz it wont be touching the road through the first 3 gears
Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, it sure takes you guys a long time to build an engine...

Not that I have a lot of room to talk. I did 15 minutes more riding this year than the last 4 years combined, though.

I guess I didn't tell you about the leak in my fuel tank, before my last track day that didn't happen. I didn't want to ride it in primer anyway...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Man, it sure takes you guys a long time to build an engine...

Not that I have a lot of room to talk. I did 15 minutes more riding this year than the last 4 years combined, though.

I guess I didn't tell you about the leak in my fuel tank, before my last track day that didn't happen. I didn't want to ride it in primer anyway...
Yep, I couldda built it at least twice by now, but I knew the score when I took it to him cuz he had 3 in front of mine already...no biggie since it's a donor motor I'm still ridin anyway

Sorry to hear about your leak dude, but I can't blame you for not wanting to show up at the track in primer either. Prep it good so the paint is smooth for the next owner...LOL!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Impressive

OK I feel stupid just reading this one. OK for all the "stuff" your are doing with this motor swap and stage 1,2,3, and blah blah blah, What is that dong for the performance of the bike? The reason I ask is cause it seems like a BOAT LOAD of work and a crap ton of money. Or is that my stupidity again?

I just bought a 98 with 15k in really good condition but has a smal tic tic tic and think it might be the valves that are out of adjustment, and also at idle, it will drop *** and cachunk stall. (kinda what it sounds like) My problem is I have no clue where to start. You guys are swapping out motors like it is a weekend thing.

Just impressed with the knowledge and wish I had neighbors like that.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Impressive

OK I feel stupid just reading this one. OK for all the "stuff" your are doing with this motor swap and stage 1,2,3, and blah blah blah, What is that dong for the performance of the bike? The reason I ask is cause it seems like a BOAT LOAD of work and a crap ton of money. Or is that my stupidity again?

I just bought a 98 with 15k in really good condition but has a smal tic tic tic and think it might be the valves that are out of adjustment, and also at idle, it will drop *** and cachunk stall. (kinda what it sounds like) My problem is I have no clue where to start. You guys are swapping out motors like it is a weekend thing.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by AdamK

It's a labor of love and an extra 10-20 Hp helps! I suggest you do a search for CCTs replacement to help your ticking cuz you'll be due for a valve check at 17K miles and it's an easy swap to put in manual CCTs while you're in there checkin valve clearances...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
It's a labor of love and an extra 10-20 Hp helps! I suggest you do a search for CCTs replacement to help your ticking cuz you'll be due for a valve check at 17K miles and it's an easy swap to put in manual CCTs while you're in there checkin valve clearances...

Huh... OK apparently you thought I was joking with my statement of stupidity. So will adjusting my valves (other than the local Honda dealer) be a challenge for someone um... as challenged as I? I'm not a complete idiot so as long as it is not that difficult I could give it a shot. Just my first "street bike" so a little new with working on them.

And CCT's? Huh?

Last edited by AdamK; 10-20-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

What are CCT's and how easy are they to replace? Find out if mine are stock? Anything?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Adam,

We're trying to be on a little nicer streak to the new guys, ya know, not flame them so hard, so senior members won't whine.

First, there is a lot of knowledge in the KNOWLEDGE BASE found here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40

Next, the "Search" function is wonderful, even if you don't know what a CCT is, it will find plenty of threads on it, this is the result of a "search" for CCT:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=484270

Finally, CCTs are Cam Chain Tensioners. Thread in the KNOWLEDGE BASE is here:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40

Hopefully, you don't suffer from being computer illiterate as well as not being mechanically inclined.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

The cachunk thing is likely the carbs that are out of sync...

There is a thread around here somewhere where the steps in replacing the CCT's are layed out and with pics... go seach "Cam Chain Tensioner replacement" and you'll find it... If it looks scary, go to a shop... If not ask questions and we will do our best to help...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Adam,

We're trying to be on a little nicer streak to the new guys, ya know, not flame them so hard, so senior members won't whine.

First, there is a lot of knowledge in the KNOWLEDGE BASE found here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40

Next, the "Search" function is wonderful, even if you don't know what a CCT is, it will find plenty of threads on it, this is the result of a "search" for CCT:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=484270

Finally, CCTs are Cam Chain Tensioners. Thread in the KNOWLEDGE BASE is here:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40

Hopefully, you don't suffer from being computer illiterate as well as not being mechanically inclined.
um... wow... I guess looking for the word "search" would have been a good place to start. My bad.

No I am not hopeless that is for sure and I can't thank you enough for not drilling me (that goes to all). The knowledge here is incredible and I am sure with some wrenching I may be able to at least understand some of these forums a little better.

SO!!! With that being said thank you for the links above I will definately do some homework and see if I can't learn me a thing or two.

Last edited by AdamK; 10-20-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Not a problem, I prefer to provide and lambast equally and at the same time.

It will take a while. You'll figure out what all the jargon means, like PWNT thread. Read, relax and enjoy. You've found a wonderful machine, just like us.

Now on the other hand, don't be afraid to ask. Sometimes the information is so obscure, that even a search or series of searches fails to bring to light what you are looking for, and it might be that someone knows exactly where it is.

Welcome to the club, welcome to the initiation period.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
agreed with adamk i am a college student who loves wrenchin but damn you guys are good, its incredible how much i have learned about my new SH just from READING the threads and looking at the pictures a thousand thumbs up
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

It's alive!

Well not exactly, but this project has been resurrected! Sorry for the dust in the face...

Yesterday I retrieve all the sweet stage 1 motor parts from my tuner who I've been waiting on for what seems like a year now to build this motor up for me

I was trying to avoid doing this myself, but looks like the buck stops here!

Stay tuned
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Good luck, with a little patience you'll have it all together in no time.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Syclone
Good luck, with a little patience you'll have it all together in no time.
Thanks! The only thing I'm worried about is degreeing in the Morwi cams
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

Good luck Rick. Take your time, double-check everything and you should do fine
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
Good luck Rick. Take your time, double-check everything and you should do fine
You may yet get yours built before mine
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

Don`t think that will happen as mine will be rebuilt at the very earliest late this Fall but more likely next Fall. Would love to get it done now but I can`t really justify the cost at the moment (especially considering I have just forked out for a bunch of new, more minor mods.... again!!!!! OCMB again!!!)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Thanks! The only thing I'm worried about is degreeing in the Morwi cams
This might help if you haven't seen it...... http://www.muzzys.com/articles/lobe_centers.html

Quick Reply: Time for Stage I