Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Tachometer Options For Track Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Tachometer Options For Track Bike

I've converted the VTR to a track only bike. I've done a number of mods including a CBR1000 front end, full racing fairing, rearsets, radiator fan removal, etc. The next mod is to install an aluminum fairing stay that is sitting on my shelf (more weight reduction). I would like to install it with a tach only and a temp gauge or perhaps an after market gauge. So far all after market gauges are looking rather expensive. Another option is to cut off the speedometer section of the VTR gauges leaving me with the tach, warning lights and temperature gauge only. Has anyone tried this? I've tried the search engine to no avail! I'm open to other ideas as well including using the 1000rr gauges for the tach only but for some reason they are very expensive now on fleebay.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The CBR gauges works well... They are almost small enough to be "race gauges", with an effin big tacho, so it's easily seen... And with some fiddling, you get a somewhat crude but adjustable shift light as well if you like that...
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I think I've seen the single tack/no speedo chop done with stock gauges somewhere on here, just can't remember where. I do know that the speedo and tach aren't connected so you can easily just unplug one and make your own housing for the other... I even have 3d CAD models of the internals (gen 1) if you want to use them.

+1 on using CBR gauges though... small, water resistant, and cheaper than aftermarket units like trailtech. Pretty easy install, too...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Dude how about duct tape over the speedo & velcro the lap timer on there (the one you can afford since you didnt blow it on guages). Also no fan? Are you gonna race or just track day? For racing there are red flags and starting pregrids. You should keep a very close eye on the temp. You can find aftermarket tachs on ebay, I have one I got from jcwhitney.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
The CBR gauges works well... They are almost small enough to be "race gauges", with an effin big tacho, so it's easily seen... And with some fiddling, you get a somewhat crude but adjustable shift light as well if you like that...
The effin big tack is what I liked about that mod. The 04 to 07 gauge is quite big, whereas the 08-11 is much smaller. I'm assuming they would both be relatively easy to hook up. The shift light would be a bonus.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Dude how about duct tape over the speedo & velcro the lap timer on there (the one you can afford since you didnt blow it on guages). Also no fan? Are you gonna race or just track day? For racing there are red flags and starting pregrids. You should keep a very close eye on the temp. You can find aftermarket tachs on ebay, I have one I got from jcwhitney.
Track day only and so far the temps don't go past the half mark i.e. standard temps. When a red flag comes out I shut down until the all clear is given.
I have duct tape now but what a slightly smaller gauge that will easily fit the aluminum stay. I will check out jcwhitney to see what they have. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I think I've seen the single tack/no speedo chop done with stock gauges somewhere on here, just can't remember where. I do know that the speedo and tach aren't connected so you can easily just unplug one and make your own housing for the other... I even have 3d CAD models of the internals (gen 1) if you want to use them.

+1 on using CBR gauges though... small, water resistant, and cheaper than aftermarket units like trailtech. Pretty easy install, too...
If you can point me in the right direction, great. The 3D cads would be nice as well. I have the program at work that can read CAD drawings.
I will have to go through all the threads to see if anyone used the 08-10 gauges. They are quite compact by the looks of things.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
08-10 gauges are very nice, but everybody seems to want a pile of money for them, and they're still used....a good alternative is the stuff from Koso. They have a nice GP race tach setup called the RX-2NR. It has a nice big gauge face, programmable shift light, temp, and plenty of other features. It retails for $219 cdn, which seems like a pretty good deal for what you're getting. Here's a link to their site, check it out...
:: KOSO NORTH AMERICA :: Gauges, LED bars, Accessories for Motorcycles, ATV, Cars, Scooters and snowmobile
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
MotoGP

This is what I remember seeing; Chopped gen 2 gauges:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cluster-25919/
Old 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

CBR600F4I gauge cluster | eBay
Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have all winter to find a reasonably priced gauge or modify my current gauge.
The eBay gods will likely decide which way I go.