Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

The stupid mod question thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
The stupid mod question thread.

There are no stupid questions just stupid people. I realize that there is no need to start a new thread for every time I ask a stupid out there question. I also hereby bequeath this beautiful thread to all for your nutso questions like can I use bicycle bars on my VTR can I use pie plates for front brakes. And all that other fun stuff.

But to start off I do indeed have some fun questions.

1. Do people make or are there carbonfiber engine covers and are they lighter than stock. I dont mean stickers vinyl or bling I mean bolt on.

2. Has anyone attempted a monocoque seat for this bike before me?

3. Has anyone thought about putting the fuel in the tail of the bike therefor moving fuel down but requiring a pump. I mean over 5 gal just like new bikes.

3. Has anyone thought about pulling the whole light assy and making a big tunnel ram with some modern headlights jammed in the space.

4. How is a rainbow made.

6. Does anyone remember who put the 1000rr rim on and what he told me he cut. I have failed to search this but I remember it being fruitless to search and I cant remember what he said or how he contacted me.

7. Carbonfiber front sub to replace the steel one. Will this bad boy rattle right the FK aoart?

9. Not performance but bar end mirrors and keeping the fairing???
Old 04-13-2017, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
What are you smoking? Cuz I want some.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Superstock

As stated all crackpot ideas go here. Like my aluminum brake question.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
How do you lighten the farrk out of this bike? Besides me going on a diet, that is.. (grin)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Superstock

The exhaust is heavy and corrodes if you look at it funny. My moriwoki zero set changed the bike pretty good. Lighter and lower.
I am building a CF tank. Almost done.
The seat frame is heavy. An aluminum one will do but if you want to go to the max carbon fiber. They make em for the 1000rr.
The motor is heavy but you need that. So you can... Do the flywheel diet. E Marquez does em cheap. Pistonies and a crank job but that's for people like me who can't leave it alone. I don't reccomend it.
Rims are heavy for being aluminum. A mag rear wheel with a super sprocket and carbon disc will help the most. They do make fiber wheels as well. Pound for pound if I didn't blow my engine last year dolue to ccts Id have some mag rims.
Budget weight reduction can be had with a cbr1000rr rim. But! You have to drill the chain adjusters and grind the slots on the swing arm. It isn't too much just 1 mm. I'm hopefully doing it this weekend.
I highly reccomend following cyber Carl's cct guide and do that first!!! All you need is an m10 bolt and a but and a tap to convert yours for about 3$ pm me if you need step by step with photos. If I had done my ccts I'd have more goodies on the bike.

Also it pushes wayyy easier if its lighter.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 04-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RedStormJ
The exhaust is heavy and corrodes if you look at it funny. My moriwoki zero set changed the bike pretty good. Lighter and lower.
I am building a CF tank. Almost done.
The seat frame is heavy. An aluminum one will do but if you want to go to the max carbon fiber. They make em for the 1000rr.
The motor is heavy but you need that. So you can... Do the flywheel diet. E Marquez does em cheap. Pistonies and a crank job but that's for people like me who can't leave it alone. I don't reccomend it.
Rims are heavy for being aluminum. A mag rear wheel with a super sprocket and carbon disc will help the most. They do make fiber wheels as well. Pound for pound if I didn't blow my engine last year dolue to ccts Id have some mag rims.
Budget weight reduction can be had with a cbr1000rr rim. But! You have to drill the chain adjusters and grind the slots on the swing arm. It isn't too much just 1 mm. I'm hopefully doing it this weekend.
I highly reccomend following cyber Carl's cct guide and do that first!!! All you need is an m10 bolt and a but and a tap to convert yours for about 3$ pm me if you need step by step with photos. If I had done my ccts I'd have more goodies on the bike.

Also it pushes wayyy easier if its lighter.
Outstanding observations. The Flywheel, looks like an effective mod to do. Most mods to this bike are budget minded, as I bought a new '15 ZX-14R a few summers ago that is my main ride, so this VTR is strictly Sundays and the odd practice/track day.
Lighter wheels prolly are a very good move, if I can find a set for a reasonable $.

My bike came with ART CF 'zorsts, so I'm sticking with them. Funny you mentioned the Mori-Zero's. Had them on my 00RC-51, aka Money Pit.

I did the Mori rainbow 'zorsts, Mori race cams, GMD susp (Penske/Racetech), and other stuff 17 years ago, that I cannot remember.
Didn't know they had 'em for our SH's. Good info, thanx again.

ps: Your CF tank looks amazing. Wayyyy out of my budgie, but super-cool.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
But to start off I do indeed have some fun questions.

1. Do people make or are there carbonfiber engine covers and are they lighter than stock. I dont mean stickers vinyl or bling I mean bolt on.
No, there are crash covers but no bolt on replacements.

2. Has anyone attempted a monocoque seat for this bike before me?
Many different tail configurations have been tried. If you are going for weight savings, the Two Brothers Al sub frame was the lightest but solo use only.

3. Has anyone thought about putting the fuel in the tail of the bike therefor moving fuel down but requiring a pump. I mean over 5 gal just like new bikes.
It has been looked at but there really is no room anywhere without major mods.

3. Has anyone thought about pulling the whole light assy and making a big tunnel ram with some modern headlights jammed in the space.
Tunnel rams and CV carbs don't play well together. So again, it could be done but major mods.

4. How is a rainbow made.
Light refracting through water vapor...

6. Does anyone remember who put the 1000rr rim on and what he told me he cut. I have failed to search this but I remember it being fruitless to search and I cant remember what he said or how he contacted me.
No idea.....

7. Carbonfiber front sub to replace the steel one. Will this bad boy rattle right the FK aoart?
If you look at the stock fairing stay you will see that it has large weights inside to keep the steel from shaking, what do you think would happen to some carbon tubes?

9. Not performance but bar end mirrors and keeping the fairing???
Look up mikstr's bike.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
can i saw the rear cylinder off my bike and make it into a single??
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fabiostar
Not sure how long you've been around Fabio, but Ducati did just that in 1993 with their Supermono, which was effectively a 916 engine with the back cylinder removed, and a nifty dummy rod/rocker installed to maintain balance.

CW Classics: Ducati Supermono - First Look | Cycle World
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Not sure how long you've been around Fabio, but Ducati did just that in 1993 with their Supermono, which was effectively a 916 engine with the back cylinder removed, and a nifty dummy rod/rocker installed to maintain balance.

CW Classics: Ducati Supermono - First Look | Cycle World

lol that was just the answer i was waiting for lol...the supermono was for me the best looking bike ever produced
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Superstock

Damn 8541 I can't believe the time you took to answer all of those. Thanks mister. I will build a fiber tail and tell you all how it goes.
By the way the 1000rr rim can be put on easily with a drill a marker micrometer and patience. The chain adjusters totally fit it some of the support is relieved you need the adjusters CBR axle and break to make it easy. You also have to bore the vrt adjusters and grind the inside face of the vtr adjuster or swinger to make it all fit.
I dunno what I saved but with a new tire to proper psi the bike sits higher and flatter. Also it seems smoother but that could be just enthusiasm.
The tank should be done being molded this week. I still need to buy a petcock for it. I really want slide carbs and easy access. Its gonna be ****!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Squid

Twitchy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fabiostar
No need to remove rear cylinder.....
Ducati V-One ? Twin to Supercharged Single Conversion