Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Still have that throaty rumble and cruising around 3 grand sounds awesome, not to mention when you open it up is just amazing
My Arata's are like that. Nice deep rumble at lower revs but as soon as I open her up at high revs the exhaust note changes to a more high pitched scream. They are not obnoxiously loud and for me the perfect balance, low speed deep throaty rumble and a sound level that requires no ear plugs at high speed. My ears most likely get more damaged from the wind noise.

Name:  _DSF8898_zpsf765a38c.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  3.28 MB

Your going to have every Tom, Dick and Harry saying this is the exhaust to get. Most likely the exhaust one uses on their own bike. We all have our personal preferance. My advice to the OP is to listen to as many different cans on these bikes as possible before making a descision. Preferably in the flesh as Video gives you an idea but is not a true representation. Work out which position you like, high, mid, low level. Which Material, Ti, stainless, carbon. Be aware that cheaper carbon can have a habit of blowing holes under the pressure of the big v twin especially if packing is not good. Then work out how much you want to spend, then it's a case of patience. I'm sure something will come up for sale on the forum at some stage which meets your requirements. You may find yourself trying a few different cans out before your content.

If you want something in the meantime, cheap, not the best quality and stupidly loud, then Dan Moto is the way to go.

(:-})
Old 08-09-2014, 03:04 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Another alternative to the Dans is a brand called Mussari.

They are on Ebay for $399 Oz.

Have had them for two years. modded the baffles and love the sound.

The good thing about them is that I was able to rotate the link pipes to accommodate the higher mounting brackets I fitted without any hassle.

So you can have low or higher mount if you want.

I'm sure there are better pipes around but these are value for money and sound great when modded.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
I can't recommend Leo Vince. The baffles in mine make a chirping sound that is really irritating.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 AM
SuperBike

Remove the baffles and run a bead of heat proof silicone around them where they sit in the can.

I had a similar problem with Leo Vince on an Aprilia I owned.

It sorted the problem!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Superstock

Thanks Kenmore,
Do you need to drill out the pop-rivets on the back of the can to get the baffle out? I had little luck removing the screw and pulling at it. In the old days there used to be a cross-bar on the baffle so you could get a good grip and yank it out.
Those Mussari pipes look pretty good on your Hawk.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Robert,
I would have returned mine had I not found this solution. Overall I am really happy with the looks, but agree they should not be shipped with the spigot end caps which I found to be the issue with chirping on decel.
Read my post here.... FWIW
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...chirping+sound

Pipes-leo-conical-w-quiet-insert.jpg

Pipes-leos-w-conical-ends.jpg
Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

The Leo that I had on the Aprilia were called G.P pipes.

The baffle was held in with a hex head screw in a recess on the under side of the pipe.

Removed screw and used multi grips to yank baffle out.

It had some sort of fibrous tape around it that formed a seal against the body of the muffler.

That is where I put the high temp silicone and the problem was gone.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Superstock

My pipes are the old style SBKs. They don't have either the end cone or the spigot inset that Upland shows in his pictures. They look like can Upland removed the cone from. I can shine a light in and look right down the inside of the perforated baffle. It looks like I need to get another pair or two of needle-nose vise-grips to yank that sucker.
Beautiful Aprilia there Kenmore.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Superstock

Sorry to hijack your thread here, Berry. At least be warned that Leo Vinces can be a royal pain in the ***.

Last edited by RobertLever; 08-10-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Squid

jagg1174 is on a distinguished road
I agree, you should listen to as many as possible. Mine came already installed on the bike and wasn't looking to spend any money. I also knew the quality of 2 bros since I've owned them on previous bikes. Mine was an experiment that is why I cut them down, but only enough to where I could go more if needed.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Squid

FUGITV is on a distinguished road
I have the high mount Jardine RT-1's on mine right now. Had them on my '98 I had and they were on there for almost 90K miles and were still holding up well. Nice and throaty but not 'obnoxiously' loud. I had a set of DanMoto's carbon fibers on this bike and they fell apart in under a year. the internal baffle broke all the spot welds and tore apart the carbon body. Danmoto said tough titty so I threw them in the trash and bought whats on there now. Love em, good sound and quality

Name:  IMG_20140812_193352_578_zpsd17d42c2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  163.4 KB
Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
FUGITV That is a very nice colur scheme you have for your VTR there. I really like it. I have heard that before with the Dan Moto's, especially the Carbon ones. The only ones that seam to be half decent with regards to not falling apart is the conical GP pipes, but they are still not the best. Fitment issues is the other thing with the Dan Moto's. What's one expect from the Chinese.

Quality costs money in the the end!!! Better to pay the same as one would for new Dan Moto's on a set of better quality brand used cans. There's some good bargains to be had for around $350 on the used market if ones prepared to wait for the right cans at the right price.

(:-})
Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RobertLever
Sorry to hijack your thread here, Berry. At least be warned that Leo Vinces can be a royal pain in the ***.
I ran Leo's for years with absolutely no issues.
I did remove the baffles while installing them, which was very easy.

They performed fine until I installed the Akra system I run now.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
FUGITV

I'm liking the Camaro too. tell us about it. 67 rally grill?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Squid

FUGITV is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pidge
FUGITV

I'm liking the Camaro too. tell us about it. 67 rally grill?

67 RS my mom ordered new. 39K on it right now.

327 with 3 speed on the floor and bucket seats
Old 09-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents!

Just because an exhaust is loud doesn't always mean its the best fit for your bike.

One thing I love to do on my hawk is when I spot pedestrians walking or bicyclists riding near the road is to get up around 45mph in 5th gear and as I approach the target I hit the kill switch which turns off the motor.

I give the throttle a quick couple of blips and turn on the kill switch right next to the intended target and BANG!

The hawk gives a loud backfire similar to a hand gun going off!

I have had kids duck for cover thinking its a drive by and the best is to hit the bicyclists in full riding gear, I have made a group of them crash after a backfire right next to them...

You can only backfire on a carbureted bike and the hawk is one of the best out there!

SIRR1
Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Squid

tomb393 is on a distinguished road
Please tell me you are joking because you sound like a real ***! Scaring kids and causing bicyclists to crash is nothing to be proud of.

Last edited by tomb393; 09-07-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ckfires-28506/
Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomb393
Please tell me you are joking because you sound like a real ***! Scaring kids and causing bicyclists to crash is nothing to be proud of.
+1 ... A real ambassador of good will for fellow motorcyclists.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Squid

HellsAekel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SIRR1
My 2 cents!

Just because an exhaust is loud doesn't always mean its the best fit for your bike.

One thing I love to do on my hawk is when I spot pedestrians walking or bicyclists riding near the road is to get up around 45mph in 5th gear and as I approach the target I hit the kill switch which turns off the motor.

I give the throttle a quick couple of blips and turn on the kill switch right next to the intended target and BANG!

The hawk gives a loud backfire similar to a hand gun going off!

I have had kids duck for cover thinking its a drive by and the best is to hit the bicyclists in full riding gear, I have made a group of them crash after a backfire right next to them...

You can only backfire on a carbureted bike and the hawk is one of the best out there!

SIRR1

ROTF LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be the funniest thing I've read on here so far