Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New JD Rear Shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Ouch! My comments were referring to an otherwise stock setup. My apologies for the confusion!
Sorry about the ouch part... might have been a bit too harsh, but it's kind of common around here with confusion...

Yeah on a stock bike you are right... And BTW with your shock on my bike the last two seasons, belive me, if there is anyone I trust in terms of suspension work and advice, it's you... I'm kind of in the process of trying to convince myself I do not need to swap to an 900RR shock... I'll get back to you on that... (Ie when my week self discipline breaks down...)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
I'll get back to you on that... (Ie when my week self discipline breaks down...)
I wonder how long we are going to have to wait...... 3, 2, 1...... never mind.....lol
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

Um... Start at 5 and you might be a bit closer to the truth... But that's about it...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
HEY !!!! stop harrassing Jamie so he can build my shock.......
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Um... Start at 5 and you might be a bit closer to the truth... But that's about it...
Oh I know the feeling.....
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Sorry about the ouch part... might have been a bit too harsh, but it's kind of common around here with confusion...

No worries. Rock on my Tweets!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Squid

andreaspan is on a distinguished road
hi can someone to help me with some questinos i have i have a HONDA CB 400 SUPER FOUR 1998 year and wonder if some can help me how i can rebuit them and tell how muts ml's of oil need and the nitrogen presure thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by andreaspan
hi can someone to help me with some questinos i have i have a HONDA CB 400 SUPER FOUR 1998 year and wonder if some can help me how i can rebuit them and tell how muts ml's of oil need and the nitrogen presure thanks
Probably not the best forum for this question. What I can tell you is that there is not a set volume of oil but rather a procedure that you need to use to properly fill and bleed a rear shock - not for the beginner. Nitrogen pressure is normally around 200-250psi.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Squid

rwjr14 is on a distinguished road
Question f4i shock

has anyone actually had a dyno report done on the f4i shock before and after it's been revalved
i just had it dynoed at the local suspension shop basically that shock is useless
the full range of adjustabilty on the f4i is equal to one click on a ohlin shock
the way it was explained to me is if the clikers don't adjust anything it doesn't matter what you put in it you still have limited adjustment
the graph showed between low med. high were almost identical
now before you guys rip me lets see the data and go from there
i'm not willing to spend 300 - 400 on something that doesnt add some improvement
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rwjr14
has anyone actually had a dyno report done on the f4i shock before and after it's been revalved
i just had it dynoed at the local suspension shop basically that shock is useless
the full range of adjustabilty on the f4i is equal to one click on a ohlin shock
the way it was explained to me is if the clikers don't adjust anything it doesn't matter what you put in it you still have limited adjustment
i'm not willing to spend 300 - 400 on something that doesnt add some improvement
No dyno reports, sorry... But you are only partially correct...

One, it will not ever have the full dynamic range of the Öhlins, nor will it ever need that...

The reason is simple, the Öhlins come from the factory with a standard spring, and since the average dofus will put it on the bike like that, it needs to be able to be set for a wide range of "best guesses" with that spring...

Then you can have the spring and valving swapped to make it fit for your weight... At that point you will never ever use the end of the range, but finetune it in the middle around your optimal settings...

Two, it does have a lot more range than one click of the Öhlins... Trust me on that... With the stock suspension, I felt no real difference whatever i did with the shock... And it just felt numb (no movement, no bounce back) when i fiddled with it in the garage, and on the road it felt awful...

The F4i, done correct by Jamie, feels a whole lot different... I can compress it by putting weight on the bike while stationary, (takes effort!) but it moves back in a controlled manner... And on the road I can directly feel the difference of one or two clicks on an adjuster when I try that...

It's not as good as the Öhlins, but it's pretty damned close, and i have compared the two on two different bikes, back to back... And that good enough for me, modifying a bike on a budget... It's well worth the money...

Lemme guess, the shop sells Öhlins?

Last edited by Tweety; 04-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 AM
SuperBike

Sure, I have dyno charts. I'll try to post them up when I'm back in the office.

Was this a stock F4i shock? If so, of course it's going to look bad - it's a stock shock. You can still get a big improvement gain with a properly setup valving. If the valving is correct for your application then you won't need a huge range of external adjustment. Agreed that the stock Showas do not have the adjustment range of an Ohlins, but there are problems with Ohlins shocks out of the box too. It sounds like he is trying to sell you an Ohlins so I would not be surprised if he failed to mention that to you.

It's all about value: if you can get 90% of the performance for 25% of the cost that's a no brainer in my book!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
I finally got the bike out today after installing the F4i shock and took a pretty nice ride.
WOW, I can't believe the difference. The new rear shock combined with the forks that Jamie did at the end of last season, feels like I am riding a completely different bike.
I can't believe I waited so long to get the suspension done. If I knew the difference was going to be so remarkable, this would have been done a long time ago.
I have had the bike for almost 8 years now and this is the BEST mod I have done.
To anyone considering having a shock made for your specifications...DO IT!
It may seem expensive, but it really it isn't when you consider what a comparable shock (that is custom made for your weight) would cost you elsewhere.
You will NOT be disappointed with Jamie's work.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Squid

dbog44 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Sure, I have dyno charts. I'll try to post them up when I'm back in the office.

Was this a stock F4i shock? If so, of course it's going to look bad - it's a stock shock. You can still get a big improvement gain with a properly setup valving. If the valving is correct for your application then you won't need a huge range of external adjustment. Agreed that the stock Showas do not have the adjustment range of an Ohlins, but there are problems with Ohlins shocks out of the box too. It sounds like he is trying to sell you an Ohlins so I would not be surprised if he failed to mention that to you.

It's all about value: if you can get 90% of the performance for 25% of the cost that's a no brainer in my book!
Jamie...block off time in December, cause thats when I stop riding for the year and tear the bike down for annual mods. I am for sure sending you forks and rear f4i....
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Jamie...My shock is on its way to you. After our talk, I can't wait til you've done your magic to it. This is alot of good publicity for you!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Squid

rwjr14 is on a distinguished road
Cool f4i shock dyno report

still waiting for those dyno reports any chance you can post those soon
hey tweety maybe you should work for ohlins because it seems you have a sensitive *** maybe they could get rid of there expensive testing equipment then and lower the cost of ohlin shocks
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 AM
MotoGP

hey tweety maybe you should work for ohlins because it seems you have a sensitive *** maybe they could get rid of there expensive testing equipment then and lower the cost of ohlin shocks
Hm... Lemme see... You said you didn't want to spend money on something unless it was proven... I never did in any way say what i posted was proof, it was and still is opinion... But it's well founded opinion since I have tested both stock, stock F4i and modified F4i and Öhlins...

Jamie offered dynosheets, but you didn't get them... Bohoo, tough for you... Then, don't buy the service from Jamie... That's warranted...

But with that as background, you think it's OK to insult people?

My opinion... And note, there are no dynosheets to prove anything... You are rude, stupid and shortsighted... Ie, from now on, you are on my list of people I actively ignore...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
now see what you did you heathen? you pissed the pope off and now you've been excommunicated?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
No dyno reports, sorry... The F4i, done correct by Jamie, feels a whole lot different... I can compress it by putting weight on the bike while stationary, (takes effort!) but it moves back in a controlled manner.
I mentioned this somewhere else and to Jamie, but I got frustrated trying to adjust the rear shock by pushing down on the seat and took the seat off and put a short board across the subframe right behind the tank and that helped feel shock rebound better. Still not satisfied, I removed the board and and reinstalled the seat to try another method. Throw your leg over the tank(w/o wiping your mirror out) and sit backwards on the seat, put the kickstand up, reach down and grasp the passenger pegs(gloves help), compress the shock several times to get things warmed up. Get off and adjust accordingly. You can really feel what the shock is doing so much better than standing next to the bike and pushing down on the seat and get a really good idea of what your shock is doing.

Jamie modified an F4I shock I got off ebay including the gold valve and i couldn't be more pleased with how well it works.

PS...........I also specified a yellow spring and put Ohlins stickers all around both side to impress sport bikers who often bow their heads or otherwise demonstrate respect when they gaze upon it. haha naaahh!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
Just curious, I have a recently rebuilt Fox F3 shock. With the adjustable ride height thats on it, will it be long enough to give the proper ride height and suspension geometry?

If not, could one of those adapters be made to fit the fox shock to adapt onto the superhawk? What is the right springrate for the superhawk? Is it close to the F3 springrates? Im tring to build a race bike to race in classics.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by bigbob65
Just curious, I have a recently rebuilt Fox F3 shock. With the adjustable ride height thats on it, will it be long enough to give the proper ride height and suspension geometry?
No, the F3 shock is way too short for that.

If not, could one of those adapters be made to fit the fox shock to adapt onto the superhawk?
Sure, not a problem.

What is the right springrate for the superhawk? Is it close to the F3 springrates? Im tring to build a race bike to race in classics.
No, not even close. The correct rate for the VTR is significantly higher. You didn't mention your weight so I can't give you the correct rate for you, but for example, a 200lb rider on the CBRF3 would need an 850lb/in spring and the same rider on the VTR a 1000lb/in part.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Hey, Jamie. Do you do any older shocks? I have a 1985 Sabre I'd like refreshed if you do.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Nice opening posts and what a way to introduce yourself.....
Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Hey, Jamie. Do you do any older shocks? I have a 1985 Sabre I'd like refreshed if you do.

In fact, those older shocks are ones that I specialize in. While you technically can "rebuild" them, it won't do any good. Shoot me an e-mail and I can give you more info.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jamie. I might not have to do it If This guy trades me this superhawk Im looking at. already has an Ohlins.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Initial impressions....

Just installed the JD shock. OEM valving and a proper 950lb. spring (210 lbs. fully geared)

Wow. The bike tracks a lot better now and I am using minimal to no effort to maintain a line on hard corner exits with the F4i shock.

With the new shock, I rode at pace on a road I use to shake-down suspension setting and components. The results were night and day compared to the OEM.

The new shock eliminated the wallowing which I found extremely difficult, and in some instances impossible to tune-out with the OEM, in the meanwhile maintaining enough plushness for basic street/commute riding.

For $270 I'd say this is one hell of an upgrade. My only regret is not opting out for the new valving.

On a side note, the new F4i show will place your preload adjustment collar at the bottom of the shock and tuck the rebound damping adjustment screw behind the swing arm. A very minor inconvenience considering the value you get form this refit.

Anyway, I am looking forward to really exploring the properties of this shock a lot more. I'll do a detailed write-up when i get it all sorted out.

So far so good. Nice work Jamie!

Last edited by Karbon; 06-17-2011 at 01:04 PM.