Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

posibly an awsome rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
posibly an awsome rear shock

i spend a lot of my time working on and modding ATV's ive come to the realization that the rear shock from a yamaha banshee is posibly a perfect alternative to a 600$ penske or other aftermarket shock. they are the right length, more adjustable. fully rebuildable, etc. i was thinking a ohlins aftermarket banshee shock can be had for about 200$ and would probably be about right. the atv and the hawk actually weigh about the same. even a stock banshee shock with its resevior and more adjustability would be a possible upgrade... anybody got thier bike apart and willing to test this thoery??
Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
So how do you want to test this? Send a stock shock and install it?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I must admit that I was wondering the same type of thing as I browsed eBay the other night. However, as I am not equipped to re-valve shocks and don't really feel like losing money on a shock purchase, I decided to let it go. It would be quite neat if it worked though. There has to be at least one other vehicle out there with a shock that would fit...

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Only problem with that is you will still have to get it revalved and resprung. The two might weigh the same but the Banshee has 4 shocks. The VTR essentially has 2. Double the spring rate. Double the damping.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Another shock that might fit is the rear suspension shock out of a late model Yamaha snowmobile equipped with the Monoshock RA rear suspension, it's a big honkin' unit....
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
If I'm not mistaken I believe the Banshee has 3 shocks. Like a bike, it only has a single rear shock. The two front shocks would be way too long for the SH, so we must be talkin about the rear one. I'm sure shock work would still be necessary.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've got an old monroe off my taurus I think might fit sorry...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nova, you're right. One shock in the rear. Question is, will it fit with the piggyback resorvoir?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 AM
Superstock

fourwheelers hav 3 shocks. basically its the same setup as a bike. 2 up front one in back. the valving and spring rate should be VERY close to begin with. if anything the ATV shock might be a bit soft as on a fourwheeler its expected to soak up huge bumps over a longish travel. i come across parts fairly cheep a lot of times and if sumone has their bike a part soon i might consider just sending a shock to test with. i dont have one in stock but i could prolly come up with one. or if sumone just wanted to grab a stock one off of ebay and let us know how fitment went that would be great too...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Squid

Flight_996 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if this one would fit the bill....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-06...13379545QQrdZ1
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Superstock

it should be perfect. theres only a couple of MINOR things to double check. the piggy bag res MIGHT contact the battery box, wouldnt be hard to notch the bottom of the box.

while the shock is the right length. the mounts might be a tad wide or narrow, like i said in eyballing things it looks close, i would imagine at the MOST some filing or a couple washers and it would be perfect.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Unless you're super light - like 100# - then you will need to get it resprung and revalved. Typical value for a motorcyle shock is about 600#. That one is 450. FWIW, I have a 1000# spring on my Fox TC. I'm 225# and that seems like way too much spring but it's fine for me. It may be the linkage on the Superhawk necessitates a stronger spring.