Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New JD Rear Shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
New JD Rear Shock

Just received my rebuilt F4i rear shock from Jamie and here are some pictures before I put it on the bike.

New JD Rear Shock-dsc05156.jpg

New JD Rear Shock-dsc05157.jpg

New JD Rear Shock-dsc05158.jpg
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Looking good Patrick! Should make for a noticeable improvement over the stock piece. Let us know how it feels

cheers
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't mind me asking... what are you into it for, shock and all?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
By the way, you can throw away that old piston. I just tossed it in there in case you were curious what it looked like. I've got a box full of stock pistons, so it would have went in the trash can anyway.

I'm glad you like it!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by inderocker
If you don't mind me asking... what are you into it for, shock and all?

The current prices for what Patrick had done are:

Conversion to fit VTR = $140
New spring = $85
Gold Valve = $190 (special spring pricing is over, sorry!)

You can get shocks on eBay for $25 or less including shipping all of the time. For less than $450 you can have a shock that performs as good (maybe better) than ones costing almost twice that much. It really is well worth the investment.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Jamie

Just reading about this..is the F4i shock the only one that will work or the easiest to modify or what!? What exactly has to be modified? Seems like a great low cost alternative and I may well be interested.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
For less than $450 you can have a shock that performs as good (maybe better) than ones costing almost twice that much. It really is well worth the investment.
Exactly and most importantly it's now. I don't have to follow countless forums or ebay sites scouring for a Wilbers or Penske for months waiting for one to come along. I can pull the trigger and hit the target. This is my kind of solution. Congrats and bravo - very well done!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
haha ignore the post, i just realized that f4/i's already have remote res' in their stock shocks.

how much for a JD rebuild of an rc51 shock? :]

Last edited by thefauxnarchist; 05-20-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Superstock

yikes i just noticed you have a howto write up on your site on how to do a shock rebuild LOL...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
I got it on today and tomorrow I am going to dial her in. Should be fun.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
yikes i just noticed you have a howto write up on your site on how to do a shock rebuild LOL...
Yeah, that's for an old VF shock. Those are totally different from the modern shocks we are discussing here!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
how much for a JD rebuild of an rc51 shock? :]

That's pretty simple, $65 is all that I charge for that.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Superstock

JD, that's awesome! will have to take you up on that once budget permits. just got the motor back from my mechanic, but i have so much other stuff to handle, not to mention work and graduation first.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I have a JD FI4 conversion on the way,,, of note,,,,, Make darn sure you know what shock your looking at if you do the ebay deal,, , I bid and bought what I was told was an Fi4 shock,, Jamie quickly noticed the pic was wrong, or the auction description was wrong.. turned out it was the auction. Dude did not know what he had,,, it looked close, to me, but Jamie quickly showed me what I was looking for and what was wrong with the one I bought.. He also set me up to rid myself of a shock bought but not usable for what I needed.

Stand up guy.. Look forward to putting the shock on my bike when I come home for leave.
Jamie, might I suggest you post a few picks the the correct shock with easy to identify markers that ID it as an Fi4 shock,, and if you have them, a few picks of commonly mis identified shocks and what shows them as so to the untrained eye.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Just shipped my Stock F4 shock to Jamie, cant wait to get it and install. NEVER have any doubts about working with Jamie. Always takes time to answer my NOOBY questions and has been very patient as you all have been. Thanks SUPERHAWK FORUM
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
that looks wicked man, i cant wait to get mine done.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
i have a shock that may work for you. GP suspension told me it was set up for race and not so much road......uchi PM me i can send pictures. You pay shipping and run it it while and decide if it works for you. it is sprung a hyper pro spring , agressive 270 lb rider...... http://www.hyperpro.com/ spring is from these guys...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
pm about to be sent
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Jamie, might I suggest you post a few picks the the correct shock with easy to identify markers that ID it as an Fi4 shock,, and if you have them, a few picks of commonly mis identified shocks and what shows them as so to the untrained eye.

^^^ what HE said.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road

Wise decision going with the JD route, most noticeable and biggest improvement so far.

Thanks again JD

BBB
Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
JD,

From what i remember there was a shock conversion with a ride height adjustable linkage that was in the works, no?

thnx.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Karbon
JD,

From what i remember there was a shock conversion with a ride height adjustable linkage that was in the works, no?

thnx.

Yes, I completed that about a year ago. The problem is that it's too expensive and (in my opinion) not worth it. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to send them a quote on this conversion.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
SuperBike

Ok, you guys asked for it - here it is. I pulled out a couple of shocks to give you an idea of what to look for.

Here are the key points to observe:

F3 - The hose is long, that's probably the biggest giveaway. The orange arrow points to hose.
F4 - The hose is short as seen by the green arrow. Also note the type and orientation of the reservoir fitting (pink arrow).
900RR - The hose on this shock is short like the F4, but the best way to tell that it's a 900RR is that the spring preload adjuster is above the spring and not below it like the 600's (blue arrow). This spring adjustment will be gold on the later 900RR shocks like what is shown or will be black and look like the others in the picture - but it will always be above the spring. Also note that the 900RR's have the hose going straight into the reservoir without a banjo bolt (pink arrow).

Something to keep in mind is that the 900RR shocks, especially the later years, are just as good as an F4 unit. When it comes to converting to fit the VTR, the 900RR actually makes just a good a candidate as the F4 units.

Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot for the info Jamie. Are those all Showa? Do you personally prefer any of them? Same performance post rebuild?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Not sure anyone knows the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm swaping out the stock swingarm with an SP2 swingarm. Can I use a JD shock or do I have to use an SP2 shock?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Squid

zwoehr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
Not sure anyone knows the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm swaping out the stock swingarm with an SP2 swingarm. Can I use a JD shock or do I have to use an SP2 shock?
You will need a non stock length shock or adjustable length shock plus custom linkage for the swap. Shock length will depend on the leverage ratio of the linkage you go with.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
Neither actually... Sorry...

Originally Posted by zwoehr
You will need a non stock length shock or adjustable length shock plus custom linkage for the swap. Shock length will depend on the leverage ratio of the linkage you go with.
Correct... My suggestion either get an F4i shock rebuilt by Jamie, skip the cnversion for the VTR, and keep it stock length... Then build an adjustable clevis (I have posted images in other threads) Or have Jamie make one that are length adjustable... Expensive, but worth it...

As a side note, considering the fact that it's an act of self punishment to adjust the spring setting on the F4i shock down inside the RC/SP swing arm it might be a better bet to choose the 900RR shock with the adjuster up top instead... I didn't know that it was an option, otherwise it might have made my life easier...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Killemall
Thanks a lot for the info Jamie. Are those all Showa? Do you personally prefer any of them? Same performance post rebuild?
Yes, all are Showas. The performance varies in stock form, after a revalve they would all perform equally.

Originally Posted by Tweety
Correct... My suggestion either get an F4i shock rebuilt by Jamie, skip the cnversion for the VTR, and keep it stock length... Then build an adjustable clevis (I have posted images in other threads) Or have Jamie make one that are length adjustable... Expensive, but worth it......

For most guys +6mm length over stock works very well. I try to work out these details with each rider to ensure that the shock is as close to ideal as possible. Sometimes I go +4mm on the lenth, this allows the uppper mount to be shimmed to suit. Shimming the upper mount is fairly easy and cheap, so usually this is a good way to get things dialed in without a lot of extra cost.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
For most guys +6mm length over stock works very well. I try to work out these details with each rider to ensure that the shock is as close to ideal as possible. Sometimes I go +4mm on the lenth, this allows the uppper mount to be shimmed to suit. Shimming the upper mount is fairly easy and cheap, so usually this is a good way to get things dialed in without a lot of extra cost.
Sorry Jamie,but you are dead wrong, please don't confuse the issue... You are coming in at the tail end of a discussion without reading the start of it...

The reason one of your fixed lenght conversions won't work very well is that my recommendation was in regards specificly to when you swap in an SP2 swingarm...

If your not doing that, your advice is sound... If you are doing a swingarm swap, you can either go with known numbers (I have posted working ones in other threads) or have the shock lenght fully adjustable...
Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Sorry Jamie,but you are dead wrong, please don't confuse the issue... You are coming in at the tail end of a discussion without reading the start of it...

The reason one of your fixed lenght conversions won't work very well is that my recommendation was in regards specificly to when you swap in an SP2 swingarm...

If your not doing that, your advice is sound... If you are doing a swingarm swap, you can either go with known numbers (I have posted working ones in other threads) or have the shock lenght fully adjustable...

Ouch! My comments were referring to an otherwise stock setup. My apologies for the confusion!

Quick Reply: New JD Rear Shock