Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New DMr BD40 Series Rear Shock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
New DMr BD40 Series Rear Shock!!!

This is really exciting news for us here at DMr - last month we released to the public our new shock, coined BD40 Series.

A very brief back story: when I started this business over 19 years ago the dream was to build my own shock design. At the time getting ready to start a family, was still in my 20's, etc.......so things were different. I decided to start slowly and employ the crawl-walk-run philosophy. That worked great, except at the walk stage I became very busy and could just about keep up with workload. That was a real blessing and I'm still thankful to this day. However, success sometimes has a negative side, in this case it was distracting me from the original dream. I had been looking at the shock design on the computer screen for over 10 years but hadn't made it a reality.

Fast forward to 2017 when I made a conscious decision to transition our business and focus on our rear shock design. Then about 6 months later I moved the shop and that delayed things again. I pushed hard during 2018 and made it happen.

Here are some photos of the final result. Naturally, the VTR is one of the models we are offering this shock for. Shocks have spring preload, compression and rebound damping, and ride height adjustments. A high/low compression adjustment model is on the dyno being tested now and will be available very soon. The list price for the single compression adjustment version is [see website for pricing]. I'm offering them at an introductory price of [see website for pricing] but that won't last long so if anyone is interested please let me know right away.

While our website is being updated please shoot me an email for ordering information. jamie@daughertymotorsports.com I'd also like to hear your feedback on what you think!

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 01-26-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Wow! Looks fantastic Jamie. Congrats on the achievement and best of luck with sales (not that you need luck)!

EDIT:
Do you mind if I share this on the Facebook group?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Congrats Jamie!!! Slick looking unit
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Beautifully done.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Permanent Student
Squid

2.5i is on a distinguished road
Exciting! Shock is to be my next upgrade and this is certainly more appealing than a new Öhlins/nitron etc.

I understand if you prefer not to release this info, and please pardon my ignorance on the product - but would you be able to share more information on the hardware; what the shock is based on/manufacturer of components and other details? Also is this an item a local suspension shop would be able to rebuild in the future or does it contain properietary parts? (I’m located in Canada)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 2.5i
Exciting! Shock is to be my next upgrade and this is certainly more appealing than a new Öhlins/nitron etc.

I understand if you prefer not to release this info, and please pardon my ignorance on the product - but would you be able to share more information on the hardware; what the shock is based on/manufacturer of components and other details? Also is this an item a local suspension shop would be able to rebuild in the future or does it contain properietary parts? (I’m located in Canada)
All components are my own design. Most of them machined right here in our Fort Wayne, Indiana shop.

Shock is completely rebuildable by any reputable shop. They could get the service items from us, but the seals are common sizes so they probably already have them.

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 01-09-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Wow! Looks fantastic Jamie. Congrats on the achievement and best of luck with sales (not that you need luck)!

EDIT:
Do you mind if I share this on the Facebook group?
Sure man, go for it!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Wow Jamie,

Congtaulaions on achieving your dream..

As you know I have one of your modded shocks on my VTR here in Australia and sing its praises to any VTR owner that I encounter.

I can only imagine that this unit will be exceptional value and like the one I got from you transform any bike it is fitted to.

Can you let me know what other models you will be manufacturing this model shock for so that I can let my mates know that they have a very viable alternative to Ohlins etc.

I wish you every success with this venture !

Well done !
Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Squid

PT Matt2 is on a distinguished road
Very nice. Been thinking about getting an Ohlins, but this sounds better. Might as well change the shock linkage bearings while I have it apart. Need to put stiffer springs in the forks, change the oil and seals. Might as well change the steering head bearings while I have it apart. 21 year old bearings!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Shock is completely rebuildable by any reputable shop.* They could get the service items from us, but the seals are common sizes so they probably already have them.
YES, thats what i was looking for..Well done
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Jamie, Great job! For those of us not so technically versed, what will the High/Low compression adjustment do?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Can you let me know what other models you will be manufacturing this model shock for so that I can let my mates know that they have a very viable alternative to Ohlins etc.
Right now we are offering them for the Yamaha R3, Kaw Ninja 650, Honda VFR750 & 800, VTR, CBR1100XX, CBR500 and CBR650 models. Soon I will be coming out with versions for the Yamaha FZ-07 and -09's.

Just around the corner I'll have a high/low compression adjustment option too. It's on the dyno now and once everything is sorted out I will be able to accept orders for them.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Right now we are offering them for the Yamaha R3, Kaw Ninja 650, Honda VFR750 & 800, VTR, CBR1100XX, CBR500 and CBR650 models. Soon I will be coming out with versions for the Yamaha FZ-07 and -09's.

Just around the corner I'll have a high/low compression adjustment option too. It's on the dyno now and once everything is sorted out I will be able to accept orders for them.
Jamie, what will be the price point for the high/ low speed compression model?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Jamie, what will be the price point for the high/ low speed compression model?
It's looking like a $50 adder.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Whoa! Cool deal, man! Valving is still a black art to me... where'd you get inspiration to design your own system?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Whoa! Cool deal, man! Valving is still a black art to me... where'd you get inspiration to design your own system?
Making my own shock was something I've wanted to do since right after I graduated from college in 1997. That's during the time I was racing and it was very clear that horsepower didn't matter - it was all about the handling. I ran a CBR600 against SRAD GSX-R750's and they did not have any advantage. The more I got into suspension the more I enjoyed it.

The rest, as they say, is history....
Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Jamie, Great job! For those of us not so technically versed, what will the High/Low compression adjustment do?
It offers separate adjustment for low shaft speeds and high shaft speeds. In other words, there are two compression adjustment screws. This typically only helps on the track where you are generating higher shaft velocities. For the street you would not really be able to make use of it. It's good for bling though!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Custom?

Can you customize this for an <ahem> larger fellow? Rick at Cogent has always done my forks and shocks for my race, off road, and dual sport bikes dialing in my larger than normal body.
I quit racing in 2018, age and ability you know, but still like riding a good handling bike.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by YMRacing
Can you customize this for an <ahem> larger fellow? Rick at Cogent has always done my forks and shocks for my race, off road, and dual sport bikes dialing in my larger than normal body.
I quit racing in 2018, age and ability you know, but still like riding a good handling bike.
Everything we make is customized for each order to meet the rider's specific application. We do not stock any finished goods on the shelf. This is unique in the industry! It allows us to tailor every order so specific customer requests can be accommodated.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Jamie, are we there yet? I don't see on the service order form a place to indicate single compression version vs High / Low adjustable.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Jamie, are we there yet? I don't see on the service order form a place to indicate single compression version vs High / Low adjustable.
PM sent
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Jamie, I was going to PM you but others may need this info as well. What's the suggested Rider sag for the rear?
Old 01-26-2020, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Jamie, I was going to PM you but others may need this info as well. What's the suggested Rider sag for the rear?
Front = 25-35mm
Rear = 30-40mm