Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Pipercross air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Pipercross air filter?

Anyone try one of these? As you can tell, unlike the stock/K&N/BMC varieties, these come with practically the whole area covered in filter. They are also foam as opposed to gauze (BMC and K&N) or paper (OEM). I recall getting info from a fellow forum member about a tuner in Germany who used to mod stock filters to essentially duplicate this and supoposedly reported 120 hp with proper jetting and an "open exhaust".

FWIW, I have been reading the foam offers quite a few advantages as a filtering mediaum compared to gauze, for example.

So, who (if anyone) has tried a Pipercross and what you have been your results? Back to back comparisons with other filters would be ideal, of course.....
Attached Thumbnails Pipercross air filter?-mpx024_z1.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Did you find a local distributor in Canada? Briefly looked for the US and found a distributor in Idaho but they did not list the VTR - although the UK site lists a Firestorm fitment. Ebay has it for $91 +shipping
The pic you found makes it look better made than the BMC but that is probably hard to tell without holding one
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
MotoGP

Hi Steve,

cheapest place (eBay) I found (with shipping to Canada) is indeed in the UK (seems to often be the case).

The street BMC and K&N have the same size air opening (or very close, never really measured them) as the OEM piece, quite unlike this one.....
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
Belated Happy New Year lol...

Seems the Pipercross is quite cheap in UK, here is a link i found...
Pipercross Honda VTR1000 Firestorm 97-05 performance air filter £59.58 Discount Car Audio UK: DVB Car Audio UK Online Entertainment Store
Not sure if they are willing to send to the US though.

I am using a similar setup, one of the first mods i made when i bought my bike...you can do it with the OEM airbox, just cut out the existing airfilter and use a good filter material (foam worked for me).
Attached a foto comparison "normal" against "mod"...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Pipercross air filter?-toms-lufi.gif  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
MotoGP

Welcome back Peter!

What kind of results did you see from switching to to your filter? How is the body healing up and VTR build coming along btw?

cheers
Micky
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm.... something new to try. I may hack up my K&N and do this...
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
Hi Micky, thank you...i am contented and doing well, the back heals good, i am still in the court with the insurance, last december i married the girl who changed my life to good and we might move to Ireland in February, if i can make it to pass the recruitment process with Apple...thats the latest news so far...lol.

There might be a hp-diagram floating around in Germany, with different air filters and carb setups, i am going to ask the guy who makes and sells that air filter conversion together with all necessary jets and instructions.

I cannot say much about any differences, i made that swap right after i bought my VTR, together with new carb jetting and adjustment and another carb modification regarding the slides, i attach some pics.
The specsheet shows the air filter mod, with the CO screws turned out front cyl 2 turns, rear cyl 2 1/4 turns and the main jets 190 front and 192 rear.
The result i can tell is a much snappier response, much better acceleration, top speed didnt get up significantly, its just i cannot back it up with professional data and as i said that change was done right after i bought my VTR in stock condition (open, no restrictors).
The good thing is, everyone can try it with a old airfilter, just cut it out, keep only the frame and use filter foam, backing it up with a metal mesh screen, so its a quite inexpensive mod.

My project is on hold, as i dont know what will happen in the near future, so i am just enjoying every sunny day on the bike and collect piece by piece the parts i am going to use for it.

Regards from sunny Spain....
Attached Thumbnails Pipercross air filter?-carb-slide-mod.jpg   Pipercross air filter?-different-setups.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

seb421 is on a distinguished road
ive just got one mik so hoping they are good mate!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

Keep us posted on the results.

I recall Ben (a current/former) member of the vtr1000.org site had one and reported some decent gains on top-end. However, he had Roger D do the tuning (a luxury most of us don`t have, lol) and believe it took a fair amount of tuning to get right.

cheers
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 AM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

seb421 is on a distinguished road
Not got it on yet mate, hope to fit it when i put the Yoshi R&D System on

will report back, promise

im not to far from Rogers place, tho i couldn't afford his time at the moment i suspect
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seb421
Not got it on yet mate, hope to fit it when i put the Yoshi R&D System on

will report back, promise

im not to far from Rogers place, tho i couldn't afford his time at the moment i suspect
did you ever get one how did it go
Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sjscicluna
did you ever get one how did it go
After almost seven years with no posts, I'm guessing you won't get an answer.