Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Coming soon: shock reservoir!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Coming soon: shock reservoir!

I called a friend of mine who owns a suspension shop (also a former VTR owner so he knows the bike`s suspenders inside and out, having used it as a test bed for many years) and he mentioned that he has a shock reservoir laying around from a snowcross race sled that he can (and will) hook up to my RaceTech-kitted VTR shock. The reservoir has provisions for hi and low speed compression adjustment The best part is I'll only have to pay for the stainless tubing used Fully adjustable rear shock here we come......
Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
im going to find an "alternative" name brand shock that will fit. i have some leads already. can we say penske or better for 50$?

details when mine is done.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So you guys also realize how elusive getting a shock upgrade is. Please post results as I have resorted to emailing all the SH sellers who are selling one with a shock on it. No one ever wants to sell it seperately even thogh a shock will barely increase salee price. Let me know how these work out
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

My RaceTeck kitted unit is already a substantial improvement over the stocker but having the reservoir will increase fade resistance as well as providing me with high and low-speed damping adjustment possibilities (not to mention adding to the ubiquitous "bling factor", lol)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
when you do this mod, it would seem that the original valving in the shock would still be the limiting factor - is that then modified to be fairly 'open' to allow the reservoir to control things?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So you guys also realize how elusive getting a shock upgrade is. Please post results as I have resorted to emailing all the SH sellers who are selling one with a shock on it. No one ever wants to sell it seperately even thogh a shock will barely increase salee price. Let me know how these work out
its all in finding a shock with the same specs from a different application. then checking weight and spring setups to see rather it will need re valved. or cross referencing valving based on the weight of the original vehicle.

basically ima cheep bastid. i dont mind doing the legwork to save a buck.
(ive done this before on other vehicles, theres nothing like figuring out that a 200$ shock is the same as an 800$ shock when sold for a different application.)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 AM
MotoGP

the stock valving has already been changed by means of the RaceTech kit (which includes a new piston and valve stack if I remember correctly). Any additional changes that will be needed will be performed by my buddy (he is a real suspension guru and has already altered the valving from when I bought the kitted shock). Considering the sum of the changes will cost me in the area of $40, I can`t go wrong.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
please keep posted, I would really like to upgrade my shock but don't want to pay a lot of money.

By the way, mikstr what did you get with your RaceTeck kitted unit and how much did it cost.

Last edited by Byrdman; 02-03-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
MotoGP

I picked up the shock with the RT kit already installed on eBay (a few years ago now so I forget how much I paid). I have since had it re-built once at which time my buddy fine-tuned the valving for my weight.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Mikstr do you have an update on the hi lo reservoir? Also what is the possibility to use this with the JD modified F4i rear shock. The F4i only has the lo speed compression adjustment.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

Hi Patrick,

not done yet (I am quite busy and my buddy is as well, suspensions being a secondary business for him as his primary livelihood is running a dairy farm). I hope to get down to his place (90 min ride from Montreal) in the coming weeks and "get 'er done". Will report back once it's up adn running. AS for the possibility of having doen to an F4i shock, while I have not checked with my buddy, I don't see why it couldn't be done. One would only need to find a reservoir equipped to provide these two adjustments.

BTW, good write-up on your new shock. Glad to see it is working out. I would give that option a serious look if it weren't for my buddy helping me out.....