Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Mods in progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Mods in progress

Finally getting around to some much needed mods. Got a pair of Trucker's CCT's installed. Checked valve clearences while at. Installed Factory Pro jet kit. Set TPS, removed PAIR. Waiting for SAMCO silicone hose set to arrive to put everything back together.
Attached Thumbnails Mods in progress-012.jpg   Mods in progress-013.jpg   Mods in progress-014.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
So where did you get the hoses at? The Samco site doesn't list a SuperHawk, just RC51's.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Never mind, I found it......
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
What are you guys paying for the Samcos? I have seen them listed on eBay for about $200, seems pretty pricey for a few hoses... (I would be opne to getting some when I do the rebuild but not sure if I can justify that much $$$$)...

cheers
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
What are you guys paying for the Samcos? I have seen them listed on eBay for about $200, seems pretty pricey for a few hoses... (I would be opne to getting some when I do the rebuild but not sure if I can justify that much $$$$)...

cheers
Oh I'm not, just bored waiting to get my heads fixed........so
I do get my swingarm on Tues so at least I have something to do next week so I won't be such a pest.....lol
Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, the SAMCO lines, is this preventative maint, or do they add anything like better coolant flow. Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos. I ordered the Hot Cams shim kit to do the valves, hopefully the job won't be any more difficult than my CRFs. Thanks JB
Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by residentg
Just wondering, the SAMCO lines, is this preventative maint, or do they add anything like better coolant flow. Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos. I ordered the Hot Cams shim kit to do the valves, hopefully the job won't be any more difficult than my CRFs. Thanks JB
The one thing o don't like about their shim kits is they skip half the shims.
Theirs come in .05mm steps while the factory uses .025mm steps. As .05mm is just shy of .002" and spec is either .006 or .012 +\- .001 so if you were .001 tight or loose you might not be able to adjust them with that kit.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Good point. I like the shim kits so I can avoid going to the dealers. I suppose that I could make a trip if I needed an in between size. The CRFs' valve clearances tend to get tighter with use - how about the SH? Do the clearances get larger or smaller with use (miles)? What should I expect? Thank you. JB
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
valves go tight with use
Old 03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
valves go tight with use
Just the intake valves - exhaust valves will often get loose from carbon build-up on the seat.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

MIKSTR; PAID $219 FOR MY SET OF SAMCO HOSES. PRICEY? PERHAPS, BUT THEY ARE SILICONE & SAMCO SAYS THEY RUN 5 TO 10% COOLER THAN STOCK. NOT SURE ABOUT THAT CLAIM. EVEN THOUGH CURRENT HOSES APPEAR OK, FIGURED WHILE I HAD EVERYTHING APART I'D GO AHEAD & REPLACE THE HOSES. SOMETIMES HOSES CAN APPEAR OK ON OUTSIDE BUT HAVE INTERIOR FAILURE. JUST FIGURED SINCE THEY'RE ALMOST 10YRS OLD IT WOULD BE GOOD PM. ALSO THE COLOR OPTIONS ARE NEAT. JUST BE ADVISED THAT ORDERS TAKE 4 TO 6 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY, SINCE HOSES ARE HAND MADE IN ENGLAND. OH DID I MENTION THAT HOSES HAVE LIFE TIME WARRANTY? NO REAL ADVANTAGE BETWEEN TRUCKINS CCT'S & APE'S THAT I KNOW OF.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos.
APEs are still available, so that is a +1 for them.

Trucks have recessed bolts to make adjusting easier and a better oil seal on the threads, so +2, but are no longer available for purchase so -2..

The final winner is: APE the ones you can buy.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MOONSTER
MIKSTR; PAID $219 FOR MY SET OF SAMCO HOSES. PRICEY? PERHAPS, BUT THEY ARE SILICONE & SAMCO SAYS THEY RUN 5 TO 10% COOLER THAN STOCK. NOT SURE ABOUT THAT CLAIM. EVEN THOUGH CURRENT HOSES APPEAR OK, FIGURED WHILE I HAD EVERYTHING APART I'D GO AHEAD & REPLACE THE HOSES. SOMETIMES HOSES CAN APPEAR OK ON OUTSIDE BUT HAVE INTERIOR FAILURE. JUST FIGURED SINCE THEY'RE ALMOST 10YRS OLD IT WOULD BE GOOD PM. ALSO THE COLOR OPTIONS ARE NEAT. JUST BE ADVISED THAT ORDERS TAKE 4 TO 6 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY, SINCE HOSES ARE HAND MADE IN ENGLAND. OH DID I MENTION THAT HOSES HAVE LIFE TIME WARRANTY? NO REAL ADVANTAGE BETWEEN TRUCKINS CCT'S & APE'S THAT I KNOW OF.
I don't see how they could decrease the engine temp... They are not adding any cooling, and changing flow characteristics in a hose will not give you any noticable or measurable temperature drop unless you change the waterpump/cooler as well... That's sales bullshit...

The hoses are nice though and with the warranty and color options they are an option if you need to swap or for preventive maintainance... But no, they won't drop temps...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Back Marker

I tend to agree with you Tweety on the hoses not decreasing coolant temps. That's not the reason for getting them. In my line of work, which is industrial/commercial generator technician (28 yrs.), it's pretty much the industrial norm to replace manufactures hoses with silicone hoses. They tend to last twice as long & withstand higher temps & pressures better. Of course there is the bling factor. If one wanted to spend a little more, they even make hoses with flames & urban camo. Like most mods, it's a personel decision. Does anyone know what the O&M hoses cost? That would be for all 9.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Just the intake valves - exhaust valves will often get loose from carbon build-up on the seat.
Most of the time when I have adjusted cam over valve engines, they have been tight. this does not hold true for all scenarios, including things such as running conditions and valve train design. do a desmo and then we can have a discussion on hating yourself.

Last edited by autoteach; 03-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Most of the time when I have adjusted cam over valve engines, they have been tight. this does not hold true for all scenarios, including things such as running conditions and valve train design. do a desmo and then we can have a discussion on hating yourself.
I have done a few... I didn't hate myself much... I did have a few unkind thoughts on a few engineers in Bologna though...

Oh BTW... In an actual factory manual, printed... Instead of torque numbers on how tight, they have printed "not to tight, but tight enough" in italian... (Yeah it was a manual in italian...) Now that's a very helpful manual if I ever read one...