SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Mods in progress (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/mods-progress-21730/)

MOONSTER 03-05-2010 01:13 PM

Mods in progress

3 Attachment(s)
Finally getting around to some much needed mods. Got a pair of Trucker's CCT's installed. Checked valve clearences while at. Installed Factory Pro jet kit. Set TPS, removed PAIR. Waiting for SAMCO silicone hose set to arrive to put everything back together.

8541Hawk 03-05-2010 01:32 PM

So where did you get the hoses at? The Samco site doesn't list a SuperHawk, just RC51's.

8541Hawk 03-05-2010 01:34 PM

Never mind, I found it...... ;)

mikstr 03-05-2010 03:54 PM

What are you guys paying for the Samcos? I have seen them listed on eBay for about $200, seems pretty pricey for a few hoses... (I would be opne to getting some when I do the rebuild but not sure if I can justify that much $$$$)...

cheers

8541Hawk 03-05-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 256329)
What are you guys paying for the Samcos? I have seen them listed on eBay for about $200, seems pretty pricey for a few hoses... (I would be opne to getting some when I do the rebuild but not sure if I can justify that much $$$$)...

cheers

Oh I'm not, just bored waiting to get my heads fixed........so
I do get my swingarm on Tues so at least I have something to do next week so I won't be such a pest.....lol

residentg 03-05-2010 04:14 PM

Just wondering, the SAMCO lines, is this preventative maint, or do they add anything like better coolant flow. Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos. I ordered the Hot Cams shim kit to do the valves, hopefully the job won't be any more difficult than my CRFs. Thanks JB

8541Hawk 03-05-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 256335)
Just wondering, the SAMCO lines, is this preventative maint, or do they add anything like better coolant flow. Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos. I ordered the Hot Cams shim kit to do the valves, hopefully the job won't be any more difficult than my CRFs. Thanks JB

The one thing o don't like about their shim kits is they skip half the shims.
Theirs come in .05mm steps while the factory uses .025mm steps. As .05mm is just shy of .002" and spec is either .006 or .012 +\- .001 so if you were .001 tight or loose you might not be able to adjust them with that kit.

residentg 03-05-2010 04:55 PM

Good point. I like the shim kits so I can avoid going to the dealers. I suppose that I could make a trip if I needed an in between size. The CRFs' valve clearances tend to get tighter with use - how about the SH? Do the clearances get larger or smaller with use (miles)? What should I expect? Thank you. JB

autoteach 03-05-2010 05:17 PM

valves go tight with use

JamieDaugherty 03-05-2010 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 256348)
valves go tight with use

Just the intake valves - exhaust valves will often get loose from carbon build-up on the seat.

MOONSTER 03-12-2010 12:22 PM

MIKSTR; PAID $219 FOR MY SET OF SAMCO HOSES. PRICEY? PERHAPS, BUT THEY ARE SILICONE & SAMCO SAYS THEY RUN 5 TO 10% COOLER THAN STOCK. NOT SURE ABOUT THAT CLAIM. EVEN THOUGH CURRENT HOSES APPEAR OK, FIGURED WHILE I HAD EVERYTHING APART I'D GO AHEAD & REPLACE THE HOSES. SOMETIMES HOSES CAN APPEAR OK ON OUTSIDE BUT HAVE INTERIOR FAILURE. JUST FIGURED SINCE THEY'RE ALMOST 10YRS OLD IT WOULD BE GOOD PM. ALSO THE COLOR OPTIONS ARE NEAT. JUST BE ADVISED THAT ORDERS TAKE 4 TO 6 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY, SINCE HOSES ARE HAND MADE IN ENGLAND. OH DID I MENTION THAT HOSES HAVE LIFE TIME WARRANTY? NO REAL ADVANTAGE BETWEEN TRUCKINS CCT'S & APE'S THAT I KNOW OF.

lazn 03-12-2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 256335)
Also, is there an advantage to the Trucker CCTs over the APEs? CCTs are on my list of to-dos.

APEs are still available, so that is a +1 for them.

Trucks have recessed bolts to make adjusting easier and a better oil seal on the threads, so +2, but are no longer available for purchase so -2..

The final winner is: APE the ones you can buy.

Tweety 03-12-2010 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MOONSTER (Post 257384)
MIKSTR; PAID $219 FOR MY SET OF SAMCO HOSES. PRICEY? PERHAPS, BUT THEY ARE SILICONE & SAMCO SAYS THEY RUN 5 TO 10% COOLER THAN STOCK. NOT SURE ABOUT THAT CLAIM. EVEN THOUGH CURRENT HOSES APPEAR OK, FIGURED WHILE I HAD EVERYTHING APART I'D GO AHEAD & REPLACE THE HOSES. SOMETIMES HOSES CAN APPEAR OK ON OUTSIDE BUT HAVE INTERIOR FAILURE. JUST FIGURED SINCE THEY'RE ALMOST 10YRS OLD IT WOULD BE GOOD PM. ALSO THE COLOR OPTIONS ARE NEAT. JUST BE ADVISED THAT ORDERS TAKE 4 TO 6 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY, SINCE HOSES ARE HAND MADE IN ENGLAND. OH DID I MENTION THAT HOSES HAVE LIFE TIME WARRANTY? NO REAL ADVANTAGE BETWEEN TRUCKINS CCT'S & APE'S THAT I KNOW OF.

I don't see how they could decrease the engine temp... They are not adding any cooling, and changing flow characteristics in a hose will not give you any noticable or measurable temperature drop unless you change the waterpump/cooler as well... That's sales bullshit...

The hoses are nice though and with the warranty and color options they are an option if you need to swap or for preventive maintainance... But no, they won't drop temps...

MOONSTER 03-12-2010 02:34 PM

I tend to agree with you Tweety on the hoses not decreasing coolant temps. That's not the reason for getting them. In my line of work, which is industrial/commercial generator technician (28 yrs.), it's pretty much the industrial norm to replace manufactures hoses with silicone hoses. They tend to last twice as long & withstand higher temps & pressures better. Of course there is the bling factor. If one wanted to spend a little more, they even make hoses with flames & urban camo. Like most mods, it's a personel decision. Does anyone know what the O&M hoses cost? That would be for all 9.

autoteach 03-12-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 256360)
Just the intake valves - exhaust valves will often get loose from carbon build-up on the seat.

Most of the time when I have adjusted cam over valve engines, they have been tight. this does not hold true for all scenarios, including things such as running conditions and valve train design. do a desmo and then we can have a discussion on hating yourself.

Tweety 03-12-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 257406)
Most of the time when I have adjusted cam over valve engines, they have been tight. this does not hold true for all scenarios, including things such as running conditions and valve train design. do a desmo and then we can have a discussion on hating yourself.

I have done a few... I didn't hate myself much... I did have a few unkind thoughts on a few engineers in Bologna though...

Oh BTW... In an actual factory manual, printed... Instead of torque numbers on how tight, they have printed "not to tight, but tight enough" in italian... (Yeah it was a manual in italian...) Now that's a very helpful manual if I ever read one...