Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

HID bulbs/conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
HID bulbs/conversion

Looking at the various HID threads I saw DMM mentioned for slim ballasts. Went there and found this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=106&parent=61

So without raising anyones blood pressure regarding propper reflectors, patterns, etc... I am just wondering how do they pull off a hi/low beam kit with one bulb and apparently no moving parts?
Thought that couldn't be done?
Also thought that quality HID bulbs and ballasts were expensive - is this one junk?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Looking at the various HID threads I saw DMM mentioned for slim ballasts. Went there and found this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=106&parent=61

So without raising anyones blood pressure regarding propper reflectors, patterns, etc... I am just wondering how do they pull off a hi/low beam kit with one bulb and apparently no moving parts?
Thought that couldn't be done?
Also thought that quality HID bulbs and ballasts were expensive - is this one junk?
By having moving parts... Usually a small shield inside the bulb operated by a solenoid...

And while my bloodpressure is quite normal... An H4 lowbeam bulb in a stock reflector gives a "bad" pattern... This gives a abysmalic and utterly horrible pattern... And if the lowbeam probably blinds someone... This is most likely like pointing it at their eyes...

My advice if doing the drop in bulb thing... Go for a lowbeam only H4 bulb and you will still improve on the stock lighting...

The ballast is probably OK'ish... It's certainly not OEM quality... But take this ballast with the D2* bulbs and a OEM projector and you will have a decent setup...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I called them. Turns out they have an electromagnet that moves the bulb within a shroud.
I agree - an OEM projector is the right way to go, but for $70 it would be an interesting experiment
"Not for hiway use" of course
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i just put in an h4 low beam bulb into my stock housing. the light output is fantastic but scattered as is the output of the stock bulb but this is much more noticable. it out shines my high beams by who knows how far, far enough to make it worth having. retro fit getting done over the winter as i just bought a projector. but yeah, just dropping in the bulb is a huge improvement. i cant wait to see it through a projector
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
I'll look around I think I have another projector laying around I can sell, link in my signature to my hid retrofit