Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Longer Silencers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Back Marker

wannabridin is on a distinguished road
Longer Silencers??

So I have some Danmoto silencers on my bike. I've fitted them with their dB killers, but it's still a bit too loud for my liking. I was wondering if anyone had every taken a set of slip ons off, extended them with new sheet metal and added new baffling/fiberglass to the insides?

I think it would look a bit better too, especially after I get some high-mount style mid pipes made up.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Plenty of us have shortened our cans, but lengthen?

Long cans don't look good IMO.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I already made high mounts with Leovince midpipes & Danmoto conicals and they're just ridiculous. They look cool but they're just WAY too loud unless you want to be "that guy" like the drunk douche down the street from me and his open pipe VTX. And like you the baffles didn't make it much better.

That's alot of trouble to go through for a cheap exhaust especially considering lengthening them say a few inches (anything else will look silly) isn't going to make much of a difference. Sheetmetal? How's that going to look? Plus the cost of baffles, packing, etc... I'd just sell them and if you want something that sounds reasonable either get stock mufflers and modify the baffles until you get the "right" sound for your liking, or get a pair of Yoshimura slip ons. They have a double walled tapered "street" baffle and sound great, and are the quietest of the aftermarket slip ons. Some Jardines have a similar tapered "street" baffle that won't be so loud. But Danmoto's? They're straight though like many other mufflers but the can around it is tiny with hardly any packing volume to muffle the sound. Yeah they're just obnoxious...

Most other pipes are going to be quite a bit louder than the Yoshis but are still alot more tolerable than the Danmotos. Again just my 2 cents...I'd just sell them and get something else.

Last edited by captainchaos; 04-08-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Just call me VTR "Drunk Douche" 1000F.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Just call me VTR "Drunk Douche" 1000F.
Well after flooring the gas and swerving his car at me while I was standing in my driveway I get to call him that. He figured getting hammered and doing hot laps around the neighborhood in his Hyundai after getting into a fight with his wife was the best way to handle it. Won't go into more details and how lame the Boynton Beach police department can be but suffice to say I can be EXTREMELY understanding and calm, especially when he approaches me looking to start a fight before he realizes who I am (his neighbor), and that I'm holding a baseball bat in my hand. He already has a rap sheet a mile long. Revs hit $hitbox up every day and has left it idling for over an hour with the sound bouncing off the walls with 3 story townhomes on both sides of the narrow street. So no I won't call you that unless you can say you fit that description too which I'm sure you don't.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I just like the sound of VTR "Drunk Douche" 1000F. Has a nice ring to it.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like some neighborhood....

I don't think its worth doing Frankenstien work on those pipes. Its a huge job and you could probly sell them and get quieter ones.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Well after flooring the gas and swerving his car at me while I was standing in my driveway I get to call him that. He figured getting hammered and doing hot laps around the neighborhood in his Hyundai after getting into a fight with his wife was the best way to handle it. Won't go into more details and how lame the Boynton Beach police department can be but suffice to say I can be EXTREMELY understanding and calm, especially when he approaches me looking to start a fight before he realizes who I am (his neighbor), and that I'm holding a baseball bat in my hand. He already has a rap sheet a mile long. Revs hit $hitbox up every day and has left it idling for over an hour with the sound bouncing off the walls with 3 story townhomes on both sides of the narrow street. So no I won't call you that unless you can say you fit that description too which I'm sure you don't.
sounds like you should have put that bat to use......
Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I just like the sound of VTR "Drunk Douche" 1000F. Has a nice ring to it.
Hey, Wolverine, can you change Steve's custom user title for him...just for a few days?

Then, we can have a Evil Man Of Nothing and a Drunk Douche
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Back Marker

wannabridin is on a distinguished road
Well then, sounds like I need to search for some new pipes! I have a guy at work with a yoshi discount code that gets things for a decent price, so maybe I'll go that route or scrounge ebay until I find something... Thanks for the advice gents.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah don't get me wrong, I love to work on stuff, and I love the sound our bikes make. I even ran around for a short time when I was younger with open midpipes because I thought it was funny. I guess I'm getting old though and the Danmotos are just too loud. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the sound of any other brand of aftermarket pipes. I just mentioned the Yoshis because they're the "quietest" aftermarket pipes I've heard, and the aluminum street slip ons, unlike many/most other brands including almost all high mounts, are actually still available new. If you want brand new and nice quality for not an arm and a leg Delkevics are also very nice as well at a nice price. Was really impressed with the quality the first time I saw a set, unlike the recycled beer cans that are the Danmotos
Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Check out Oz E Bay for a set of Mussari cans.

Our $ is worth jack **** at the moment so these would be a good cheap alternative.

You can rotate the link pipes they come with for a higher mount and modify the baffles to get the sound you want.

I have high mount hangers from the U.K.

All up total cost about $450 Oz and have been on the bike for 3 years.

Value in my opinion!

Name:  2120F831-5311-4C74-BAB7-68B7B7AE99E3_zpsnhrf97fn.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  365.1 KB

Check them out!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wannabridin
So I have some Danmoto silencers on my bike. I've fitted them with their dB killers, but it's still a bit too loud for my liking. I was wondering if anyone had every taken a set of slip ons off, extended them with new sheet metal and added new baffling/fiberglass to the insides?

I think it would look a bit better too, especially after I get some high-mount style mid pipes made up.

To pull off extending your silencers and making it look decent you would need at least one slip on exactly like the set your trying to lengthen.

This way the diameter of the slip on would match, cut two equal lengths off of the extra slip on and Tig weld the ends of the cans together.

You would need to do the same to the perforated steel pipe inside the slip on and mig weld the sections together.

Pack in some extra angle hair fiberglass packing and see what happens!

Can it be done, yes but I would do it no.

SIRR1