Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

K&N: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
K&N: worth it?

Hello,

I just picked up a set of Micron low-mount slip-ons on eBay and am looking forward to installing them shortly. I will likely be looking at re-jetting to maximize the benefits from the new cans (seeking mostly mid-range improvement as I use the bike mostly for sporrt-touring and very seldom rev it over 7K), and was wondering if I should invest in a K&N filter as well. I am getting mixed reports about whether or not they are worth the money. Some state that they help top end at the expense of mid-range,.... Can anyone enlighten me as to their own personal experience. Cheers
Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
No. The stock filter is not a problem on an unmodified engine. No solution required.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: K&N: worth it?

I have Micron low mounts on mine and it has the stock air filter. Bike has a beautiful linear power curve.

Still I am installing a K&N and Dynojet kit as I wanna squeeze out MORE!

My fingers are cross that I don't mess things up so I'm writing down all my current settings.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the replies. To Norrth, would you mind sharing your current settings? thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 AM
SuperSport

When I rip my bike apart in early May I'll let you know.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Dynojet kit (owned by K&N) creates a flat spot from 3k to 5k rpms in combination with a free-flowing exhaust and K&N filter as per the site says.

I noticed this same thing with my Ninja 500 when I did the mod. Unfortunately, that's my shift-point, so it uber-sucked.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

Odd as if you check this link (http://users.adelphia.net/~lcjhnsn/l...uning_page.htm) this VTR owner switched to a DJ from a Factory kit to resolve the very situation you are referring to (or very similar anyhow). Have a look.

cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Back Marker

Utah996

I'm running a K&N on my 2002 VTR, mind you the exhaust is stock, but I put it on for the gas mileage savings....went from 31mpg to around 41mpg...in fact my last tank was 150miles on 3.5 gallons.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

are you serious?.. it add 10mpg?!?! is this consistant with everybody else thats done this mod?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
SuperSport

Not me. I'm still working on a subtle flat spot. Mileage seems about the same.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

damn! 41mpg.... that would be niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :wink:
Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, what kind of magic gas are you using Utah? I have Factory kit with k&n and two brothers low mount cf, soon to be high mount. I have no flat spots and normal milegage about 100 miles normal 80 or so when beating on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Currently, I am getting 39-41 MPG while cruising gently, but the flat spot is omnipresent. K&N, drilled slides, shimmed stock needles, short slide springs, mains DJ #185/190, Short stacks front & rear. The front wheel will loft easily 3-4.5 K, and power comes back on above 6K.
I will prolly go back to the DJ needles, starting on groove # 4 this time (bike came to me already set up WITHOUT the original washers under the needles, groove 5) I am also thinking, if all my efforts do not resolve the midrange dip, that I may try filling in the "lift" holes created with jet kit install and redrill quite a bit smaller. I have already tried using stock slides (no holes) with all other DJ mods and found the midrange power to be exceptionally LOW. The fun part of that setup was the 6K to redline I-4 type power rush!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Back Marker

Utah996

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
I agree, what kind of magic gas are you using Utah? I have Factory kit with k&n and two brothers low mount cf, soon to be high mount. I have no flat spots and normal milegage about 100 miles normal 80 or so when beating on it.
No magic gas that I'm aware of, infact its 91 octane here in UT. When I'm on the bike hard I still get 120mile of 3.4-3.5 gallons. Thats still high 30'smpg. But my average stays at right about 39-40mpg. Might you the only mod I have done to the bike is the K&N. Stock jetting, stock exhaust.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
That result is impossible.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

Utah996
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Ooooo: time to pull out the digi-cam and take some pics the next time I fill up...hehe! Its not impossible, this is why I drive my bike more than my WRX...better gas mileage. Double what I get in my car.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's AMAZING, it must be that thin air! I wish I could get anywhere near that. I went to 115 miles once and ran out of gas!!!! My only mods at the time were k&n and exaust. Since I have added 520 chain conversion with 15f & 43r but haven't had a chance to see what it has done to mileage.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by Utah996";p=&quot
Ooooo: time to pull out the digi-cam and take some pics the next time I fill up...hehe! Its not impossible, this is why I drive my bike more than my WRX...better gas mileage. Double what I get in my car.
First, I don't disbelieve you. Second, I don't doubt that you get 40 mpg, that's good but not unheard of, and to be expected at altitude. Remember, your bike is making less power due to the thinner air so it is using less fuel.

I doubt that you went from 30-40 when you put it in, unless your bike was really running like crap and not correctly jetted for your altitude. Even then I have trouble believing that swapping in a freer filter would fix it by itself. Is there more to this happy ending?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Back Marker

Utah996

I doubt that you went from 30-40 when you put it in, unless your bike was really running like crap and not correctly jetted for your altitude. Even then I have trouble believing that swapping in a freer filter would fix it by itself. Is there more to this happy ending?
Haha...your cracking me up! It was a happy ending indeed! Its all about the elevation thats for sure. Either way I like the K&N for the gas mileage at "this elevation", leaned the bike out enough to gain an extra gas mileage.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it because of the leaner mixture at Utah's higher altitude? (uses less gas in thinner air for proper mixture?)

Originally Posted by Utah996";p=&quot
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
No magic gas that I'm aware of, infact its 91 octane here in UT. When I'm on the bike hard I still get 120mile of 3.4-3.5 gallons. Thats still high 30'smpg. But my average stays at right about 39-40mpg. Might you the only mod I have done to the bike is the K&N. Stock jetting, stock exhaust.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I just averaged 38mpg on a 452 mile trip. (on my stock VTR with 1000 miles on the odometer)

Is that about what you guys get?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Squid

VTR69

With a K&N and stock exhaust on my '01 I can get 42 mpg +/- on a touring trip. Two lane twisty stuff usually gets about 33 mpg. But check this out. Riding from Truckee to Auburn , Ca, following the wife in her car on I-80 for a 63 mile distance at 55 mph, mostly downhill, I used 1 (one) gallon of gas !
And then, going across the central flat as hell valley towards the coast I got 48 mpg, still doing 55 mind you. Great mileage is possible (but boring) with a Superhawk.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Superstock

woodman

I've checked mine since I put the Jardine high mounts on and got 39.8. That was a mix of cruising on open roads (long sweepers) and blasting on the twisties.
To me this is'nt bad gas mileage. My 1200 bandit with a slip/on and a Dale Walker jet kit got 36 mpg.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
The point is that adding more air as a high flow filter does (with proper jetting) will not lead to higher mileage. More air requires more fuel leading to less mileage and more power. In a high altitude setting, a proper mixture requires less fuel due to the reduced presence of Oxygen in the thinner air. There is also a commensurate loss of power potential. This less powerful engine may return improved mileage as less fuel is being burned as less power is being produced.

There are stock high altitude jets for the VTR.

The idea that improved breathing can lead to improved mileage is faulty, I think, particularly when we're talking about a major improvement. It will have a small impact on an overly rich condition so it may result in a minor false efficiency.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
MotoGP

has anybody tried a bmc filter?