General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

'03 SH with Salvage title, worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Squid

V4VTEC is on a distinguished road
'03 SH with Salvage title, worth buying?

I am looking at this 2003 SuperHawk with a salvage title? has a small crack on the right fairing, a black left replaced fairing. The uppers are scuffed. The bike runs and the whole front end was replaced with f4i's front everything. He wanted $2900 but i talked him down to 2700. Is this worth the price? opinions are definately welcomed. thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I guess it depends...Salvaged? hmmm why? and is it going to be run on the street? is it for the track? I personally don't know if I would put the bucks into it...but I am sure there will be other opionions on the board....Good luck
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
How many miles?

Other obvious signs of damage/repairs?

Runs or runs good? Ride it if you can!

Looks like the bike was owned by a stunna or just had a bad day at the office? Look for extra holes where bars/sliders were once installed.

F4i is a good front end on a SH - still needs to be reworked but good starting point. When you say uppers are scuffed - the fairing? the upper fork tubes?

If the guy asks $29 - $23-25 should buy it. If it doesn't back away. It's early in the season - more deals yet to come.

Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Offer him $2000 straight up and if he declines, look for another bike.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Squid

The left side of the tank is dented a bit. It has 4k miles on it. The upper fairings are scuffed and needs a windshield. It would be pretty much the only SH in my area (western NY). All I have to work with is $3k that i got a loan from the bank, so i'll have to put some money into it. I believe that it got hit in the front that's why forks, brakes etc... was replaced with the f4i's parts from a '02-'03 model. Lets see if i can find some pictures of it. I know this seller through local forums and everyone is telling me he is a good guy for bikes that he sells and fixes...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
2K is a little low, being an '03, even wrecked. If it's sound mechanically I'd not pay more than $2500. If he'll take that, I'd go for it. If you're patient you can find all the fairings in mostly good condition. Perfect fairings can get expensive, but if you're willing to sand, paint and maybe do a little 'glass work you can get a great deal on rashed fairings.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I smell a street fighter project coming on!!! I agree with MisterMo, if she is sound than offer up $2500 and pull those plasics, do something about that yellow front fender, and convert her into a street fighter...cost much less I a sure....and will look good to boot...imho
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
The desire to buy a new toy is strong in the male species. This the one time you should not be thinking with your head,,,either of them. Think with your wallet.
Salvage title= worth less
Needs all new fairing parts (I dislike street fighter style, so this is just an opinion) used farings with all the tabs and locks undamaged plus no cracks are not that easy to find, rash and scratches are easy to fix, cracks and damaged tabs or locks are not. Price new.. use that as your for your planning factor.
If the tank holds fuel, I suppose it’s good enough.. Though on my street bikes, as they are just toys, I need them to look as good as they run. I’d have to replace that tank with new or non dented used (then paint to match if needed)
Needs a wind screen, again not a big deal, but more $$$. Buy someone’s good used take off, new, or aftermarket.
It is a project bike unfinished, with swapped out front suspension (the pics show a SH suspension?)
In general, projects are worth less then stock or lightly modified vehicles, Unless the project went exactly as you would have taken it.
A Project bike takes skill and fabrication to build, taking over someone’s project is a leap of faith, as well as a learning curve on what was really used to build the bike. (if you buy it, insist on a full discloser of exactly want parts were swapped in, year, model of each donor part. Even if it is a SH part but a differ year. For instance, saying the front end is F4i, is great until you need to say rebuild the forks, and you find out the different years of F4i used different seals, or valve shims, or, ????

Bottom line. I would not pay more then about $2000 as for me to be happy with it, it would need a lot of work. That’s a personal decision, yours and others may very. To me, it is a parts bike, that could be made whole again.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

The pictures clarify the issues quite a bit. I agree with TXSC that this thing is hardly worth the rebuild. Tell the owner to part it out.

If you're new to the Superhawk this is NOT your bike. Better deals are to be had so I would keep my interest peaked but firmly parked on my wallet until a better deal comes along.

Is this really the way you want your new bike to look? Do you want to work on it or ride it?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Squid

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I've decided to not buy this bike. It would end up costing me too much in parts and time( which i don't have since it's riding season) to get this bike on the road, especially getting/passing the dmv salvage inspection. I've been looking at different prospects that are, sadly to say, not SH. They are pretty rare here, so i'll keep looking on this forum hoping for a great deal. Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 PM
MotoGP

Of course, we have no earthly idea of where "here" is because none of you squids can find the place where you fill in the blank where "here" is.

Other members might be in cities near you where one might come up at a dealership or through a friend. The more people and methods you employ the better you'll know what the market is and where it is.

Watch the Craigslist and national ads around you. Make sure that you search for both Superhawk and Super Hawk because dealers/sellers don't know how it's spelled.

In Austin this spring about a dozen popped up. Some okay deals - some laughable. Then they went away. Just recently a bunch more have come up again. Some are repeats and some are new blood. Be patient - the right deal will come along.

Shipping a bike is harder on the seller than it is on the buyer but can be done. I would think to buy and ship "the dream bike" would start with a full price offer and other incentives, cash or otherwise, to enlist the seller's help. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
that bike is worth about 1500 or less out here in california, you can buy a clean stock bike never wrecked for 2800 if you wait for a few weeks

my bike with clean title, f4i front suspensions, and little goodies here and there is worth about 3k because it (I) went down at 5mph, put some marks on the left fairing and tail section, everything else is 100%

pass on that bike unless he comes down to around 1500