Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

K&N installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
K&N installed

Read all the threads warning dire consequences for K&Ns so just had to see for myself
Put it in today and went for the first ride of the year. I have to say that the bike ran just fine. No stumbles or flat spots, just smooth power. To be fair I cannot say there was an improvement over the stock filter, but I did not run back to back.
I may play around with shimming the needles or installing the jet kit - I've already lined up some expert help (thanks for the offer, Greg), But I just wanted to report the initial experience is positive
Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
K&N's aren't magic, white or black. Just reusable, over and over and over. Wash, rinse, re-oil, reinstall, repeat once a year. Been doing it to my vehicles since 1969 just for the convenience of not having to but replacement stock units at gouge pricing. No milage boost, no power bump, nada. I don't even put the sticker on the bike.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Read all the threads warning dire consequences for K&Ns so just had to see for myself
Put it in today and went for the first ride of the year. I have to say that the bike ran just fine. No stumbles or flat spots, just smooth power. To be fair I cannot say there was an improvement over the stock filter, but I did not run back to back.
I may play around with shimming the needles or installing the jet kit - I've already lined up some expert help (thanks for the offer, Greg), But I just wanted to report the initial experience is positive
This is great to see ! I just ordered a K&N . I didnt buy it for a power increase & especially not a decrease ! I just like the the fact that you can clean it and re-use it and get a lotta miles out of K&N . I got a jet kit on the way also ( just in case)
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
K&N's aren't magic, white or black. Just reusable, over and over and over. Wash, rinse, re-oil, reinstall, repeat once a year. Been doing it to my vehicles since 1969 just for the convenience of not having to but replacement stock units at gouge pricing. No milage boost, no power bump, nada. I don't even put the sticker on the bike.
Well there's your problem, son! You didn't put the sticker on! THAT'S what gives you the better gas mileage, more power, etc.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
I've got a DNA in mine. Same as K&N, but 1/2 the price...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So what is the consensus on K&N? I have one & have for years.but really did not notice a big difference either way, just a little popier on downshifts or closed throttle. Do I need a jet kit & dont know it?