Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Dynojet and K&N installed, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Squid

mkimber is on a distinguished road
Dynojet and K&N installed, WOW!

I finally got around to installing my Dynojet and K&N this weekend and it's awesome! I had never worked on this bike before and the install only took a little over an hour. I put in 190-195 jets and the needle in the 5th notch per the instructions. I put the mixture screws 2.5 turns out. Right away, it fired right up with no choke, a first, and idled perfect. I take it out after a few minutes to see what she's got and I can't believe the new power! It will come up in 2nd and pulls through all the gears much harder. I would say at least 10hp more than before, it's a huge difference.

One issue I do have is it free revs kinda rough in neutral. When sitting at a light, I can blip the throttle a couple times and it gets rougher the more I rev it. It did this same thing before the install because it was running lean. Could it be too rich now and cause the same problem? I don't know what could cause this because there are no driving issues when the engine is under a load. I can live with it, that's for sure. No more lean popping when decelerating, man that was annoying. I'll take it to get dynoed at some point when I tune it a little better. If you guys have any tips on the tuning, I'm all ears.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mixture screws need to go to 2 turns out. 2.5 is too rich and idling the plugs will carbon up and will cause the rough idling you speak of. At higher rpm they clean themselves off. Spark plugs are self-cleaning.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

ok, I will make the change. thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Mixture screws need to go to 2 turns out. 2.5 is too rich and idling the plugs will carbon up and will cause the rough idling you speak of. At higher rpm they clean themselves off. Spark plugs are self-cleaning.
So keep it in the Red and the plugs will stay clean!!! LOL
Old 05-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Squid

I set the screws at 2 turns out the other day and finally got to ride this morning. It seemed to make it idle smoother and rev smoother when in neutral. I think it's finally dialed in for good now. I ended up taking everything off 3 times to get it right. So, I ended up with 190f-195r, needle on 5th notch, mixture screws set at 2 turns out. I've got Jardine high mounts and a K&N. The bike runs muuuch stronger than before. Time to go to the dyno.