Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Jardine installation - Damn, not today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Jardine installation - Damn, not today!

I was going to install the Jardines today that I bought from supertwinSH. They've been sitting in the dining room gathering dust for a week now.

I pull my old header down from the garage rafters. Man, 41000 miles really has been rough on them. I start to inspect and see what kind of job lies ahead of me when I spot a friggin' CRACK in one of the welds on the rear header that extends down the pipe to the collector. Holy crap! Guess I won't be doing any exhaust installation today.....

If anyone is interested in my single sided Moriwaki exhaust I'm willing to trade my setup for a stock exhaust header + $100. I can provide high resolution pics if you want more than what I've uploaded on the forum. Hell, just PM me with your email and I'll send them to you. I'm basically only asking for what I have into the system - $50 for the can, $50 for the headers, and $50 for the welding. I'll post this in the Classified section too.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Why do you have to tempt me with this ****........
Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Full description and pics in the Classifieds now.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Squid

twstd99 is on a distinguished road
pic of exhaust please
Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Full description and pics in the Classifieds now.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
No no NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't NOBODY buy his exhaust!!!!!

Force him to sell his Jardines!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, why the switch, Greg?!?!?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Slim,
You interested in Jardines?
Andy
Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Why all the drama about the exhaust, Greg? Are you going to have the header coated so it matches all the way back? SHsuperhawk and I bought those cans about within two - three weeks of each other last winter. It was a great buy and they sound good. Just FYI - I was so pissed! If you're going to coat the stock header the mid's from Jardine are only mill-finish stainless. They have to be coated too.
Attached Thumbnails Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-header.jpg   Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-stainless-mid.jpg   Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-pic00006.jpg   Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-pic00007.jpg  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Drama? I hate drama! Nah, this is a change to a) a color scheme which more closely matches my liking, b) true high mounts, though the single can is pretty high, and c) I did lose a few hp in the midrange but I think the weight loss made up for it, proven by my side-by-side runs with Hammer this summer. Definitely no loss on top end. Hell, it may actually be a slight gain over duals.

WRT the coating, I'm going to have the stock header only coated to match the chrome as closely as possible. I'm tired of looking at that crap 400 series "stainless" that turns purple, then brown, then just plain nasty over time. I want something I can just wash off with a wash mitt and be done with it. Jet-Hot, AMR, or HPCoatings can do this for about $120. Where did you have yours done? How close is the appearance to chrome?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hmmm, on second though maybe I should do black?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

The folks at Jet-Hot are easy to deal with and they have a good warranty. They're going to see my header again this year mid-winter because the constriction is nearly all brown. They will recoat any header, pipe whatever once under warranty. Then you get to start designing exhausts. Overall I've been real happy with the Jardine High Mounts ($414 free shipping) coating makes the bike truly a step up. Look around. Every Superhawk out there has this Model T looking pipe that comes out the bottom. People (yy) look mine over real good - then they ask, "What's that?" I tell them - no - it's not a single boob - it's the oil filter.

You can find it in the forums, "you went past and I thought it was just another harley, then I realized that the harley that just went by was at a hundred miles per hour."
Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
suweet

Last edited by Texassuperhawk; 11-05-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Headers are on their way to JetHot straight from the ebay seller. Kudos to 102dals who bought my single-sided exhaust and turned me on to that ebay sale - $20 + shipping for the header!!! I have to get the midpipes in the mail. The fuggin chrome stripping for the bastids is another $50. That sucks! Going with semi-gloss black though. Can't wait to get them back and on the bike. Should look suweeeeet!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't wait to see how it all looks.....Man....I miss my hawk! I will be checkin in more often now to see the progress...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to help, Greg.
Now I just have to get the rear pegs mounted with the SWEEEEET Moriwaki cannister.
My Jardine cann will go on perfectly, but the Mori is WAAAYYY prettier.

SuperTwin...I sold my old VFR to buy my wife's 1st minivan a while back, and 3 years later I bought my SuperHawk. It'll pay off in the end, just keep pics of the Buell around, and she'll come around. BTW, does she ride? Getting her riding is the fastest way to a new bike...she wants it then (my wife helped expedite the purchase of Hawkrider's single sided pipe), but you have to keep the 'passy' pegs.
Just some cheap advice (free).
Old 11-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 102dals
Glad to help, Greg.
Now I just have to get the rear pegs mounted with the SWEEEEET Moriwaki cannister.
My Jardine cann will go on perfectly, but the Mori is WAAAYYY prettier.

SuperTwin...I sold my old VFR to buy my wife's 1st minivan a while back, and 3 years later I bought my SuperHawk. It'll pay off in the end, just keep pics of the Buell around, and she'll come around. BTW, does she ride? Getting her riding is the fastest way to a new bike...she wants it then (my wife helped expedite the purchase of Hawkrider's single sided pipe), but you have to keep the 'passy' pegs.
Just some cheap advice (free).
Thanks 102dals,

Wife can ride...she just chooses not too....Now that I have 3 daughters...I am working on the little bikes first....and then...put some $$$$ aside for a new ride for myself. I got to admit...I have the greatest wife around...she knows that bikes are my hobby....so she is cool with that. I think my next big plan is to go to Star motorcycle school in the spring..and then start putting my money aside for the buell...unless Honda comes out with a new twin..
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Got the pipes back from Jet Hot. I'll post pics shortly.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

All done! They sound great! Much deeper sound than the single Mori can I had. Can't ride it since it's currently a balmy 22°F right now.
Attached Thumbnails Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-jardine1-sm.jpg   Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-jardine2-sm.jpg   Jardine installation - Damn, not today!-jethot1-sm.jpg  
Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Dang, that sure is puuuuuurty
Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
You already have Christmas candy out on the table. Little early...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

Looking good, Hr! After you coat the main header you will never look at a Superhawk the same. The bike looks great in all B&W. I know what you mean about balmy - it's 39F and raining here!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Looks great! Those were the first cans I put on my first superhawk and I still remember starting it up for the first time. Awesome!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by drew_c14
You already have Christmas candy out on the table. Little early...
Talk to the wife. She does the house decor. I take care of the cars and bikes.

Thanks for the comments guys. Can't wait to do the swingarm and the Comp Acc fender eliminator in black too!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

Greg...those babies look sweet on there....I sure miss that sound. I have been missing the bike since every day....but I have been lookin around...

Looks great on yours!
Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Ooh la la! I love the white paint! I just bolted up my own set of the same pipes and I thought they looked good on my red ride, but DANG. I may need to break out the titanium white since I am kinda green with envy now, lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Nope, you're not allowed to paint your bike white. Only I am allowed to have a white VTR. I will have to ban you if you paint it and post pics.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
BRG

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Nope, you're not allowed to paint your bike white. Only I am allowed to have a white VTR. I will have to ban you if you paint it and post pics.

I was thinking of going to British Racing Green (never seen a VTR in BRG), can anyone do a Photoshop of how it would look with a black exhaust system?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this is "BRG" but he is one with no photoshop needed... Not to jack this thread, but since he asked:

https://voxan.mersenne.com/~dhm/painted-vtr.html

I am on the fence about green... I prefer the white.