Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

I searched, but no help

Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Superstock

Jeepingoose is on a distinguished road
I searched, but need help with forks

Basically I am wondering, how big of a PITA is it to redo (rebuild) the front forks of my 99SH?

I think they are a little tweaked too, need to be straightened and rebuilt.

Whats everyones suggestion?

I am ok with tools, and light work on bikes. If its a Jeep Im good, but when it comes to bikes... i can ride em, still tryin to work on em!

Last edited by Jeepingoose; 03-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Superstock

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx
I found this, but the guy who had my bike a while ago already did the rear setup.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
tweaked, need to be straightened too"

that sounds beyond what most garage mechanics could repair at least. there should be plenty of ebay parts for whatever is 'tweaked' particularly with the stock forks. How bent? are you sure the frame and steering head is OK? Rebuilding forks is not a particularly hard thing to do, provided you have the manual (online version here), but repairing bent forks is another matter. provide some specific question and I'm sure you'll get more info - also title your question to say something about forks
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, a "tweaked" or bent fork repair is best left to the pro's. Don't know how many or if there are any in Honolulu since shipping back to the states (umm, mainland ) would be $$$.

Rebuild is fairly simple with a manual, the proper tools and a clean workspace. One tip is to break the drain bolts (hard thread lock) while still in the triples on the bike.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
As cliby said, if the fork(s) are bent there may also be other issues. I replaced a fork on mine only to find that the lower triple tree was also bent. You pretty much will know that when you are installing the forks, because they will bind as you slide them up thru the triples if there's a problem.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
If you can work on a Jeep, you can do it. I just did my forks yesterday. New bushings, seals, springs(race tech) and oil. Plan on 1 hour per fork leg one you have them off the bike. I'll be working on my Jeep later today.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Superstock

Ok sounds good so far. All I know is that a mech at the shop I go to here on island said soemthing about them being a little off when I got my front bearings replaced right after I bought it.

I think I need new bearings again, so im pretty sure they are "tweaked"
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
There are shops that will straighten the tubes, but only steel ones. With our forks, generally they are the only ones that bend anyway.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
easy way to check and see if the triple clamps are off. turn to full lock both ways and check your handlebar clearances. If they are the same and you have tracking issues, bent forks. If they are different, fix and re-evaluate. As for rebuilding forks, its easy. The worst part is pounding the seals in if you do not have the tool.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
...The worst part is pounding the seals in if you do not have the tool.
PVC tubing (cut in half lengthwise) and a hose clamp, baby! Won't scratch the tubes like the metal seal drivers. You use the weight of the male slider to pound 'em in.