Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Searched but cant find A's - low rpm stumble when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Searched but cant find A's - low rpm stumble when hot

First of all i'd like to say thanks guys for all the great advice thats been given on the SH.

Its my first bike and i've been riding for the last 2 days....

What a beast of a bike...i love how i can pull from 3000 rpm withouth any problems!

BUT....today my friend and i went for a long cruise and ended up downtown Toronto. Stop and go, really hot, fan turned on. The bike started acting really weird. Leaving the light slowly it would stumble and jerk up until 3000 rpm...to the point where i had to slip the clutch for a lot longer so i dont experience it. It felt like total misfiring...but as soon as it hit 3000 rpm it would smooth out. After clearing the traffic and hitthing highway speeds and letting the bike cool off (the coolant temp needle never went past the halfway point btw) it went back to normal. i still think it does stumble at low rpm but its hard to compare as nobody else has a VTR that i know.

I havent done anything regarding this issue yet. I've been doing research and have come across a whole bunch of possible problems (spark plugs, carb sync, rejetting the carbs etc etc)

I was wondering if someone can point me in a general direction? i have no idea whats been done to the bike, i have no previous history. I believe they are stock pipes. tommorow i'm taking off the tank and airbox and peeking at the carb settings.

I'm an aircraft mech but have never dealt with carbs...so its an unknown area for me.

Plan is for me to run some seafoam through the gastank, change spark plugs, adjust TPS and hope that does it. After that i'm gonna have to see about rejetting the carbs...

anything else i should try??

Last edited by Red_Liner740; 07-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I dont know how to help you, but I thought I would let you know that my bike doesn't like getting hot in traffic either. Stock filter, stock jets, D&D pipes. Runs great almost all of the time!

I have noticed the SH has some quirks that you just get used to. It doesn't like to get hot and sit in traffic. It doesn't want you to let off the gas, so it will just die once in awhile to let you know. If she doesn't flat out die on you, she will occasionally "carb fart" in protest.

All things I have come to love and cherish from my pretty yellow Superhawk. Even after all those things happen, I twist the throttle and off she goes like a rocket.

I recommend getting on the bike, puting it in gear, and twisting the throttle to solve your problem. Unless you REALLY think you have a problem. In that case, ignore me.

Welcome to the forum, and to the SH!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I couldn't say for sure 'cause my VTR has the digital temp gauge, but it seems odd to me that the bike would get hot enough for the fan to kick in (220F, or what maybe 104C?) and the analog temp gauge reads smack in the middle.

I'd check that out first, make sure the needle actually moves with the temp, and I didn't have an overheated bike with a busted temp gauge and make sure I had sufficient coolant.

Probably also need to determine for sure is the exhaust stock?, stock air filter (and is it clean?) and how the carbs are jetted and tuned before getting useful advice on those items.