Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Inexpensive workstand

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Inexpensive workstand

I was reading a thread about how to do steering bearings and how to support your bike to do so, or any other type of work for that matter.

So I thought I'd share how to make what I used for years before I had a lift and it can be built quite cheap with supplies from your local home improvement store.

Qty Description
1 4'x8' piece of 3/4" plywood,
1 4 ft length of 4"x4"
3 1/2" diameter, 5" long lagbolts, washers and nuts.
2 1/2 eyebolts with 5" long shanks,washers and nuts.

Attach the 4x4 to the end of the 4x8 plywood with the 3 lagbolts in the middle and on either end. (Head of the lagbolt on the plywood side, nuts and washers on top of the 4x4, you can be real **** and countersink the nuts and washers for a clean look)

Drill holes for the eyebolts and and attach near the end of the 4x4 ( these will be your tie down points ) and counter sink the nuts and washers so that the sheet of plywood still lays flat.
Back the bike into the 4x4 and strap it down with tiedowns.
Place a jack under the sump, with a piece of wood in between, and work on your front end.
If you need to work on the rear end..... never mind, you'll figure it out.
You can either park the bike on that stand all the time or when not in use, stand it up against the garage wall, out of the way.
Varnish/paint as desired.
I've included a simple drawing that hopefully illustrates what I'm describing.
Kai Ju
Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
Nice!

Thats a good idea. Whe I used to put a jack underneath my 600rr it would balance out perfect to get at the front tire/rim... no such luck with the Hawk, she likes to tip to the right. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Just for basic servicing, I found that a normal "milk crate", the new plastic ones, are almost perfect stands. A scrap of 3/4" ply slapped on top of each crate and they work perfectly. With bike on side stand, put one under axle area of right side of swingarm. Stand on left side and get the other crate and ply strip ready, up against swingarm, and lift frame by seat support up and slide crate under swingarm and voila! Stable, easy, free, quick, and your rear wheel can spin.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kai ju
So I thought I'd share how to make what I used for years before I had a lift and it can be built quite cheap with supplies from your local home improvement store.

Kai Ju
Another cool aspect of having a bike with a centerstand is you can use this same method without a jack. You can also skip the 4x4 and just use a couple of eyebolts with large washers and the plywood sheet.

Sidenote: I've also been using a heavy duty shopping cart for a rear wheel stand for nearly 10 years now. Got the idea from a Brit website. I've got a pic of it somewhere. Costs: free (found junked behind home improvement store).
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Squid

Boofer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kai ju
I was reading a thread about how to do steering bearings and how to support your bike to do so, or any other type of work for that matter.

Qty Description
1 4'x8' piece of 3/4" plywood,
1 4 ft length of 4"x4"
3 1/2" diameter, 5" long lagbolts, washers and nuts.
2 1/2 eyebolts with 5" long shanks,washers and nuts.

Attach the 4x4 to the end of the 4x8 plywood with the 3 lagbolts in the middle and on either end. (Head of the lagbolt on the plywood side, nuts and washers on top of the 4x4, you can be real **** and countersink the nuts and washers for a clean look)

Drill holes for the eyebolts and and attach near the end of the 4x4 ( these will be your tie down points ) and counter sink the nuts and washers so that the sheet of plywood still lays flat.
Back the bike into the 4x4 and strap it down with tiedowns.
Place a jack under the sump, with a piece of wood in between, and work on your front end.
If you need to work on the rear end..... never mind, you'll figure it out.
You can either park the bike on that stand all the time or when not in use, stand it up against the garage wall, out of the way.
Varnish/paint as desired.
Kai Ju
Another thing you can do to lift the front off the ground is, if you have a rear race stand put the bike on it and use tie downs to hold the swing arm onto it then just put a jack under the engine/sump and jack it up and up comes the front.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Squid

renaisstar is on a distinguished road
Question Where's the drawing?

Hi, Kai~
I'm interested making my own stand....
Where is the illustration mentioned?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
A pic is worth a thousand words...........

Here is the pic:
Attached Thumbnails Inexpensive workstand-work-stand.jpg