Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Shifter broke, looking for an easy and inexpensive way to fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Shifter broke, looking for an easy and inexpensive way to fix.

Hi,
On the freeway home tonight my shifter broke in 2 while i was downshifting. It really sucked. I had to manually get it into what i believe was 3rd and then ride the rest home in 3rd.

Anyways, here is a picture of the broken shifter. I am hoping there is a somewhat simple fix that is possible locally instead of spending 90 on a new one on bikebandit.com

Also, if someone has a suggestion on where i can get a new one for less then 85 bucks, i would love to hear it. I have been watching ebay for 5+ years since i broke the pedal part of it. I did a screw fix and it worked great, so i havent been worried about fixing it with a new one.

It looks like the part is press fitted on. Anyone know where i can get the parts to build a new one?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Several simple fix's.. First get a shifter from Jamie at DMr.

Second, grind off the riveted spherical ball rod end, and replace with a bolt on one... Many have done this prior to the availability of an after market shifter or rear sets..
Which brings us to the pricey fix.... Rear sets.

It would appear your shifter has seen some abuse, crash, hard long use....

Pick up a used one, and then add a new rod end.... or buy one of Jamie's.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
vfr shifter
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
What years of VFR Shifters work? I just did an ebay search and i didnt see any that were similar.

What store sells a ball that has a bolt, so i can replace that. That sounds like a great idea. If you can give me any other ideas about how to do that mod, i would really appreciate it. I will replace this someday, but i just really want to ride. I dont want the bike down for 4 or 5 days.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
dont know the exact years but a lot of them work, they are not similar at all. they reverse the shift pattern, but they are cheap and you get rid of all the linkage.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...69/Group/PEDAL

Neither the pedal or rod are shared with any other Hondas - price of new pedal should cost closer to approx $54 than $85.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by Wicky

Neither the pedal or rod are shared with any other Hondas - price of new pedal should cost closer to approx $54 than $85.
54, i would love to see that. As i said, i have been watching these on ebay and the lowest i have seen in 5 years was about 60 for a used one. The ones that are as banged up as mine with a screw in them still fetch about 45. If you can send me a link of one for 54 i would love to grab it!
The link you sent was for 74, so that is a little better and i might jump on it but i would really like to save more green.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky

Neither the pedal or rod are shared with any other Honda's - price of new pedal should cost closer to approx $54 than $85.
Yup.. $54 gets you a OEM, loose fitting sloppy shifting one size fits all, crappy looking shift lever.
OR
$85 gets you a adjustable custom billet machined lever that has tighter tolerances then the OEM one.

An aftermarket part made by one of our own, that you might find a few other people like as well.
Something New - Billet Machined Shift Lever

As for a new rod end, most any bearing shop can set you up.

6mm male threaded rod end,, get one right hand thread and one left hand thread.
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/HR/POS6
that gets you a set of 4 @ $20.. Keep one set as spares or resale um.
When I did this to my OEM shifter I used a few button head fasteners to replicate the low clearance design of the OEM rivet type.

Replace the OEM pivot (riveted rod end) on both ends of the shifter (thats why you need 1 LH and 1 RH threaded end)

or..... hmmm.. PM coming
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
To add to what jay956 wrote:
94 VFR750 shift lever
JimTT suggested putting on a shift lever from a 94 VFR750 to reverse the shift pattern on a VTR. Thought I’d give it a try.

The short answer is that it fits and it works.

The tip of the gear change lever is tucked in about an inch from the stock position. Clearance between the gear change lever and the foot peg bracket is minimal. I was able to adjust the position of the lever so it doesn’t foul anything but others may not find the position to be acceptable. I think more pressure on the lever is needed to change gears but I didn’t do a back to back comparison. I’ve also got rather small feet, size 8 1/2. (shows what foot binding can do) People with bigger feet might have problems. The VFR lever is also ugly. Unlike the lovely cast piece on the stock VTR, the VFR lever is painted steel and it’s connected to the part that fits on the shifter shaft with a particularly hideous weld.
There wasn’t anything wrong with the stock shift arrangement on my VTR. There wasn’t a lot of play in it and, if I missed a shift, it was the rider’s fault rather than the machine’s. I find now that up shifts, especially first to second, are more positive because I’m pushing down on the shift lever. I haven’t missed a shift since I made the change but sometimes I do a flawless gear change to a gear I don’t want. The retraining process isn’t over. It’s amazing how much more attention I have to pay to push the lever in the right direction than I had to pay with the stock arrangement.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Squid

orangezuk is on a distinguished road
I just looked in my parts box... I have one(4 a SH). Scraped on the end of the toe peg but all functioning. let me know
Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
How far are you looking to go. Im pretty sure Jb weld and duct tape will get you to third gear.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well if you're a cheap bastard like me..... just go to the hardware store and buy a couple of heim joints and a piece of threaded rod and make your own.

I think I spent around $10 for the whole thing. The drill out the factory ball joints. Install a bolt through the hole and mount it up. I really don't have that good of a pic. of the set up but you can see it here:

Shifter broke, looking for an easy and inexpensive way to fix.-003.jpg

and if you blow up the pic you can see it a bit better.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well if you're a cheap bastard like me..... just go to the hardware store and buy a couple of heim joints and a piece of threaded rod and make your own.

I think I spent around $10 for the whole thing. The drill out the factory ball joints. Install a bolt through the hole and mount it up. I really don't have that good of a pic. of the set up but you can see it here:

Attachment 9735

If you are looking for cheap, this is the way to do it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by pwshadow
How far are you looking to go. Im pretty sure Jb weld and duct tape will get you to third gear.
HAHA! Thanks for the input
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
If you can send me a link of one for 54 i would love to grab it!

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/p...tnumber_25628/

or

The whole hanger, footpeg and pedal for $85

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-firestor...#ht_500wt_1154

admittedly quite a swim

Originally Posted by viperkillertt
54, i would love to see that. As i said, i have been watching these on ebay and the lowest i have seen in 5 years was about 60 for a used one. The ones that are as banged up as mine with a screw in them still fetch about 45. If you can send me a link of one for 54 i would love to grab it!
The link you sent was for 74, so that is a little better and i might jump on it but i would really like to save more green.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

Attachment 9735

No need for all that on a 98. It uses the female threaded shifter rod.. Just drill out the OEM rod end, bolt on a 6mm male rod end and use the OEM shifter rod. Like this
Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Bike is all fixed up thanks to E.Marquez. He got me a new shifter and i got it in 2 days. I just finished installing it. Shifts better then ever! Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
No need for all that on a 98. It uses the female threaded shifter rod.. Just drill out the OEM rod end, bolt on a 6mm male rod end and use the OEM shifter rod. Like this
Well if you knew how mine broke you wouldn't say that.......
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Don't know if you want.. I have quite a few of the factory shifter assemblies on hand. Let me know if you are interest. sale to you cheap.. "Members prices"
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Don't know if you want.. I have quite a few of the factory shifter assemblies on hand. Let me know if you are interest. sale to you cheap.. "Members prices"
That would have been very helpful a few days ago, but i was taken care of. Thanks anyways.