Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork Front End Upgrade Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Fork Front End Upgrade Swap

I have been researching this topic extensively, and as everybody knows, it is difficult to put together all of the requirements out of 15 pages of dialog. I would like to see a thread become a sticky in the knowledge base, but if one thread could at least turn up on the searches that can answer most of the questions that would be great!

I am going to be doing the swap, and will document what I can here, but would also like others to chime in with their experience, and make this thread as valuable as possible.

From my research I have decided that it is best to use one model for most components, and I think the 929/954 makes for the simplest conversion (no?).

To get full benefit, One must use the wheel, rotors, calipers, axle/spacers, fender, upper and lower tripple clamps, and master cylinder from the same model (I am going for the 929/954). Although one could use a master cylinder off of a lot of different bikes as long as it is 16 mm (or the volume corresponds to the calipers).

For clearance issues and for comfort issues, I have gathered that using Heli bars is one of the only options; ideally those that were made for the TL-R.

What I haven't been able to get a clear picture on, is what to do for bearings. It seems that people get new steering head bearings, but what races are used? I see that 954/929 uses tapered rollers while VTR uses *****.

I also think it would be good to know what "ride height" differences there are between the VTR, RC51, 929/954, 900, 1000, F4i, GSXR, or other conversions. I know that the fork lengths are all different, and depending on which triple clamps are used, the resulting geometry will vary.

If anything I said is incorrect let me know, and if you have good data regarding model compatibility, or "must-do" items; post them here. While information is good, lets try to keep the dialog to a minimum, and the necessary information to a Maximum.

Last edited by fundgh; 10-15-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd chime in the RC51 front end is probably as easy of a swap as the 929/954... cost/availablity being the difference... and you will be a bit closer on the ride height travel... the RC forks are a bit longer (approx 1") to my knowledge.

I agree sticking with one front end is probably the best bet to aviod confusion of fitment of parts... although in my experience, the 929/954 lower triple works/fits the VTR farings and steering stops the best, (and fits the rest of the RC stuff just fine).... also costs less than the RC part.

As for bearings... the 929/954/RC51 (SP1 ONLY) triples should all accept the same bearings... easiest way to solve this has been a call to All ***** bearings... they can look up bearing/race sizes and get you what you need... i think they have helped quite a few people on these swaps. If your swapping the front end... a few minutes to swap the beaings is a good thing... they an also help with Rim swaps... very nice people to deal with.

Clipons... I am using a set of Ducati 900ss helis... fit great... almost exactley where the VFR bar swap will put them, maybe a bit wider. I could lower the placement to get closer to stock if I wanted as well.

If you start a sticky thread, I'll post up my parts list, and pics... LMK.

J.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Back Marker

Useful links

What benefit is the upgrade?
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=fork

CBR1000rr fork swap:
- Hawkrider's:
- IceBud's:

RC51:

929/954:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=929+954+fork

F4i:

A thread with other links related to the frone end swap (VFR forum, handlebars, etc) posted by IceBud:

Fender Suitability:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13013

Last edited by fundgh; 10-23-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

Quote from RC996:
RC51 has 320mm rotors.
929/954 have 330mm rotors.
Neither will fit the VTR or CBR 600 wheels.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I used the All ***** bearings for a 954 for my 954 front end swap. The bearings come with races, so it's not a problem.
For handlebars I drilled the upper triple and mounted conventional bar mounts and used a cheap superbike tubular bar. I did have to make spacers out of aluminum and that was quite a bit of labor because of the gull wing design of the 954 triple. The height of the bar I used is similar to the stock clipons, but the reach is a little shorter.
The stock VTR calipers will fit on the 954 fork, so you can use them if you have to. I also have a set of calipers and master cylinder from an F4i, which I actually prefer to the 954 setup I have. Brake systems that will bolt right on and work well are RC51, 929, 954, F4, F4i, 600RR. The 954, post 2001 RC51 and 600RR systems have the same calipers and master cylinder bores. F4 and F4i systems have greater leverage: for a given amount of effort at the lever they will provide more pressure on the caliper pistons.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you use the 929/954 triple then almost any set of 50mm forks will work. The top triple is 50mm, the bottom is 54mm. 1000RR forks are the same dimensions and I believe most GSXR forks are the same as well. The only thing you'll have to deal with is wheel spacer and clip-on issues if you decide to mix and match. The 1000RR forks are the very latest technology and the spring rate matches my weight, which is why I decided on those vice 929/954. I also reap the benefits of having the latest radial caliper braking technology. I'm not aware of any 50mm fork that is long enough to allow clip-ons to be mounted above the triple.

The All-***** kit you need is #22-1020 ($31.95) and they are tapered bearings. I recommend you get the tools to install the lower race before you dive into it. I got lucky and had some aluminum tubing for fork springs laying around. Your local Honda dealer could also do this. Getting the old race off is no piece of cake either.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah again the all ***** kit is the way to go. Comes with the races and removal & install is pretty easy. I also got lucky and happen to have a piece of pipe the EXACT size I needed for install. Also check out convertibars. They offer a huge range of adjustments-only downside is they are $$$$. Also look into a set of 954 clip ons. They have a huge rise to them-kinda like budget helibars. Oh and I also used an rc51 front end and it's a pretty straightforward swap. You will need to be patient depending on how **** you are about the initial loss of steering radius, but with adjustable bars and spacing the radiators back its fixable (I also added a brembo radial mc which didn't help because it hit the gauges lol).

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-15-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

More in other thread, but it is becoming ever so clear that Handle Bars/Clip-ons is the biggest challenge. I will tell you right here what doesn't work on a complete 954 front end:
-954 Clipons - Steering lock is reduced to 25 Degrees. First point of impact is the brake master cylinder on the gauges, Second point of impact is the clutch master cylinder on the gauges, Throttle housing tubes slightly rub on fairing.
-1 1/8" Protaper Dirtbike bars - Too high, too wide. Requires all new cables and fluid lines. Point of impact would be the upper fairing and fairing stay. Would be a great mod for street fighter though.
-929 Helibars - Everything works great, except the throttle housing tubes hit the fairing with the slightest of RH turn.

Options that seem to work (But I haven't tried because I apparently am not satisfied until I try everything that doesn't work first) -
-7/8" Superbike bar conversion
-TL Helibar
-Convertibar, or other adjustable clip-on
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Oh BTW.. convertibars work... But dammit... it takes freaking forever to find a position that's both nice and ridable and doesn't hit anything... ¨

It makes it a lot easier if you have longer brake&clutch lines... (I have stock...) Also me being stubborn and refusing to compromise on the CBR radial M/C doesnt help... It one big lump that it is...

Where can you get longer throttle cables and how much???
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Motion pro for throttle cables. Any decent brake company that makes SS lines can make you something custom for front brakes - Galfer, Goodridge, HEL, etc.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Oh BTW.. convertibars work... But dammit... it takes freaking forever to find a position that's both nice and ridable and doesn't hit anything... ¨

It makes it a lot easier if you have longer brake&clutch lines... (I have stock...) Also me being stubborn and refusing to compromise on the CBR radial M/C doesnt help... It one big lump that it is...

Where can you get longer throttle cables and how much???
Motion Pro Throtle Custom Cables $70 + Shpg

Hel Clutch any length incl shpg $50 Brake 2-line call
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Gotcha! hehe
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Gotcha! hehe
Oh no! I just jumped in after the tag, and clothes-lined them. Think TEAMWORK.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
another option is Flanders in pasadena (of cables and flanders bar fame). they will modify cables very cheaply. I had to have a couple shortened by 1.5 inches and they charged my 5 dollars. worth calling them to check.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
I use the RC forks on my swap along with the TL1000 helibars, I also used the upper triple from a rc51 SP1 which will give you approx 3/4" of an inch higher bar height so that you will not rub the lower part of the fairings. The lower triple is from a 929/954.

The brake lines are custom galfers that are RC51 length plus 1.5"s and they fit perfect when mated to RC master cyl. and rc-51 calipers.

Dennis
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Back Marker

Anyone run the 929/954 forks with a RC51 upper tripple? From all that I have read, it will lower the front more than a desirable amount? Does anyone have experience with this? I am down to needing about 1/4" so that the throttle housing tubes will clear the fairing. I have tweaked the tubes, adjusted the clip ons, rotated the throttel, moved the master cylinder, and I just can't quite get the clearance without cutting a hole in the fairing.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Back Marker

Hey,

I have not read or heard of anyone using that combo do to the length of the 929/954 forks. On top of that the RC-SP1 upper is a pain to try and find used due to the fact that the bike was only produced 2 years. I am sure that it would fix your problem with clearance with the lower part of the fairing and hte throttle tubes.

Just a side note, don't some bikes use a throttle assy that has the cables that come out of the top instead of the bottom like the Superhawk one does?? That might be onother option for you.

Dennis
Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

CBR1000RR has the throttle cables coming out the top. This may interfere with the ears of the fairing though.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Back Marker

Well it sounds like in his situation th CBR1000RR throttle assy might be the solution. Since he is having problems with the bars being in the fairings. The CBR throttle might also be more progressive than the one on the VTR.

Dennis