Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fog/Driving Lights

Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Fog/Driving Lights

Anybody add additional lighting to their Hawk? I bought some driving lights from Autozone with the intention of mounting one on the chin fairing and pointing it straight down so I have light for those long nighttime interstate wheelies. Now I'm thinking I just want more light but I'm scared these lights will make the Hawk look like a Goldwing.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
twin 55 watt halogens

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Anybody add additional lighting to their Hawk? I bought some driving lights from Autozone with the intention of mounting one on the chin fairing and pointing it straight down so I have light for those long nighttime interstate wheelies. Now I'm thinking I just want more light but I'm scared these lights will make the Hawk look like a Goldwing.
Check my VTR out. I added these years ago along with a Sylvania BriteStar H$ in the head ligt. The tinzies are switched by an aluminated rocker inboard of the highbeam/horn pod. Everyone who has commented thoght they were neato & well done. Even with my tailtrunk I still don't get mistaken for a Wing.
Attached Thumbnails Fog/Driving Lights-vtr-1.jpg   Fog/Driving Lights-vtr-2.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Actually yes...very nice.
Any pix of mounting....brand
Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
People actually say neato?

Looks good. There is a company that makes fork mounted lights for motorcycles. I can't remember the brand, but I always see them in my motorcyce magazines. They mount to the forks by the fender attach points.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
... long nighttime interstate wheelies. Now I'm thinking I just want more light but I'm scared these lights will make the Hawk look like a Goldwing.
Ha ha! Not to worry... put on gps, cupholders, whatever... you'll still be a hooligan!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
SuperBike

DLs

Originally Posted by redman
Actually yes...very nice.
Any pix of mounting....brand

I frabricated the mounts & wiring loom myself. The lights themselves I bought for like $20 at Pep Boys or JCW many moons ago. The key is finding lights with a "female" clevis. PM me & I'll send you a sketch of the installation. MoonLights aatch to the forks & other mfgrs sell better lights with the femail clevis, you just have to look around.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
skokie... I can't believe I'm saying this ... but those light actually look pretty cool the way you mounted them on the 'Hawk
Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shawkpilot
People actually say neato?
You make it sound like a dirty word
Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
SuperSport

Ok...next question for everyone...
I was looking at my $20 "Driving Lights" and did not see any indication of electrical power supply required. I don't know much about electricity. Today I switched to single filament turn signals so I have 2 hot wires in the front of my bike. Could I use this circuit to power 2 55w driving lights? Or should I just upgrade to full coverage insurance and run it?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
SuperBike

Schematic & Detail Sketches

I drew these for Stu Abbot in Nippon in 04 (who had a little guy at a local track near Tokyo make 10 morwe sets of our case guards) but designed, fabed & installed my DLs around 01
Attached Thumbnails Fog/Driving Lights-vtr-dl-mount-detail.jpg   Fog/Driving Lights-vtr-dl-schematic-fairing.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Sweet, this is why I love this forum!

Nice schematic!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

DL Wiring

Ok...next question for everyone...
I was looking at my $20 "Driving Lights" and did not see any indication of electrical power supply required. I don't know much about electricity. Today I switched to single filament turn signals so I have 2 hot wires in the front of my bike. Could I use this circuit to power 2 55w driving lights? Or should I just upgrade to full coverage insurance and run it?
No. Buy from radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103227&cp and http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...w=274-670&sr=1 to create a wire terminal block with up to 8 circuits. Run power with 16 gauge minimum wire thru in-line fuse http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search to terminal block and then from terminal (+ & -) thru another (same) in-line fuse with 16 gauge minimum wire to illuminated rocker switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...&tab=techSpecs & then split to driving lights.

Terminal block can be used (in conjunction with relays) other devices.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
SuperSport

Ok...scratch the full coverage insurance then...I'm upping my life insurance cause I'm gonna get fried! Haha, I know it won't kill me but I guess this will be an all day project (depending on when I run out of beer). So what would happen if I ran the lights off the running light circuit? I have tried one light just to see if it worked, would 2 blow the fuse?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
SuperBike

Ok...scratch the full coverage insurance then...I'm upping my life insurance cause I'm gonna get fried! Haha, I know it won't kill me but I guess this will be an all day project (depending on when I run out of beer). So what would happen if I ran the lights off the running light circuit? I have tried one light just to see if it worked, would 2 blow the fuse?
Do what you friggin want! The VTR alternator only puts out 280 watts (i.e. about 22 amps) and the OEM electrical system demands at least 13 amps, leaving less than 9 amps to play with. Two 55 watt DLs draw about 9 amps given use of 16+ gauge wire, meaning you can't run the DLs full time , so they need to be switched. Add in a radar detector (wired with inline fuse to the instrument pod light circuit), heated vest, Ipod, or whatever the heck else and you are running on empty so to speak. That is why I added a auxilary relay operated main headlight loom (that only uses the OEM hots to trip the relays) and a CPU heat sink & nested 50 X 10 mm cooler fan to the VR/R. Take it from an old fart who also happens to be an engineer, read & follow the INSTRUCTIONS so nicely provided.