Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

First performance upgrade for a Stock Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think you meant Spiegler. Yes, they are good but I have never bought them because you really don't get that much more for the extra $$ spent over Galfer or Goodrich.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Do NOT do this without first getting the forks sorted. The stock forks are too soft and bouncy and raising the rear can and will push the limit of stability in certain situations (can you say tank slapper?).
Yep, was told the exact same thing from Roger Ditchfield of Revolution Racing in the UK (definitely one of the most knowledgeable VTR tuners anywhere)
Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
i had a gixxer 750 setup done, was gonna run the 6 pot 1000 cc gixxer brakes but my buddy who races said alot of guys upgrade to the 750 brakes as they hold more fluid and wont fade out like the 6 pots will.
I read the same thing from various people in regards to the GSX-R six-pots compared to the 4-pots from the RC51/929/F4i.....

Also, not trying not stir the pot here but I tried the TPS adjustment and went back to the stock OEM setting (which, in my case, was about 800 ohms), the "recommended setting" (500 ohms) offered nothing in the way of benefits and actually hindered power and response in the low and mids. The beauty of it, however, is that it can be adjusted back should you wish to give it a try.

cheers
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I think you meant Spiegler. Yes, they are good but I have never bought them because you really don't get that much more for the extra $$ spent over Galfer or Goodrich.
I have them on my VTR, and I found the adjustable banjo's to be really good. You can easily dial out line twist with them. Nice to have if you are as picky as I am.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Squid

c-dub is on a distinguished road
1. exhaust
2. ear plugs
3. jet kit
4. sprockets
5. pocket full of $1 for the hoes that will sweat your pimp game
(all mods should be done at once!)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
mate it has to be a set of pipes when you hear it you'll be like O.o, first mod for any bike imo

after that stainless brake lines
Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
Were I to do things again:

Earplugs
CCT's
Loud pipes
Remove PAIR valve
Fork springs and heavier oil

Earplugs: The windnoise causes fatigue. You'll be amazed by how less tired you are after a long day on her.

CCT's: At 60000km I have just replaced mine with my own manual ones. This was the second stocker I've had die.

Loud pipes: V-twins were invented for these! Riding one without is a crime! Besides, muppets in cages actually look for the rumble now, instead of just changing lanes without looking. People pulling into my personal space (requiring evasive action) used to be a weekly occurance. Its happened 4 times since I put the noisy pipes on. Three years...

Fork springs and heavier oil: At 90KG, I'm a little heavier than the standard springs are built for. Haven't done this yet, but its in the wings...

Bear in mind that I mostly hack to work or tour on her. Not much in the way of spirited stuff. Besides, I find that if I try to go fast on her, I gearshift backwards... Same problem cruising my racebike through the pits-GP shift...
I'm happy to keep her stockish. I do my silly stuff on the racetrack, where an ambo is only 2 minutes away...

Last edited by Kieran; 01-02-2010 at 02:43 AM.