Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what pipes you running on the bike.i have the carbs that went to that motor and it was relatively stock set up with yoshs on it when it was on inderockers.it had the pair removal.
what year is the motor,what year is your harness/brain etc etc......
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
motor is a 2005, my ecu/harness etc... is 2003; I have a single exhaust conversion with a two brothers racing can.

inderocker said he was running a K&N air filter with stock jetting with his engine...I can't help but think something else is wrong with the bike or the way they put it together...I am going to tear down the airbox area and remove the carbs and take pictures tonight...maybe I can pickup some vacuum caps on my way home and get rid of the stupid pair crap while I'm in there...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i would go thru everything to make sure everything is hooked up where it belongs,there is something not connected,plugged or plugged in the wrong spot.just go thru the whole thing.
check your plugs too,see if its wet or fouling.
could be the carb is bad.jetted with single exaust could be the culprit.start back to original if you can.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
lol it's funny how everyone is like "set the jetting back to <this>"..how would I have any jets for the thing laying around?

I guess after I rule out everything else I will have to order a pair of #48s like it says in the carb setup sticky thread and go from there...

honestly the single exhaust didn't make a big difference at all, I went that way because the stock setup was broken on the other side.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Well the problems you describe sound like they could be jetting issues. If you haven't at least checked to see what your jetting is I'd do that next. And if it's anything different than what's described I'd go back to that.

Also it could be your single exhaust is throwing things out of kilter as well. Making a big change like that will dramatically change how the exhaust flows and could create issues as you describe especially depending on how it was done.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Actually it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Modifying the air box can work but requires a lot of dyno time for a small gain.
Also the wrong mods will really hurt your power. If the shop hasn't done a VTR before, don't let them hack away at it as it will not work when they are done.

So I would start with saige's advice and double check all the hoses and carb isolators.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blamecanada
sorry for the thread resurrection...I purchased inderocker's engine and I am having some real issues with it running...

the shop cut my stock airbox and blocked off the ram air 'spot' with the snorkel...that was the closest the bike has come to running correctly...but it still sucks tipping it into corners in the canyons...basically there is a flat spot whenever I roll on the throttle from 3-6k RPM...

I obtained a stock airbox from a forum member and put that on the bike...it got WAYYY worse...MASSIVE flat spot, I have to roll 3/4 of the way onto the throttle once the bike is on the freeway just to get it to move consistently and then it takes off like a rocketship.

With my old engine I had a dyno-jet kit and it was running great at all RPM ranges...

The shop said "your bike needs re-jetting and this airbox mod"...I said not to cut the airbox but they said otherwise it won't run correctly....I wish I insisted they fix it correctly and I'm not taking it back till it runs with the stock airbox but hindsight is 20/20.

The flat spot gets progressively worse the faster you're moving...I guess because more air is pressurizing the airbox?

Any ideas or tips to getting the bike to work correctly with the advancer would be appreciated...I want to run the stock airbox and filter, not a hacked up one.
Jacking with the airbox has had well documented results, usually all bad if you don't know exactly what you're doing and what you plan to achieve. What sort of air filter do you have? What jets do you have in the carbs. Sounds like you need to pull the carbs and start over and check all vacuum lines.