Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Post Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?

Guys,

I bought my 'Hawk over a year and a half ago and tried to improve the throttle response I was getting by going back to stock. The previous owner had apprently installed an ignition advance and I put a stock advance in, to attempt to remidy things.
So here's a few pictures, and I'm a wondering if this is Factory Pro's 4+ ignition advance? The only indication it's from "anyone" is this small right angle stamp in it. I've emailed FP and am awaiting a repsonse - but am also putting together an "eBay pile", and this will go with it - and am looking to answer my year old question today hopefully.
I know that some of you are up for one of these and I will only make it available through eBay when the time comes around so you can fight over it together and everyone has a fair chance at taking a shot at it if this part turns out to be what the previous owner said it was. ...I believe he said it was a 6+ deg' advance but I don't remember exactly and have reason to believe it is only the 4+ one.
Anyhoo - thanks for your input in advance...
Attached Thumbnails Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-996-4-ignition-advance.jpg   Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-996-4-ignition-advance-2-.jpg   Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-996-4-ignition-advance-3-.jpg   Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-996-4-ignition-advance-4-.jpg  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
They made +2,+4 and +6 degree advancers but the +4 is the only one worth a damn....with that I can't tell you what you have
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

Smile

Thanks for the input 'Hawk. Anyone else have any ideas?
-Still no word back from FP.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
From what I recall that is the +4, I had one on my SH but later found out '02s on had more advance from the factory and sold it.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Back Marker

Thumbs up

Thank you for the note Rick. We'll see if I can get a response from Factory Pro before the weekend arrives to confirm things.
Before I make this available to anyone, I want to make certain of what I'm offering to people - so - thank you both (Rick and Hawk) for your input as it gives me some sort of consumer lead in a general direction that I'm looking for before I hear from FP.
Also, were Factory Pro the only ones who made an ignition advance for the 'Hawk?
Cheers...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It'd be very difficult to differentiate between them without a protractor. That measurement is just too small to be able to tell by eye.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I'm going by the "4" on one of the points in the last picture - I recall my +4 having that on it.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Back Marker

Yea, I know it's tough to call.
And note: It's a right angled triangle stamped there - not a "4". I have no clue why someone would stamp a triangle instead of a true "4". But anyway - still no word on this from FP.

Last edited by Spaz'; 04-04-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:07 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE still no word on this from FP.[/QUOTE]

I emailed FactoryPro over a month ago, asking if, and when, they would have the VTR ignition advancers available. You'd think they could manage to find 12 or 15 seconds to respond, but they didn't bother. I can only conclude that FactoryPro is a shitass outfit not worthy of doing business with. Glad I bought my jet kit from DynoJet, who care enough to respond to my requests for info.

Last edited by RK1; 04-05-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Back Marker

Smile

I'll give them a call this week and see what's up.
I really think this is a six degree advance - I think I remember the previous owner noting it as so - I think, but I needed your guys input - and I thank you for it. Beyond that, I specifically noted my gas mileage going up ~1.5mpg after I put a stock advance in. Maybe that helps in peoples assesment here.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Spaz'
I'll give them a call this week and see what's up.
I really think this is a six degree advance - I think I remember the previous owner noting it as so - I think, but I needed your guys input - and I thank you for it. Beyond that, I specifically noted my gas mileage going up ~1.5mpg after I put a stock advance in. Maybe that helps in peoples assesment here.
Really sounds like the +6 to me, sorry to say. Maybe I'll ride up to San Rafel one of these days and just stop in at FP
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Squid

ride57 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RickB
From what I recall that is the +4, I had one on my SH but later found out '02s on had more advance from the factory and sold it.

I had got one last year, then lowsided. I checked it against the stock one (2004) and it was the same (as far as I can tell) I put it in as I had already opened it.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Back Marker

Smile So...

Late last week, I called Factory Pro and spoke with a "Mark" who asked that I send this thing (The ignition advance that you see in my first post pics') to them down in CA. It sounded like they had someone contracted out at some point to help out with making some of these and that some of them came out bad. I think this took place on Thursday, and I had it USPS priority shipped down to them the next morning.
Today, I got this in the mail, with a backwards "4" (Not some right angled triangle) stamped into it on the front face, with a more yellow colored plating on it.
So I'll give it a shot again. But I have to get up the energy to clean off that gasket Honda uses on these covers and drain the coolant - last time I was in there, I spilled a sufficient amount into the oil pan and had to end up pulling that - I always manage something intelligent......
As per this consumers experience with FP - they have done an excellent job of standing by their product.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-4-deg-factory-pro-ignition-advance.jpg   Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-4-deg-factory-pro-ignition-advance-2-.jpg   Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?-4-deg-factory-pro-ignition-advance-3-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Squid

Here is the Factory pro and my stock (2004)

Here they are on top of each other:

I read somewhere that the newer hawk's are at 4deg and this sort of confirms it for me. So, I have a extra 4deg advancer.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Mine is a 98, so I'm guessing the advancer will help me. Looking at the fiche, It apears that you remove the side cover and there it sits, lol- gotta be more than that?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ride57
Here is the Factory pro and my stock (2004)

Here they are on top of each other:

I read somewhere that the newer hawk's are at 4deg and this sort of confirms it for me. So, I have a extra 4deg advancer.
Let me know what you want 4 it get 4 it seriously though.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You sure they're the same? Looks to me like the splines don't line up. Might be the pic though. Pay attention to the large spline location. Align those and then compare the location of the pickup points.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Squid

Hawkider, you have hawk eyes, and mine suck

I put them on the shaft and there is a difference,. Before I just held them in my hand and aligned them up and it sure looked like the splines lined up to me.

So My apologies to all.

(crawls back under rock)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Glad we got this cleared up. I just bought a +4 advancer and thought I wasted 60 bucks. Will double check and report after the install on my '03.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Glad we got this cleared up. I just bought a +4 advancer and thought I wasted 60 bucks. Will double check and report after the install on my '03.
Let me know how that works out for you. My curiosity is piqued...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
2003 VTR

+1 on curiosity
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Ok, here's the update on the install of the +4 advancer on a '03. I compared spline to spline, stock vs +4 and there is an easily discernable difference, so I think it's safe to say that the newer bikes do not come with added advance. 60 bucks not wasted (phew)! Oh yeah, dont forget to lock down the primary gear before removing advancer. I found out the hard way.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Ok, here's the update on the install of the +4 advancer on a '03. I compared spline to spline, stock vs +4 and there is an easily discernable difference, so I think it's safe to say that the newer bikes do not come with added advance. 60 bucks not wasted (phew)! Oh yeah, dont forget to lock down the primary gear before removing advancer. I found out the hard way.
Is that the gear I see behind the advancer?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Originally Posted by TheRezyReb
Is that the gear I see behind the advancer?
Yes, that's the one. There is a hole to put a 6mm bolt through to lock the gear to the tensioner. If you don't you'll have to pull the clutch out in order to reassemble. Ask me how I know!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
huh
Squid

01-hawkster is on a distinguished road
Yall are gonna scorn me for it, but when I put my advancer in I just stuck a screwdriver in the teeth between clutch and gear behind the advan.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Jbaxx,
So.....what did the advance do? Any new thoughts?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

I installed the advancer and jetted the bike at the same time, so I can't comment specifically on the performance improvement of the advancer alone. I can say this though - the bike runs damn good now!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I can second that! I got improved throttle response and slightly better mpg's out of it. Definitely a worthy mod!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
sorry for the thread resurrection...I purchased inderocker's engine and I am having some real issues with it running...

the shop cut my stock airbox and blocked off the ram air 'spot' with the snorkel...that was the closest the bike has come to running correctly...but it still sucks tipping it into corners in the canyons...basically there is a flat spot whenever I roll on the throttle from 3-6k RPM...

I obtained a stock airbox from a forum member and put that on the bike...it got WAYYY worse...MASSIVE flat spot, I have to roll 3/4 of the way onto the throttle once the bike is on the freeway just to get it to move consistently and then it takes off like a rocketship.

With my old engine I had a dyno-jet kit and it was running great at all RPM ranges...

The shop said "your bike needs re-jetting and this airbox mod"...I said not to cut the airbox but they said otherwise it won't run correctly....I wish I insisted they fix it correctly and I'm not taking it back till it runs with the stock airbox but hindsight is 20/20.

The flat spot gets progressively worse the faster you're moving...I guess because more air is pressurizing the airbox?

Any ideas or tips to getting the bike to work correctly with the advancer would be appreciated...I want to run the stock airbox and filter, not a hacked up one.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Have you gone into your carbs and checked the jetting? I'd start there. Look up the carb setup thread and set them up as it explains as a baseline. If you've got the Dynojet Jetkit in it I'd try to dump that. I've always hated Dynojet Jetkits as their sizes are all messed up when compared to the factory jets so it's hard to compare or know what you've really got.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this the Factory Pro 4+ Ignition Advance?