Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust wraps

Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
Exhaust wraps

Anyone using theses or have experience with em?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I do have my header wrapped.

It is a band aid fix, but really does keep the heat in the pipe where it belongs and not on my legs in the summer.

Jet Hot coating is a much better option though.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Jet hot coating? Never heard of that, and how should I do it?

I googled it. Looks expensive. The wraps are $25, esp considering I don't have much invested into the engine.

Last edited by whatthefnck; 04-04-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by whatthefnck
Jet hot coating? Never heard of that, and how should I do it?

I googled it. Looks expensive. The wraps are $25, esp considering I don't have much invested into the engine.
Quality exhaust insulation (Like ThermoTech Thermo-Tec Automotive - 2" x 50' WRAP ) is a bit more then $25, but still only a 1/3 of ceramic coating (that would be Jet Hot or the like)
\
Beware of cheap powder coat places that also do ceramic coating.. Ask them if the coat inside AND out, or just outside. .. Most all the low bid places will sell you a story about only doing the outside (and surprise it's all they offer)

Jet Hot is just one place that does quality work... and work I trust.

And yes good ceramic coating is more then wrap... but then you get a better end product, that will last a long time and look great.

Vs wrapping which will lessen the life of the pipe, look like crap after a few months, and only work part as well as ceramic coating.

So as with most things, you get what you pay for.

I'm looking for a replacement pipe as mine has one small ding before I do Jet Hot coating on mine.. I bought all new clamps and gaskets.. so the finished product will look as good as it performs.

Wrapping is not bad,,, it's just not as good as coating.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget cost of new exhaust gaskets when looking at anything that involves removing the pipes.

I wrapped mine. Takes some time and helps to have a buddy for some parts, but if you do it right it won't unravel nearly as fast or at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I had mine wrapped just long enuff to find out (from a race team mechanic) that it would destroy my carbon fiber cans in no time.

Now just have the part near the oil cooler wrapped to help it stay cool(er)

Hey willynilly, you have the most inquisitive newbie of the decade award. Carry on. Knowledge is power (or something like that)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hey willynilly, you have the most inquisitive newbie of the decade award. Carry on. Knowledge is power (or something like that)
Is that towards me? If so I'll take it as a compliment haa. I like to learn.
Btw I have stock exhaust cans with 8 hole drill bafflectomy

Last edited by whatthefnck; 04-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Don't forget cost of new exhaust gaskets when looking at anything that involves removing the pipes.

I wrapped mine. Takes some time and helps to have a buddy for some parts, but if you do it right it won't unravel nearly as fast or at all.
Unraveling is not really an issue as you noted if done well.. But the wear and tear of using, washing, weather makes the wrap look ratty in my opinion quickly.
still, it works well enough for the buy in, and does make a noticeable difference in heat transferred to my leg
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I have this on my bike. Looks good, very effective, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. Don't buy the cheap ones at the bottom of the list, they are not worth it.

Motorcycle Exhaust Wrap | Heatshield Products
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Thx Jack. It's is what I've found here by me

DESIGN ENGINEERING - Header Wrap - Other Parts - Parts - CycleGear - Cycle Gear
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
I wrapped mine last weekend (DEI brand) - dont be alarmed when you see alot of smoke coming off the exhaust the first time you run your bike. My neighbor actually thought I was BBQing something .
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Squid

Skeeterthefourth is on a distinguished road
Just re-raped my yesterday. You have to soak it in water before use. Make sure you start from the back of the bike and work foward so the wind wont be pulling at the folds and it will last longer. And when you start a section fold the end in about an inch then wrap around once then tie off then keep going. Mine smoked for a good 10-15 minutes but it was colored and those smoke longer. Looks great now.

Last edited by Skeeterthefourth; 04-05-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The other side effect of wraps is they raise combustion chamber temps. All that heat kept in the headers that cant dissipate has to go somwhere. That can be desireable on racebikes but not what I wanted to put my streeter through.

Also plan on muffler packing burning out in half the time since gases going through are twice as hot.

But yeah, your legs may be cooler.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The other side effect of wraps is they raise combustion chamber temps. All that heat kept in the headers that cant dissipate has to go somwhere. That can be desireable on racebikes but not what I wanted to put my streeter through.

Also plan on muffler packing burning out in half the time since gases going through are twice as hot.

But yeah, your legs may be cooler.
I understand the theory, and it may be a contributing factor to CF can skins failing early..

Pipe corrosion under the wrap YES to some small degree. But nothing heat related.

I've wrapped pipes on many street bikes and a number of track bikes 2 stroke and 4...to protect bodywork, protect cooling systems, wiring harnesses, and oil / water lines from heat. Never noticed any issues but I don't discount your experiences, so it's good to hear them as well.

To each his own, do what works for you

Last edited by E.Marquez; 04-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Squid

Blackbetty is on a distinguished road
Ceramic coating?

Would painting with a cermaic coating assist in heat dissipation?
I see VHT have a series of paints designed for this purpose.. Am thinking a white or lighter colour might have similar benefits.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Wrapping the top section of the front header to keep the oil cooler cooler is good. I extended it past the oil pan for the same reason. It's also a good idea the wrap the top section of the rear header to keep the shock cooler.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Blackbetty
Would painting with a cermaic coating assist in heat dissipation?
I see VHT have a series of paints designed for this purpose.. Am thinking a white or lighter colour might have similar benefits.
I don't think it will have the same heat insulation properties as ceramic coating.. but give it a try and let your temp gun before and after be the judge
Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Squid

Blackbetty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I don't think it will have the same heat insulation properties as ceramic coating.. but give it a try and let your temp gun before and after be the judge
Cool.. would be interested in seeing the results.. Im looking at insulating my exhaust after installing a AFM bung in the reacts. Figure if im going ot have the thing off I may as well do some extra work on...
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I put DEI Titanium wrap on the up pipe to keep my boots from melting. I have had no issues with them, and they look great on the bike. The only thing would be to re-wrap 2-3 times a year to check for corrosion/clean. I found it to be a lot cheaper for the amount I needed than sending it off to get coated.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Squid

MaineHawk is on a distinguished road
Bought some titanium wrap today, i'm gonna try it out and i'll post my results. I have a full low fairing on my bike and its getting hot and bubbling paint where the clearance is tight between the pipe and body panel. Hopefully all goes well
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MaineHawk
Bought some titanium wrap today, i'm gonna try it out and i'll post my results. I have a full low fairing on my bike and its getting hot and bubbling paint where the clearance is tight between the pipe and body panel. Hopefully all goes well
Had fantastic experience with Thermo-Tec heat shielding for this purpose. Used some on the inside of the sharkskinz on a gsxr600 I used to own. With the heat shield and the header maybe an inch away, the outside of the painted fairing was only warm to the touch. Further away, with no heat shield and the header say 4 or 5 inches away the fairing was red hot. Impressive and certainly saves a nice paint job.