Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

exhaust confusing me

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Squid

flag_pole is on a distinguished road
exhaust confusing me

let me start this off by stating I own a 98 vtr 1000 (somewhat obvious) anyways it's all stock except for a +3 on the rear sprocket. I've been wanting to purchase slip on pipes but haven't had the needs to get them since I would like to purchase the jets at the same time. so I decided to say **** it, and pull the heavy *** mufflers off and run it so to say straight piped.

the bike ran rich with the stock pipes and has leaned itself out to a good spot. a little popping but nothing I wasn't expecting (except for how obnoxiously loud it is)

I know I know straight piping is so called bad for your motor I've heard the lecture. my question comes down to, everyone says that you lose low end torque and horsepower. I've noticed the opposite. okay maybe I lose torque till about 2.5-3k rpm. but it seems like no mufflers has opened a new motor. has no problem standing up on one wheel up to 3rd with no clutch and up to 5th with minor clutch. and I've noticed a major upgrade in acceleration and, as well, top end.

I am confused because I have read all these downsides about straight piping (performance wise) and yet it has made a enormous difference in my bike. any one else done this and gotten the same or different results?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
inturesting
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
A likely problem could be "shots fired" by your neighbors. I once tested my '53 Triumph with the mufflers off. The flames were great and my neighbors stood on their porches and waved, sort of. lol Also, you may burn an exhaust valve with zero muffler back pressure.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Back pressure is your friend. Read some technical articles on four stroke exhaust waves, back pressure, etc.

Unless you have dyno charts proving you gained horsepower, i'm guessing you actually lost horsepower and your brain is fooling you because of the new sound.

Removing your mufflers is not a fix for a rich condition. Fix your jetting with the mufflers on.

James
Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
No 3rd gear, 4th gear & 5th gear wheelie videos, then it didn't happen.

Not calling you a liar, I just want to see some wheelie videos.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Me thinks the auditory senses are fooling you into thinking that the bike is performing better because of the sound, sort of like bigger is better.

My bike has many mods and will loft the front wheel in third under the right conditions without abuse.

Get some decent cans, re jet her and enjoy the bike .

I know for a fact that loud pipes save lives, however you are taking it to the extreme.

If you can't afford to buy new cans core the originals, there are many posts about it and re jet it before you harm your engine, your ear drums and your relationship with your neighbours.

By the way I see this is your first post so welcome to the fold and enjoy your VTR as they are an amazing bike that just give and give especially if you do!

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride, be warned these things are an addiction.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
No 3rd gear, 4th gear & 5th gear wheelie videos, then it didn't happen.

Not calling you a liar, I just want to see some wheelie videos.
I will try and get some videos having nasty weather in Texas ATM so ride time is sadly limited for the moment

yes I know bad bad for the exhaust valve runnin no muffler.

I was considering doing some work on the stock cans to de baffle them just don't have the right tools in my garage now.

I'm not fancy enough to have access to a dyno so It is all by the seat of my pants. sounding louder and thinking I have more power makes sense I'm just not fully sold on it yet.

and yes. this bike is the biggest addiction I have. multiple nights have I pondered about selling her for a 600 or a newer 1000 but I just cant get rid of the hawk. somethin about it has me comin back for more
Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
My vote for the sake of the motorcycling community is that you cease and desist running straightpipes. Just not good for the planet.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
My vote for the sake of the motorcycling community is that you cease and desist running straightpipes. Just not good for the planet.
I plan on it. I rode it last night and ragged out that throttle and I couldn't hear well once I arrived home. I'm going to probably just core out the stock pipes. but who knows when that will be considering I just found out my right fork seal is completely blown. joy! time to decide which front end I want to replace it with since I've read the stock setup isn't the greatest