Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I have two sets of carbs, and it's confusing me :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I have two sets of carbs, and it's confusing me :)

Due to a junkyard visit I have a second set of carbs/aribox, etc... well, digging into them I feel like I'm playing "what is different between these two pictures" with them.

Can anybody tell me what this is and why mine didn't have it (and seemed to run just fine)
Name:  PC150550.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  98.6 KB

Also, what is that unit in the middle of the carbs on the right. The plastic thing attached to hoses. Is it part of the PAIR system or have I misplaced mine and need to root through my "pieces I have left" pile.
Name:  PC150551.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  155.1 KB
Parts searching yielded little help, and I couldn't find any good pics to help me out. The way my bike is, it is hard to tell what the PO was thinking anyway, so I'm not too sure of anything...

Final question (and I know that this may get some scolding but may as well throw it in)- How do I know if I have a Jet Kit installed? This type of tuning is new to me so the questions are a little vague.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If you are pointing at the hose, it goes to the air valve for the pair system (the plastic thing in your second pic) and actually should be plugged if you are running without the pair stuff.

As for a jet kit, the easiest way to tell is look at the needles. If they have grooves (usually 5) and a "c" clip, they are aftermarket.

If the needle looks more like a "nail" with no grooves and a large flat head, it is stock.

If it does have a kit, look at the slid springs. If they are short, it's a DynoJet kit. If they are stock then it should be a FactoryPro kit (but might be something else which can be identified by a few other bits)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
If you are pointing at the hose, it goes to the air valve for the pair system (the plastic thing in your second pic) and actually should be plugged if you are running without the pair stuff.
Nice to know. I have to check and see if mine was capped off since my pair valves where not.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
MotoGP

Yes, I'm pointing to the hose... there isn't even an elbow piece there that the hose attaches onto. Just checked and it is plugged so someone knew what they're doing, so that part is settled. Next Q: what do I do with the hoses that attach to the part in the attached pic? Just thread them through the carb assembly plates (I think that's how they were)?

Jet kit confirmed. Are the slide springs the looooonnggg ones pressing against the caps? Cause they're long.

This bike was K&N and TwoBros equipped so the jet kit was probably necessary...
Attached Thumbnails I have two sets of carbs, and it's confusing me :)-dis-ones.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

That is the float bowl vent. I wouldn't run the lines through the carb stays but attached to the outside and pointing down instead.

As for the springs, Yes the ones going to the cap. The should be aprox. a foot long or so.

So it sounds like a FactoryPro kit, the last thing to check is the lift holes. On the end of the slide (where the needle comes out) there should be 2 holes.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
MotoGP

Needle:
Name:  PC160556.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  52.8 KB

Holes:
Name:  PC150553.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  82.1 KB

FactoryPro? I think I just got like 5 questions answered in one thread.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

I would say yes it is a FactoryPro kit.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
MotoGP

Ok, so I'm done here 'till I get the thing running again. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
DAM! ! 7moore7, Used your photos to -run thru a National Data Base- Those are some fine Dign. Pictures.... Don't mind the info I recieved off your fingerprints.... Ha Ha (to much NCIF) Whats the camera?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 AM
MotoGP

Hahahahah great! Yeah, they're pretty close up- it's acually a 4 year old Casio, but has a pretty decent Micro setting if you switch to it. Plus I was getting lazy and didn't resize the pics. I chose to make fingerprint identification easy by putting grime in the crevasses...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned
Back Marker

SuperBlink is on a distinguished road
How did you get the needle out of the needle slide? My professor swears it's not possible even though the svc man shows it as such in the exploded view. I also have to order a new diaphragm for it so I'll need to take that part apart anyway, would be big help if you could point in the right direction in terms of getting that slide apart!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Thread one of the screws that held down the top of the carb and thread it into the top post of the needle retainer. You can then grab it with a pliers and give a pull. Be careful so it doesnt dislodge at mach 2
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned
MotoGP

That is how they come out but I always use my hand to pull it out, no tools are really necessary. Just use the cover screw and rock it side to side a bit as you pull it out, no problem.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

a) what does SVC stand for?

b) What they said up there ^. It came out just wiggling with my fingers as well. One of the manuals (don't remember if it was Haynes, OEM Shop or both) said to do it this way.

I'd look into getting a manual or two if you don't have one and are doing those extensive classes. My moto mechanic knows quite a bit about quite a bit of bikes, but doesn't know everything about the Superhawk, and I wouldn't expect him to. The manual and this forum have proven him wrong more than once . But he has bearing presses and hella insight so with everyone's powers combined we can summon Captain Planet!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Service. Also, thanks for using the word "hella" in a sentence.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned
Back Marker

SuperBlink is on a distinguished road
Red face

Originally Posted by 7moore7

b) What they said up there ^. It came out just wiggling with my fingers as well. One of the manuals (don't remember if it was Haynes, OEM Shop or both) said to do it this way.

I'd look into getting a manual or two if you don't have one and are doing those extensive classes. My moto mechanic knows quite a bit about quite a bit of bikes, but doesn't know everything about the Superhawk, and I wouldn't expect him to. The manual and this forum have proven him wrong more than once . But he has bearing presses and hella insight so with everyone's powers combined we can summon Captain Planet!

Come on man, I have the manual but still haven't figured how to get that needle out of the ******* slide, AHHHHHH! You know what, last night at the one class that's boring the shiot out of me (intro, pass tools using their handles, everyone....) I was grabbing my glasses out of my locker and grabbed a rag, the rag had my lone slide w/needle still attached on top and plink, onto the ground it went. didn't even have to look at it to know the needle is bent! Now, more than ever, I need that needle out of the slide! Since I have to now replace the needle and the diaphragm! Woo hoo! The joys of learning!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SuperBlink
Come on man, I have the manual but still haven't figured how to get that needle out of the ******* slide, AHHHHHH! You know what, last night at the one class that's boring the shiot out of me (intro, pass tools using their handles, everyone....) I was grabbing my glasses out of my locker and grabbed a rag, the rag had my lone slide w/needle still attached on top and plink, onto the ground it went. didn't even have to look at it to know the needle is bent! Now, more than ever, I need that needle out of the slide! Since I have to now replace the needle and the diaphragm! Woo hoo! The joys of learning!
If you have stock needles, they are different for the front and the rear. So hopefully you know which one you need to replace.

As for pulling them out, it shows on page 5-10 of the factory service manual how to pull them out.