General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dirt Ridin!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Dirt Ridin!

So Ive got an old rm125 bored to 183 and this thing would smoke my hawk off the line. I bought it for $800 with a ton of mods done to it. My question is, do any of yall find yourself ridin your dirt machine more than your hawk. I love my hawk but find myself goin for the dirt bike more than tearin it up on the road. Its so much different in riding and just not caring about the rules of the road and when you get a big group it is just pure insanity! I mean its not to often I get to jump the hawk lol..
Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Why limit your self,, do both.
03' DRZ485 Mine
98' VTR1000 Mine
NOS 03' RM250 Mine
07' KX250 Ours
07' Ninja 650R Hers
05' CRF230 Hers
06' KX100 Sons
01'CR125 Sons

Street, Off Road, MX, and Super Moto.. Ride um all.
And to answer your question.. I live on the street, and stay away from speed antics and other stupid stuff because I have other outlets.. MX track, Trail, Hairscrambles, and the like, where I can ride as fast as I like. But it’s no replacement for going places on the superHawk.. Just more of the same in a different environment.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I still have a 1979 Honda XR500 that I bought new.I have to trailer it about 75 miles to the closest trails in southern ohio. It works great to dethatch my lawn. I got it out last week to show off in front of the 10 year old neighbor boys jumping their bikes on their ramps they built in the street. Now they think i'm the coolerst 58 yr old kid on the block. Dirt,woods riding is still my favorite riding. If there were more trails closer to me and I had to make a choice of only 1 type of riding it would the woods. I've enjoyed my Hawk for 65,000 smiles but I'd trade it in a minute for 65 smiles of trails and hills.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Superstock

Yeah, I understand both of ya. I def. dont have the money for TX's super massive collection, but that must be fun to have that many choices. There is just so much fun to be had on a dirt bike. I mostly go ride in southern Ohio also and some parts of southern Indiana. Seems that places to ride trails around me are getting harder to find though. Police try to patrol everything and you cant just go in the woods anymore and just ride without the fear of getting arrested.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I am primarily a motocross guy. My dad got me my first bike when I was four and I started racing at eight or nine. I didn't get into sport bikes until about four years ago when I was 20. I guess my passion for both is about equal now. I've been toying with the thought of getting into road racing but the funds aren't currently available to get the ball rolling.

The absence of rules while on dirt is a nice thing. You can actually ride the bike near it's potential without worrying about the law. One problem, however, is that I've got to trailer my MX bikes for at least an hour before there is anywhere to ride. If I'm not racing I'm usually at one of the many MN tracks for open practice. On the street I just open the garage door and go wherever I feel like going. Usually SW Wisconsin.

Current collection:
'98 SuperHawk
'07 YZ450f
'09 YZ125
Old 10-23-2009, 04:39 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I ride more street than dirt but its always fun to rip up the trails too...
Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Here's my dual sport bike, a 2002 Suzuki DR650. Has a SuperTrapp exhaust, 10.5:1 JE piston, ported/polished cylinder head and Web racing cam. Goes anywhere.

Name:  650e-1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Squid

dirt899 is on a distinguished road
I love both!! Loading up the yz in a couple of hours for some mx fun. BRAAAAP. Two strokes live on.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta YZ250. Love dirt more than street.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I guess a lot of us old timers got our start on dirt, circa "On Any Sunday". Great place to learn the ins and outs of riding and usually a lot softer to fall on dirt. How many of you still use the rear brake while going through a turn?
Storm Rider, great picture. Looks like a painting behind your bike.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
I guess a lot of us old timers got our start on dirt, circa "On Any Sunday". Great place to learn the ins and outs of riding and usually a lot softer to fall on dirt. How many of you still use the rear brake while going through a turn?
Thanks! Yes, I think there's a tendency among those who learned to ride in the dirt as I did to maybe under-use the front brake (either that or the front brake pads on my VTR were designed to never wear out as I still haven't changed these in 10 years / 56,000 miles of riding and there's still plenty of pad thickness remaining).

Off-road riding in the mountains, what a blast.

Name:  DR650ee.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  67.4 KB
Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
+1 that is a great picture!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
How many of you still use the rear brake while going through a turn?
It took me a long time to break the habit of using the rear brake all the time. There was even a few times when I almost put my leg out. Not my knee...my leg!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Going through a turn, just slide the rear tire into the curb stone then twist the throttle. Just like hooking up with a berm.

I still stick my leg out on some turns just to re-live the good old days.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Superstock

Yeah Ive been riding so much dirt lately, it is really screwing up my street technique. Throwing a foot out on the hawk is not a good idea I found out lol. My biggest complaint is the two stroke fouling out plugs all the time. I fowl out atleast 1 plug everytime I take it out. Anybody know what could cause this? There is also black greasy stuff comin from the exhaust. Is it running too rich or what??
Old 10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-dogg
My biggest complaint is the two stroke fouling out plugs all the time. I fowl out at least 1 plug everytime I take it out. Anybody know what could cause this? There is also black greasy stuff comin from the exhaust. Is it running too rich or what??
It's most likely that you're not buzzing the motor enough. My old RM125 (standard size) likes to be kept screaming.

Could be the oil, or the premix ratio you're running. Modern two-stroke oils for premix don't really need to be 33:1 (though that's what I run the TZs at), and manufacturers will suggest 50:1. Be aware that a higher ratio of oil in the premix will lean out the fuel supply. Use a good racing 2-stroke oil.

Other alternatives:

a. the pipe's full of spat-out oil (burn it with a gas flame from the outside, then repaint the pipe NB take the pipe off the bike to start with);

b. yes, it could be running too rich, maybe because someone over-jetted it for the increased displacement. The needle might need replacement with one with a different profile, as the mainjet might be OK;

c. the plugs you're running are too cold (UK terminology "hard" - dunno what you in the USA say) for the way you're riding it.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Superstock

Thanks! That really helped alot. Im almost positive that someone along the line put too big of a jet in the carb and why my plugs are black and shinney after an hour. Thanks again..
Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Squid

Hawkagain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-dogg
My biggest complaint is the two stroke fouling out plugs all the time. I fowl out atleast 1 plug everytime I take it out. Anybody know what could cause this? There is also black greasy stuff comin from the exhaust. Is it running too rich or what??
It could be a few of things:

1) cheap oil - pay a little more. I use to buy Yamalube R by the case. With that my 2-stroke plugs looked just like a 4-strokes. Even with mixtures as high as 16:1.

2) Run the manufacturer's recommend mix. Dirt bikes ~40:1.

3) Clean the air filter. Could be running rich because of that.