Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

"derestricted" CDI on eBay?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
"derestricted" CDI on eBay?

mikstr is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
bass4dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 258
bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd be skeptical without dyno #s posted. I know someone had one with an IDE hookup a little while back that enabled you to map your own settings, but one that's pre-programmed?

On our bikes I don't think there is a speed limiter, rev limiter, yes, but that's for the engines sake, nor does it make sense that there is a stock "horsepower limiter".

I would be intrigued to see their new timing curves and whether it matches closely to stock+factory pro advancer+ proper tps.

Now....... who on the forum has an in house dyno that they could examine this on that is particularly interested in electronics? =)


On another note, it is rather fishy that it says "Save more oil".... wtf?
bass4dude is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
  #3  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I really don't know but I would guess that it is a Chinese copy of a HRC box.
Then again, it is pretty hard to tell. Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 399
Size:  4.4 KB
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Belgium, WI
Posts: 1,611
autoteach is on a distinguished road
I am going to start purchasing brain boxes from the junk yard and slapping a sticker on, make ridiculous claims, and charge a mint.
autoteach is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,934
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah this is a chinese knock off. It would only make sense if it were way cheap like the bodywork from there. They should have this guy write for them.
Super slick bodywork
-causes high speed to rider
-lessens maximum air drag for greater amplitude
- releases speed at all motor capacities in air space
-very shiny for energy solar absorbtion speed
Those crazy chinese! Dont get me wrong, I love em, my wife is chinese.
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
  #6  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bass4dude View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd be skeptical without dyno #s posted. I know someone had one with an IDE hookup a little while back that enabled you to map your own settings, but one that's pre-programmed?

On our bikes I don't think there is a speed limiter, rev limiter, yes, but that's for the engines sake, nor does it make sense that there is a stock "horsepower limiter".

I would be intrigued to see their new timing curves and whether it matches closely to stock+factory pro advancer+ proper tps.

Now....... who on the forum has an in house dyno that they could examine this on that is particularly interested in electronics? =)


On another note, it is rather fishy that it says "Save more oil".... wtf?
Well you have to understand Chinese-English......

Things just come a crossed different at times in the translation.

Hell it took me a hour or so to figure out a "+ driver" was actually a phillips head driver one time.....but that is a different story.....

So some of the things listed are pretty generic for all the boxes they make and yes some bikes did come with a "speed limiter" and they just say it will work with any HP engine not that there is a HP limiter installed. On some Fuel injected bikes this might be an issue.

As for "Save more oil" I would take that as " Save more Gas" or "Increases MPG"

Now for your question, all I can say is that if it is a "reversed engineered" HRC box, it will give you better performance than just a static advancer.

So the only real question would be is it really a HRC copy?
and what is the quality of the ignition?
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
Mike,

what exactly is different about the HRC box?

cheers
mikstr is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
  #8  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
One thing I did notice is that the ad doesn't say what year(s) the ignition is for.

The HRC boxes only worked on the '98-'00 (or '97-'00 depending on what part of the world you are in....) model years. After that they changed the plug on the ECU.

So that is another question about this part....
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Stevebis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 805
Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Bet you anything this is not something special - As smoking Joe said this is just a knock off. I doubt it is a HRC knock off. If whoever made this expended the effort to secure a HRC ignition and then copy it they certainly would have said as much in the description.
As far as the HRC box is concerned, didn't Markus find one? I haven't searched, but I thought he was going to install it and report back...
Stevebis1 is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
  #10  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stevebis1 View Post
Bet you anything this is not something special - As smoking Joe said this is just a knock off. I doubt it is a HRC knock off. If whoever made this expended the effort to secure a HRC ignition and then copy it they certainly would have said as much in the description.
As far as the HRC box is concerned, didn't Markus find one? I haven't searched, but I thought he was going to install it and report back...
Well I can answer the HRC questions also. Though I don't have dyno numbers, just my observations.

With the 4 degree advancer, the bike pulls well and revs pretty quick. While the bike can still run on 87 with this set up it is happier with 89 which makes sense due to the fixed advance.

With the HRC box you loose the side stand safety circuit, so the bike will run with the side stand down, something to be careful about on a street bike.

Also the rev limit is changed. I have heard 2 different things on this but never personally tried it to find out. The most "reliable" source stated that the rev limiter was set at 11K. The second source stated that there is no rev limiter. though like I said I never tried it....

Now for how the bike runs. IMHO from around 4-6k both set ups are pretty close. Everywhere else the HRC unit pulls harder and revs a bit quicker. So the reprogrammed curves do work. Another way to see that you get more overall advance with the HRC unit is that the bike can run on 89 if you have to but you get the best performance with 92.

Now the 2 draw backs to the HRC box is that it is only for the first generation bikes ('97-'00) and they are not cheap if you do happen to find one.

Then again the 4 degree advancer is also only for the first generation bikes. It really doesn't work very well with the '01 and later ECU.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
  #11  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1 View Post
Bet you anything this is not something special - As smoking Joe said this is just a knock off. I doubt it is a HRC knock off. If whoever made this expended the effort to secure a HRC ignition and then copy it they certainly would have said as much in the description.
As far as the HRC box is concerned, didn't Markus find one? I haven't searched, but I thought he was going to install it and report back...
Yep, got one... But I'm now running a fully programmable box...

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
Well I can answer the HRC questions also. Though I don't have dyno numbers, just my observations.

With the 4 degree advancer, the bike pulls well and revs pretty quick. While the bike can still run on 87 with this set up it is happier with 89 which makes sense due to the fixed advance.

With the HRC box you loose the side stand safety circuit, so the bike will run with the side stand down, something to be careful about on a street bike.

Also the rev limit is changed. I have heard 2 different things on this but never personally tried it to find out. The most "reliable" source stated that the rev limiter was set at 11K. The second source stated that there is no rev limiter. though like I said I never tried it....

Now for how the bike runs. IMHO from around 4-6k both set ups are pretty close. Everywhere else the HRC unit pulls harder and revs a bit quicker. So the reprogrammed curves do work. Another way to see that you get more overall advance with the HRC unit is that the bike can run on 89 if you have to but you get the best performance with 92.

Now the 2 draw backs to the HRC box is that it is only for the first generation bikes ('97-'00) and they are not cheap if you do happen to find one.

Then again the 4 degree advancer is also only for the first generation bikes. It really doesn't work very well with the '01 and later ECU.


The only observation I can add... IF there is a revlimiter, it's not at 11k... I briefly hit 11.3k, but didn't dare keep going, and it didn't cut it there... Could very well be a revlimiter higher up, dunno where... But I'm to chickenshit to find out...

My programmable box has a hard limiter at 11k for now...

Last edited by Tweety; 09-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Tweety is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
  #12  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post

The only observation I can add... IF there is a revlimiter, it's not at 11k... I briefly hit 11.3k, but didn't dare keep going, and it didn't cut it there... Could very well be a revlimiter higher up, dunno where... But I'm to chickenshit to find out...
Ok well then that answers that question...... it is a "typical" HRC box with no rev limiter or "source #2"......lol Though I never got mine quite that high......

I guess they figure you might need that last 500RPM to make the pass out of the final corner and it's up to the rider to decide if the engine can take it.... and they are going to tear it down anyways so..... but not a great feature on a "street" bike.

That is why I stated both "facts" about the rev limit that I was given. Both "sources" were well placed so I didn't know which one to believe. So, with that information, I would have to believe that it has no rev limiter, which is actually typical for HRC racing ignitions. Though if some one wants to try to find out...... please post the info.......

Though I guess I'm getting old, as I tend to stay around 1K away from the stock 10.3K rev limit anymore, so it doesn't matter all that much to me either way.......
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
  #13  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Trust me, I'm not typically tooling around at those RPM's...

If there is a revlimiter on that HRC box, I'm not verifying it... I like my engine running, thank you... That was one of the reasons I swapped to the programmable box...
Tweety is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison Wisconsin
Posts: 639
Stumpy is on a distinguished road
So I guess my question is for Tweety what kind of box are you running and cost and such. Might be something that I need for my new engine rebuild that is slowly coming cash is tight but next summer is the finish date so could add that to the wishlist.
Thanks
Stumpy is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 AM
  #15  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
So I guess my question is for Tweety what kind of box are you running and cost and such. Might be something that I need for my new engine rebuild that is slowly coming cash is tight but next summer is the finish date so could add that to the wishlist.
Thanks
It's from here... IgniTech

Unless you are doing a full Stage 2 build, it's probably a waste of money outrigth though, the gains without extensive work on the rest of the engine isn't too great...
Tweety is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
How difficult would it be to buy the Programmable box from Ignitech and progam it with the HRC curve? Having looked at Ignitech's price list, their products (for VTR, from what I can tell, assuming, of course it it is the "SPARKER HONDA TCI" that is needed) seem quite affordable.

Last edited by mikstr; 09-11-2011 at 06:27 AM.
mikstr is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 AM
  #17  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Defenitely affordable... And defenitely not complicated to change the parameters, simply hook it to a PC... However, since I haven't got the HRC values, I more or less extrapolated from the stock numbers, testing on dyno... Trial and error...

I could give pointers, but doing it without access to a dyno would be rather time consuming...
Tweety is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
Do ytou think it would be possible to somehow extract the mapping from an HRC box and program an Ignitech box.

I am thinking group purchase here....... (given that the programmable boxes are listed at only 80 Euros.....). We could pay someone to do the actual programming and still come out at a decent price....
mikstr is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM
  #19  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well Rama had the guys at Ignitech get a map of the stock ignition and posted it here:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...52/#post268061

(it in post #10 if it doesn't link directly to it.....)

So it might be possible to do the same type of thing with a HRC unit.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
  #20  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Yes, in theory I could hook up a osciloscope to the HRC box on the dyno and extract the data... But that's a lot of hourss of datalogging, calculation and whatnot... I just couldn't be bothered doing that... So I started with the data that Rama posted up...
Tweety is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hondahawk
Technical Discussion
12
12-10-2014 01:27 PM
Little_Horse
Classifieds
1
09-09-2009 07:14 PM
Ogre8472
Classifieds
15
08-31-2007 01:06 PM
saxman
Group Rides
12
06-21-2007 05:11 PM
jamesvtr
Modifications - Performance
12
04-08-2007 12:29 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "derestricted" CDI on eBay?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands