Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Compatibility of 2008 CBR1000rr front end for swap

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
Compatibility of 2008 CBR1000rr front end for swap

I have the chance to pick up a complete front end off a 2008 1000rr, from wheel to clipons for a decent price from a buddy that wrecked and had liability insurance only, was wondering if anyone has tried the swap with this front end, I know the 04-07 models fit with no issues, but in 08, everything changed on that bike. Anyone have any ideas if it'll work????
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
All honda front ends are somewhat compatible. I have an 07rr on mine. It was shorter fork tubes but is great. If you wanna measure the 08 I can measure the 07 to check for difference. On the original hawk you could swap to any cbr front end up to present so I cant imagine they changed much. Swap to tapered bearings while you do it though
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's basically the same as with the 04-07 forks... Use 929/954 triples and figure out taller clip-ons, and use the rest of the fork from the CBR and it's basically just bolt on... The only difference is that you can't interchange parts with the other CBR 1000RR forks... (Some might work, but most won't)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

Tweety, I just used the whole RR setup (triples incl'd) just wondering why you suggest he buy another set of triples?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It's a conspiracy to help me sell the set I have sitting around......
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Back Marker

I'd really like to use all of the components if possible to avoid having the hassle of mixing and matching, but just by researching parts diagrams, i've found the following...
-steering stem bearings are different-08 uses the same bearing upper and lower, with a different p/n from 07.
-steering stem does look shorter between bearings in 08 and has no taper to it, i'm gonna measure the length of the headstock on the bike just to be sure.
-complete fork legs are totally different p/n's, and arent shaped the same.
-some fork internals are the same(seals, bushings,etc)
-seems like the wheel would work, same bearing and spacer p/n's
-upper triple is not gullwinged in 08, flat right across.
-brakes seem to be the same.
If I have to use 929/954 triples i will, or possibly 04-07 1000rr if they'll work. I'll need to pull the 08 front end apart and measure the i/d and o/d of the bearings and see if they'll work in the vtr. This is gonna be a project and I do want to make this work, because I cant beat the price(It's good to have cheap friends who think they'll never wreck and not get coverage) and I know that its in great shape(rear hit on bike) and low miles.
Any one else have any other info???
Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Tweety, I just used the whole RR setup (triples incl'd) just wondering why you suggest he buy another set of triples?
scooter72 just answered that question himself...

The 08 steering stem is different and won't fit... Using the triples from an 04-07 1000RR you get a top triple with ugly mounting points for the steering damper... Plus it's wide enough that you need to trim the fairings for it too fit...

The 929/954 triples fit without trimming fairings, are nicer looking and not that hard to find for decent prices... And yeah, you can just buy the one 8541hawk is selling pre-modded and ready to bolt-on if you like...

The wheel will fit and are interchangeable over the years, the brake rotors are not... They have different diameters over the three generations...

Basically you can (and I recommend it) use everything from the front end you have been offered except the triples and the clip-ons... Triples because the steering stem is wrong and the clip-ons because they will put your hands below the top edge of the fairings... Higher and preferably adjustable clip-ons are necessary...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

This is a picture of the 07RR top triples. Chicks seem to dig the look, & the upper fairing remains untouched. Just a 2 minute trim of the lower. Just giving you the option of choosing this way. Call all ***** bearings & tell them the 2 bikes & years & they will tell you exactly what you need for free (& sell it to you thereafter)
Attached Thumbnails Compatibility of 2008 CBR1000rr front end for swap-race-6.15.10-cieling-leak-120.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
This is a picture of the 07RR top triples. Chicks seem to dig the look, & the upper fairing remains untouched. Just a 2 minute trim of the lower. Just giving you the option of choosing this way. Call all ***** bearings & tell them the 2 bikes & years & they will tell you exactly what you need for free (& sell it to you thereafter)
Agreed, it works... But an 08 steering stem won't... So no matter what, he will need a new one... If he wants to get one from an 04-07 CBR that will work fine... All I'm saying is that all things being equal the 929/954's are probably cheaper and looks a bit nicer...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
MotoGP

BTW, this is how it looks with the other option in triples... Never mind the dash... That's an optional extra...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

Hey whats the story on that dash?? I know you have told it but it is nice. How do you find the spring rate on the CBR forks. I find it pretty stiffly sprung but the stock one was a slush bucket
Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 AM
MotoGP

It's from an 06 CBR 1000RR and what you need to hook it up and "work" is just part of the front wiring harness for the CBR... Then wire it up, wire by wire (I have posted the info/colors somewhere here)... Add a speedohealer to get it to show right, and all of it except the temp gauge works flawlessly... You can get that ballpark right with a bolt in sensor from an aftermarket manufacturer (I'm 2-4 C high) or cut new threads on the CBR sensor... Which I'm about to do...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Back Marker

I really like the look of that dash. Not a big fan of the stock gauges. I'm wondering if I can be able to use the cluster off that 08 and get it to work properly. I'm thinking now after looking everything over that I'm gonna go with 954 triples as you said Tweety, Just need to get a stock lower triple with bearings and I'm leaning towards using a Vortex billet upper triple instead of stock. There is no difference in fork width between the triples on a 954 vs 1000rr am I correct? I was meaning to ask you Tweety, what was involved with getting your rearsets to work? I'm thinking about trying to make brackets up on the milling machine, just wondering if you had any specs or diagrams I could go off for measurements.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scooter72
There is no difference in fork width between the triples on a 954 vs 1000rr am I correct?
There actually is a 3mm difference, but it doesn't matter. That works out to 1.5mm a side so your calipers pistons clamp 1.5mm off true center. (but they are self centering so they work fine)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn answered one..

The 08 CBR cluster should be the same in terms of functionality... Since Honda usually keeps the same colors on cables as well, you should even be able to use my diagram for the hookup (can't promise that though)... AFAIK there are one LED more for the alarm, but just ignore that one...

There is one downside with the never cluster though... The 08 CBR revs higher, so the redline is considerably higher up... That's even a change between the 04-05 and the 06-07 clusters, 04-05 is closest to the VTR's rev band... The stock ECU still cuts the ignition at the point of overrev, so nothing goes boom...

As for the brackets for the rearsets, I just measured of the stock parts and tested 2-3 times to get the rearset holes right (used CBR 1000RR bolt pattern)... I have all the dimensions on paper... I'll get around to making a drawing in a few days (you aren't the first to ask me...)

My brother is getting married tomorrow so I'm kind of running around like a headless chicken right now... But give it a few days...
Old 03-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Squid

Auron
Zombie thread alert!!

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the 1000RR guages?