Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Brake rotors

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Brake rotors

Looking into buying new wave rotors, since I smoked my rear with a stuck caliper.

I'm looking for an affordable set that's well made I don't want it to be toast in a year. I know EBC and galfer make good rotors but they are high priced. Wanted to see if anyone had tested and found a cheaper alternative that still holds up well.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Rear Galfer wave rotors can be had new for $105.. At that price.. I would not want any of the Chinese knock offs.

Fronts are the pricey ones for sure .. every time I get close to spending on them,, I think about doing at front end swap.. just for the bigger brakes available
Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM
SuperSport

I know, I thought about the swap, but much like you I just got my forks back from Jamie. So I'm going to wait a while to do the swap, and was probably just to the GSXR 6 pot swap when I need new front pads so I figured I would start looking into wave rotors and get some opinions.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sailorjerry
I know, I thought about the swap, but much like you I just got my forks back from Jamie. So I'm going to wait a while to do the swap, and was probably just to the GSXR 6 pot swap when I need new front pads so I figured I would start looking into wave rotors and get some opinions.
I ran the GSXR 6 post for a few years.. then tried F41 calipers, and liked them better
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM
SuperSport

Good to know.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I decided not to screw around with alternatives and just went with the EBC's.
I also have an F4i front end (and calipers), loaded with Galfer 1375's.

Might be a little hard to keep the pads warmed up on street rides, but on the track...this is certainly a fun combo
T1 brakes - BHF - 9/25/13 - YouTube
(passing on the brakes in T1 compilation vid - watch the last bike)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spoot
I decided not to screw around with alternatives and just went with the EBC's.
I also have an F4i front end (and calipers), loaded with Galfer 1375's.

Might be a little hard to keep the pads warmed up on street rides, but on the track...this is certainly a fun combo
T1 brakes - BHF - 9/25/13 - YouTube
(passing on the brakes in T1 compilation vid - watch the last bike)

my street setup is
Stock front end modified by hawk rider & fork brace
gsxr calipers and master
EBC contour rotors
Galfer 1375 Pads

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

The problem with brake threads and whats "BEST" is unless you have the experience to articulate the quantifiable results observed on many different set ups on a known course, same bike, each with the same prep prior... You only know if your set up leaves you wanting more, or if it works well enough.

I've only tried 8 front versions so far.
  1. OEM
  2. OEM except SS lines and HH pads
  3. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, HH pads
  4. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, GSXR 6 pot calipers, HH pads
  5. OEM except large bore RC51 master and SS lines, GSXR 6 pot calipers, HH pads
  6. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, HH pads
  7. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, Vesrah RJL pads
  8. OEM except large bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, Vesrah RJL pads

Of those I like #8 the best

And still....the brakes on my wifes 2007 Ninja 650R have better initial bite, and more grab all the way to lock up with better feel then my bike.
With it's lighter weight, bigger disks, lighter front wheel, lower center of gravity and different rake/weight bias it is not really comparable to my SH...

So I'll keep swapping parts.... to see if I can make my brakes better..

Next up is a 19mm radial master and new EBC disks.. I like my suspension too much to swap front ends for bigger brakes.

Rear brakes are good for me with OEM master and caliper... I do have a SS line and Galfer rotor.. EBC HH pads

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Rear Galfer wave rotors can be had new for $105.. At that price.. I would not want any of the Chinese knock offs.

Fronts are the pricey ones for sure .. every time I get close to spending on them,, I think about doing at front end swap.. just for the bigger brakes available
where is the VTR rear $105 new? im looking into getting one since my rear is toast after my locked up caliper fiasco
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 PM
SuperSport

And also if you don't mind Erik can you measure the thickness of your rear wave rotor?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jscobey
And also if you don't mind Erik can you measure the thickness of your rear wave rotor?
Measuring it just now..
5.06mm
I do not now what the original thickness was.
Min thickness allowed is 4.2mm
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Erik,

I have tried your options 1, 2, 3 & 6 plus let's call it option 6A (large bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, HH) and like option 6 better than 6A. Are the Vesrah pads your using the VD-166/2RJL?

PS, no rush, just curious about "my" flywheel...

The problem with brake threads and whats "BEST" is unless you have the experience to articulate the quantifiable results observed on many different set ups on a known course, same bike, each with the same prep prior... You only know if your set up leaves you wanting more, or if it works well enough.

I've only tried 8 front versions so far.
  1. OEM
  2. OEM except SS lines and HH pads
  3. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, HH pads
  4. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, GSXR 6 pot calipers, HH pads
  5. OEM except large bore RC51 master and SS lines, GSXR 6 pot calipers, HH pads
  6. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, HH pads
  7. OEM except small bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, Vesrah RJL pads
  8. OEM except large bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, Vesrah RJL pads

Of those I like #8 the best

And still....the brakes on my wifes 2007 Ninja 650R have better initial bite, and more grab all the way to lock up with better feel then my bike.
With it's lighter weight, bigger disks, lighter front wheel, lower center of gravity and different rake/weight bias it is not really comparable to my SH...

So I'll keep swapping parts.... to see if I can make my brakes better..

Next up is a 19mm radial master and new EBC disks.. I like my suspension too much to swap front ends for bigger brakes.

Rear brakes are good for me with OEM master and caliper... I do have a SS line and Galfer rotor.. EBC HH pads
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
SuperSport

Measuring it just now..
5.06mm
I do not now what the original thickness was.
Min thickness allowed is 4.2mm
Interesting. Thanks for measuring it. Found a used one on eBay that I scooped up for quite a discount from brand new. It's thickness is 4.92mm so that's not to bad.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Erik,

I have tried your options 1, 2, 3 & 6 plus let's call it option 6A (large bore RC51 master and SS lines, F4i 4 pot calipers, HH) and like option 6 better than 6A. Are the Vesrah pads your using the VD-166/2RJL?

PS, no rush, just curious about "my" flywheel...
Yes those are the pads Im running in the front.

and Your flywheel was done days ago,,,,,,, send me shipping info and it'll be on it's way.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 AM
SuperBike

I'm having trouble finding the vesrah VD-166/2RJ brake pads (the 2RJ pads are 8 mm vs 7 for the regular vesrah VD-166), and they are $18+ more than the comparable EBC's I'm running now (?)

PS I emailed you about the flywheel...

Yes those are the pads Im running in the front.

and Your flywheel was done days ago,,,,,,, send me shipping info and it'll be on it's way.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I'm having trouble finding the vesrah VD-166/2RJ brake pads (the 2RJ pads are 8 mm vs 7 for the regular vesrah VD-166), and they are $18+ more than the comparable EBC's I'm running now (?)

PS I emailed you about the flywheel...
kurveygirl.com - Dzus, Vesrah, Brembo, Spring Clips and More - Vesrah VD-166/2 RJL : CBR600F4 (01-04), CBR900RR (00-03), RC51

Pretty sure
Vesrah VD-166/2 RJL are the 7mm
Vesrah VD-166/RJL are the 8mm
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

where is the VTR rear $105 new? im looking into getting one since my rear is toast after my locked up caliper fiasco
Just noticed this Q..
I got mine from an amazon dealer
Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 PM
SuperBike

Are Vesrahs that much better than EBC HH+?

Kurvey Girl appears to sell 2 sets for $120 + shipping though I found them on Fleabay for $50 per set including shipping (the VD-166/2 RJL 8mm thickness).

My question is with the EBC sintered HH+ at $60 for 2 sets, are the Vesrah pads 100% better? Inquiring minds need a objective opinion.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Kurvey Girl appears to sell 2 sets for $120 + shipping though I found them on Fleabay for $50 per set including shipping (the VD-166/2 RJL 8mm thickness).

My question is with the EBC sintered HH at $60 for 2 sets, are the Vesrah pads 100% better? Inquiring minds need a objective opinion.
I don't remember paying THAT much more for them over EBC HH pads.. so my % better is more a ..
Yes I like them better for feel than EBC.

Not sure I WOULD pay a ton more $$ over EBC HH..... but if you find them at a good price, try the Vesrah

EDIT: So I found my invoice from 18 months ago.. I paid $55 a set, or $110 for both calipers

EDIT 2: Where are you finding EBC pads for $30 a set?

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-20-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
SuperBike

My local Honda stealer gives me 15% off and for some reason sold me 2 sets last year for $60 or so. Best I've seen EBCs for recently is $40/set shipped though. Have a set of new-used OEM front rotors (and a rear) I bead blasted last year to stick on but probably should rebuild the F4i calipers before, as I think they're dragging too much and probably have never been cracked open (hate those 12-point head fasteners they use though) and I shudder to think what new seals will run...

Do you have the correct seal set part numbers for the F4i calipers by any chance (as I'm not sure what year they are but figure they are the same seals for all years (no)?

I don't remember paying THAT much more for them over EBC HH pads.. so my % better is more a ..
Yes I like them better for feel than EBC.

Not sure I WOULD pay a ton more $$ over EBC HH..... but if you find them at a good price, try the Vesrah

EDIT: So I found my invoice from 18 months ago.. I paid $55 a set, or $110 for both calipers

EDIT 2: Where are you finding EBC pads for $30 a set?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM
SuperSport

just bought a set of EBC HH pads for both front calipers. $33 a set on bikebandit
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM
SuperBike

Nice find! Now what are the F4i caliper seal rebuild "kit" part numbers and where can we get them the cheapest???

just bought a set of EBC HH pads for both front calipers. $33 a set on bikebandit
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
SuperSport

Nice find! Now what are the F4i caliper seal rebuild "kit" part numbers and where can we get them the cheapest???
not sure where your located so i suggest finding a site thats close to you for the best shipping price and times.

a quick (very easy) google search shows they go for around $30-50.

ive never done a caliper rebuild so i cant say what a good kit is or where the best place to get it is.

if im buying something thats basically the same anywhere i get it from, i find the cheapest. if its something that needs to function properly (especially if my life depends on it.... like brakes) i try to find the best quality. ill spend a few extra bucks to get a better setup.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Do you have the correct seal set part numbers for the F4i calipers by any chance (as I'm not sure what year they are but figure they are the same seals for all years (no)?
As long as you're SURE they are 2001-2006 CBR600F4i calibers, and not CBR600F4 from other years.

06451-MCJ-405 SEAL SET, PISTON is the larger top piston seal set
45107-MCJ-006 PISTON A is the larger piston
06451-MBW-405 SEAL SET, PISTON is the smaller bottom piston
45117-MBW-E11 PISTON is the smaller piston