Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CBR Stick Coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dickard37
I'm really interested in doing this MOD but I really would like to see some pics posted as to how they look and how the wires were connected. If someone who has done this MOD and who does have some pics could you post them with a nice li'l write up....please and thank you

In the knowledge base
Titled Click ME>>> Coil on Cap MOD <<<Click ME

Or a search using
+coil +cap +mod
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=621336

Or +coil +mod
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=621338
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
In the knowledge base
Titled Click ME>>> Coil on Cap MOD <<<Click ME

Or a search using
+coil +cap +mod
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=621336

Or +coil +mod
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=621338
Thank you very much. Just what i was looking for
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Back Marker

Thank you very much. Just what i was looking for
Ok I did it! I converted to the stick coils!

Now I don't know how many of you have ever seen or heard a "raped ape" run, I know I havn't, so I'm just making an estimated guess here.......

I swapped out the old coils and put in the CBR 600 stick coils, fired her up took a ride. Now let me tell ya, if a "raped ape" runs anything like the way the hawk ran after the swap then they are DAMN fast and DAMN strong lmao. She ran so much smoother and actually seemed to have gained some power but without a dyno idk all I can say is that there was a definate improvement.

And just like the rest of the guys said the swap was VERY easy.
I love this forum hehe
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'm a god at resurrecting old threads. So... with the "stick" coils, I bypass the big bulky cylinder thing? I'm assuming that whatever it does is now in the plug part... And

I'm just making sure I got this right. I found the thread w/pics:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23004
It just seems too good to be true to not have to worry about cylinder mcgee and the ugliness that it brings.

My coils are shot so may as well do this mod while I'm at it...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I'm a god at resurrecting old threads. So... with the "stick" coils, I bypass the big bulky cylinder thing? I'm assuming that whatever it does is now in the plug part... And

I'm just making sure I got this right. I found the thread w/pics:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23004
It just seems too good to be true to not have to worry about cylinder mcgee and the ugliness that it brings.

My coils are shot so may as well do this mod while I'm at it...
You got it, eliminate the separate coil, save weight, etc.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Any estimate as to how much weight??
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
0.8 lb, as weighed on my digital scale.....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

Something to think about at some point. Saves me from having to diet
If all bikes experience a 2 HP increase like Tweety's, this mod would be cheap.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
Something to think about at some point. Saves me from having to diet
If all bikes experience a 2 HP increase like Tweety's, this mod would be cheap.
Mine was actually coming apart so I need replacing anyway... I'm assuming the older/more worn out they are, the better HP gains you'll see.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I would highly suggest doing this mod, it's quick, easy, and cost effective way to replace worn out coils/plug wires and restore some lost HP.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually pretty close, but not completely correct Eric... The CBR1000RR coils will fit, but they are longer and will be a PITA to get in there... And they will probably require you to seal a gap with some O-ring or electricians tape...

The CBR 600RR coils are the same electrically but a bit shorter and a nicer fit... Less work and no need to seal anything...
I found a set of 01-03 CBR 600F4I CBR600F4I IGNITION COILS (4) for a very reasonable price. To your knowledge, will the 01-03 coils fit?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I found a set of 01-03 CBR 600F4I CBR600F4I IGNITION COILS (4) for a very reasonable price. To your knowledge, will the 01-03 coils fit?
Potato, potato ? Or CBR 600RR, CBR 600F4i... Is that what you mean?

No difference really, just a few hundred parts that aren't the same, and about two dozen that are... Mostly washers, bolts, hoseclips and other miscellaneous... Something that takes me 30 seconds to find out, or merely verify since I have done it before researching other parts... Should be just as easily for you... Most of it can be done by searching Ron Ayers...

Now, how the *beepity beep* should I know if those fit? I specificly mentioned CBR 600RR, not the F4i, you quoted it, and it takes me 30 seconds to verify that the partno doesn't cross reference... Ie, I wouldn't know... I do however know about the CBR 1000RR and CBR 600RR as I have held both in my hand...

Now, I realise I'm kind of taking this out on you, and that it's not completely fair, since you are just one amongst many... But I do find it highly annoying that people around here have a serious problem with either reading and understanding what they read, or are too lazy to do a any smidgen of research on their own... Considering your normal grasp of the language, I doubt that's the problem, so the conclusion would then be that you are lazy...

Oh, BTW... If you want to make me really pissed of, try contradicting that...

However, since I'm not a complete *******, just easily annoyed, I'll give you some clues... Check the service manual for the electrical specs on the coils/ignition for the various bikes, including the sparkplugs and then crossreference the data... Then try to check actual images as best as possible... That should give you a good idea if it's probable that the coils will work...

Oh... And BTW 2... I apologise for the fact that you get to take the full blow of my annoyance, you aren't the real target, or merely partly the target... That do not however change the fact that I still think you where being lazy... Or the fact that I happen to like you, and your contribution on the forum... Cya...
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

No difference really, just a few hundred parts that aren't the same, and about two dozen that are... Mostly washers, bolts, hoseclips and other miscellaneous... Something that takes me 30 seconds to find out, or merely verify since I have done it before researching other parts... Should be just as easily for you... Most of it can be done by searching Ron Ayers...

Now, how the *beepity beep* should I know if those fit? I specificly mentioned CBR 600RR, not the F4i, you quoted it, and it takes me 30 seconds to verify that the partno doesn't cross reference... Ie, I wouldn't know... I do however know about the CBR 1000RR and CBR 600RR as I have held both in my hand...

Now, I realise I'm kind of taking this out on you, and that it's not completely fair, since you are just one amongst many... But I do find it highly annoying that people around here have a serious problem with either reading and understanding what they read, or are too lazy to do a any smidgen of research on their own... Considering your normal grasp of the language, I doubt that's the problem, so the conclusion would then be that you are lazy...

However, since I'm not a complete *******, just easily annoyed, I'll give you some clues... Check the service manual for the electrical specs on the coils/ignition for the various bikes, including the sparkplugs and then crossreference the data... Then try to check actual images as best as possible... That should give you a good idea if it's probable that the coils will work...

Oh... And BTW 2... I apologise for the fact that you get to take the full blow of my annoyance, you aren't the real target, or merely partly the target... That do not however change the fact that I still think you where being lazy... Or the fact that I happen to like you, and your contribution on the forum... Cya...
So the short answer is "not to my knowledge". Thanks and cya
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Sorry dont know I used CBR1000 coils and they worked GREAT.. NO CBR coil has the perferct fit for sealing to a VTR head... that I have seen,, so no mater what you'll need some modification.

Look up a few post and you'll see a link to my post on the topic.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Use the Part fiche. Are they the same part number? Then it will work.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Back Marker

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Sorry dont know I used CBR1000 coils and they worked GREAT.. NO CBR coil has the perferct fit for sealing to a VTR head... that I have seen,, so no mater what you'll need some modification.

Look up a few post and you'll see a link to my post on the topic.
I looked up your post. I though there might be a fit problem with the F4i coils similar, hence the question, but you made them work quite well. Very well done and thanks for the useful advice.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You know, I don't think you'll get a fight to watch... D VTR RIDER might not like me right now, judging by his short tone, but it doesn't seem like he wants to fight... And neither do I...

I just have fit's of bad temper, but I generally like him...
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
You know, I don't think you'll get a fight to watch... D VTR RIDER might not like me right now, judging by his short tone, but it doesn't seem like he wants to fight... And neither do I...

I just have fit's of bad temper, but I generally like him...

Gee, u genlike me too? Your Spock side lost out.

It can happen when your part Vulcan.

I find this intriguing

Like creating a cross-reference for DIC (Direct Ignition "Stick" Coils)

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/cata....php?part=igco

or finding cute sites like this

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...a_vtr1000f.htm