Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

any consensus re 2 into 1 exhaust setups?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Nemish's old 2-1...mine made under 100hp with DynoJet jets for a prior Jardine system. I have since modded a bit, and it seems stronger everywhere but no new dyno. I put a Jardine right only with the Jardine midpipe (which is 2", not the stocker). You can see from Greg's pics that the Mori cannister was welded onto a stock midpipe (which is smaller). ART made a nice looking 2-1 system, but it's HARD to find & expensive. I think it still made more power with 2-2 Jardines, and was slightly quieter.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lloydievtr
i also have a lightened flywheel that helps to
you keep sneakin those mods in on me yo sly fox you.......now I'm gonna have to do a teardown to find out the rest of the story.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
did i mention the modded air box and doc honda stacks and stick coils lol
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 AM
MotoGP

did i mention the modded air box and doc honda stacks and stick coils lol
you ought to be ashamed of yourself, you're incorrigible!

how loud is that bitch! A friend has offered me a Devil from a CBR and i was thinkin of a single, but once you cut the pipe, it's too late to go back. Actually, my present partial bafflectomy is the max i want sound wise but I may try it anyway. These cager Nascar wannabes around hear get pissed enough when I pass them now, so I don't know.

What I'd really like to do is an underneath muffler, but this may be impossible.

meantime, keep those confessions coming until we can get a somewhat legitimate signature on your storm.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
you ought to be ashamed of yourself, you're incorrigible!

how loud is that bitch! A friend has offered me a Devil from a CBR and i was thinkin of a single, but once you cut the pipe, it's too late to go back. Actually, my present partial bafflectomy is the max i want sound wise but I may try it anyway. These cager Nascar wannabes around hear get pissed enough when I pass them now, so I don't know.

What I'd really like to do is an underneath muffler, but this may be impossible.

meantime, keep those confessions coming until we can get a somewhat legitimate signature on your storm.
Nat,
I been contemplating on an under mount muffler for a while as well, had couple ideas I want to try, the problem with this set up is that you need to take into account many factors that may reduce the power output of the engine... plus there is no much room to play under the motor.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
Consensus is they look ugly and make your bike look like everyone else's. Isn't the two huge cans part of the appeal of the Hawk? Notice how the one-exhaust guys never take pictures of their bikes from the left? Cause they look like crap! :-)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

with my set up its a lot quieter below 5k than twin race cans but above that and at full throttle its much louder .
so its nice on the cruise but noisey when you want to play
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

Name:  234.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  165.6 KB
yes we do
Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM
MotoGP

with my set up its a lot quieter below 5k than twin race cans but above that and at full throttle its much louder .
so its nice on the cruise but noisey when you want to play
yeah, I figured it would be louder in the cager's window when i pass. Maybe I should mount it on the left side to reduce this?

Originally Posted by VtrInMtl
Consensus is they look ugly and make your bike look like everyone else's. Isn't the two huge cans part of the appeal of the Hawk? Notice how the one-exhaust guys never take pictures of their bikes from the left? Cause they look like crap! :-)
Ugly is not of enough of deterrent for me, it's more of function over form. Yeah, I would like it to look good too, but........ This underneath thing i believe started or maybe jump-started by Eric Buell and many emulated afterwards. i like the mass centralization idea and less weight.

Looks like crap is a matter of perspective, but I agree, generally single to us hawkers doesn't look as good unless it's centered undereseat. That symmetrical **** can make you dumb. The danger of this type of thinking is that looks become everything, while other often more critical considerations are subjectively diminished.

I would think that the reason one-exh guys never take pics, assuming that this is even true, is likely that are trying to show the pipe and not trying to hide ugly. Further, many of the nicest bikes today are single side.

Originally Posted by NHSH
Nat,
I been contemplating on an under mount muffler for a while as well, had couple ideas I want to try, the problem with this set up is that you need to take into account many factors that may reduce the power output of the engine... plus there is no much room to play under the motor.
ain't much room under there, and i ain't buildin no muffler, so underneath is beyond my present abilities, both technically and financially. If you build one I can afford, I may be your first customer.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

nath981 +1 and lloydievtr, your bike doe's look great on the left side, nice and clean
Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

nath981 +1 and lloydievtr, your bike doe's look great on the left side, nice and clean
thank you
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM
MotoGP

I started install of the Devil 2 into 1. Friend I did some work for gave me this, from a CBR I believe. I will find out later. I cut the OEM muffler as per the photo below and cut the Devil pipe as well to get it set up for welding and brace. I think this will be the approximate location. Once I get it welded on and braced, I'll cut off the midpipe and remove the other muffler.

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids096.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids098.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids099.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  103.2 KB
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

are you only using the standard right side exit pipe on the headers .
if you do and block the left up you will loose power as the engine wont be able to breath enough.
thats why i cut the rear section of and had a new link pipe made .
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 AM
MotoGP

are you only using the standard right side exit pipe on the headers .
if you do and block the left up you will loose power as the engine wont be able to breath enough.
thats why i cut the rear section of and had a new link pipe made .
Yeah, i planned on cutting the left side muffler exit pipe flush at the juncture and having the hole welded over. Seemed easiest and most logical.

I don't understand the difference, but I'll take your word for it till I get in there and see what you mean. But wait a minute.... takin your word may not be such a good idea based on your history of deception haha. What you've done is a lot neater, but how does it differ?

also, what metals are we dealing with here? OEM pipe? Devil pipe looks kind of yellowish? The welder will need to know what kinds of rods he needs I would guess. I tried to find this out online, but it seems Devil is out of business now acc to a pop up when you bring up their site.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

Yeah, i planned on cutting the left side muffler exit pipe flush at the juncture and having the hole welded over. Seemed easiest and most logical.

I don't understand the difference, but I'll take your word for it till I get in there and see what you mean. But wait a minute.... takin your word may not be such a good idea based on your history of deception haha. What you've done is a lot neater, but how does it differ?

also, what metals are we dealing with here? OEM pipe? Devil pipe looks kind of yellowish? The welder will need to know what kinds of rods he needs I would guess. I tried to find this out online, but it seems Devil is out of business now acc to a pop up when you bring up their site.
Nat,

The right side mid pipe is partially blocked at the junction, it is engineered this way with a purpose. If you keep the right side as is and just block the left pipe, you will loose significant power due to this.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
MotoGP

Nat,The right side mid pipe is partially blocked at the junction, it is engineered this way with a purpose. If you keep the right side as is and just block the left pipe, you will loose significant power due to this.
thanx Ruv....I was planning on cutting that out, but we're in the unknown zone at this point. Lloyd obviously had reason for a new Y pipe and maybe this was why? Regardless, there is no going back at this point since I cut the muffler pipe haha.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

i cut off the standard rear y pipe and had a new pipe made to fit straight onto the collector .you will be wanting a nice 2" pipe for the 2-1 .have a look at the pipe i posted . if you only use the rhs exit that pipe is less than that 1.5" i think , and its even less if you dont open it out .
standard exhaust headers are made from stainless steel .

here some pics i took wile doing the 2-1
Name:  4ee4892d.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  147.8 KB
Name:  b063f0f5.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  167.4 KB
Name:  3029d0ea.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  305.1 KB
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

thanks for the stainless steel info. Yes I would like to have a nice clean 2" pipe coming from the Y, whether I'll be able to get it done like that certainly possible if I can find the the right welder.

one thing i was wondering about was that your pipe does not appear to utilize the support attached to the footpeg. This would mean that the only support is the headers and the muffler support if accurate. Is this correct or am i missing something?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

runs good but keeps leaning to the left>>>>>WTF

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids100_zps77e5f954.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  87.5 KB

had to fab a brace since it didn't match up. Taped up the juncture till i can get it welded.

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids101_zps53343d35.jpg
Views: 2051
Size:  104.9 KB
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
SuperBike

Nat,
Looks great... I mean the right side lucky you have the kick stand in case the bike is too heavy on the left side.
See if you can slide the muffler a little forward down the clamp a bit when you going to the welder, tell him to cut a shorter link, just to get it look shorter then the tail, it will look even more sharp, just my personal opinion on the looks
Old 10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

thanks for the stainless steel info. Yes I would like to have a nice clean 2" pipe coming from the Y, whether I'll be able to get it done like that certainly possible if I can find the the right welder.

one thing i was wondering about was that your pipe does not appear to utilize the support attached to the footpeg. This would mean that the only support is the headers and the muffler support if accurate. Is this correct or am i missing something?
its light weight so the foot peg bracket is not needed . but i will be fitting one over this winter .
there's also the can hanger bracket , it holds the system well at the mo .
Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

Nat,
Looks great... I mean the right side lucky you have the kick stand in case the bike is too heavy on the left side.
See if you can slide the muffler a little forward down the clamp a bit when you going to the welder, tell him to cut a shorter link, just to get it look shorter then the tail, it will look even more sharp, just my personal opinion on the looks
Thanks. I like the looks too, and it sounds awesome. Yeah I can move it forward but i was diggin it equal with the tail light look. I always wanted a longer pipe...........I don't know, could be a Freudian thing. haha

its light weight so the foot peg bracket is not needed . but i will be fitting one over this winter .
there's also the can hanger bracket , it holds the system well at the mo .
I figured it was holding up for ya, but just seems like something in between would be stronger.

Anyway, I just took it for a an 80 mile spin with the asymmetrical muffler configuration and it runs better than ever. Wow what a difference. Didn't take it over 110 because you can see that my rear tire is not likely up to it, but noticeably stronger all the way through the rpm range........too bad this increased power is gonna disappear when i go single. Maybe i need to find another Devil for the left side.haha
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
MotoGP

Got the 2 into 1 completed. Pipe cut off and welded.

first impressions: love the lighter ***-end, noticeable improvement in quick transitions. Those freakin OEM pipes have cement in em. The sound is good, albeit much different........more like a machine gun than an automatic weapon. Quick pulses rather than the slower pulses of twin mufflers. Quick vibrations like if you made rapid da-da-da sound by vibrating your tongue. Weird.

Maybe it's that the Devil muffler was made for an in-line four. Not sure if there is a difference? Also not sure what it's off of........the number hand etched(pretty cool like an artists signature) on the backside of the muffler pipe is 116123/13/03 (in case anyone has access cause i think they are out of business?)Made In France. I should of got a pic of it when it was off. I'll try to find out what it came off of, but so far, no luck.

Performance wise, same good low end power, but noticeably slower accel at higher speeds in upper gears(ie, no third gear roll-on wheelies haha). I need to pull the plugs to see the color and will do this shortly. I have 48s for the carbs, but haven't needed to install them yet, so this is probably next.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

get it on the dyno and set it up .
also upload a finished pic
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

get it on the dyno and set it up .
also upload a finished pic
Dyno's gonna have to be my *** for now, mostly for financial and geographic considerations.
Temporarily added rubber washers to reduce vibration.........helped a little. Footpeg brace on old part of muffler is still rubber mounted also.

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids004-2.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids003-2.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids002-2.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids103.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
SuperBike

I see you used the existing right side pipe to the muffler, did you make sure to cut out the restriction on the right side split at the junction? If not, that would be one main cause to the loss of power mid to top end, kinda defeats the purpose if you leave it there....
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 AM
MotoGP

I see you used the existing right side pipe to the muffler, did you make sure to cut out the restriction on the right side split at the junction? If not, that would be one main cause to the loss of power mid to top end, kinda defeats the purpose if you leave it there....
yeah, cut it out, but i need to get in there with a file and smooth everything out. What I might do this winter is clean the inside pipe out by pulling a gas soaked rag through and then coat it with Por 15, a cheap ceramic coat of sorts.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

even with the standard rhs opened out its still more restrictive than standard .
for a 2-1 you need at least 2" outlet from the headers to get the gasses to flow .
and that will be why is worse up top .
looks a good job tho well done and welcome to the 2-1 club
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
MotoGP

even with the standard rhs opened out its still more restrictive than standard .
for a 2-1 you need at least 2" outlet from the headers to get the gasses to flow .
and that will be why is worse up top .
looks a good job tho well done and welcome to the 2-1 club

thanks, I'll be watchin the mail for my t-shirt and membership card. Just put "machine gun nath" on my shirt.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 PM
MotoGP

Update on the 2 into 1.

When i went to the single exhaust, a machine gun rapid pulse is how i attempted to characterize the feeling/sound, and it lacked punch in the higher rpm range compared to the previous dual OEM partial baffectomy pipes.

I've been wanting to do Hawk's carb mods for a while now, but it wasn't ever urgent since it always ran well. However, this all changed with the single exhaust mod. Low end torque good, but slower accel in the upper range. So last night and today, I did Hawk's carb mods to the tee, and sync, irid plugs, and cleaned previous homemade foam filter. I don't know how the foam filter and cut flap play into the equation, but it has worked for the last 20,000miles and seems to be satisfactory for the single pipe mod as well, at least with Hawk's carb set up.

Of course, With all these alteration, I had to, i mean it was necessary to, take it for a test run this evening depite a bald tire(i must be nuts) and near freezing temps(front tire slid on what i thought was wet, but no, black ice.... dumbass! 37deg at home turned into 32 up the mountain.....dah! Almost kissed the guardrail coming down off the back side of the mountain.

Oh well, made it , this time anyway, huh. Can't wait to put good tires on and go for a longer ride where i can really wring it out.

Name:  2005autocarNortonBlazegrandkids009-2.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  117.8 KB

Quick Reply: any consensus re 2 into 1 exhaust setups?