Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Squid

IAGeezer is on a distinguished road
Bump. Just looking for any additional information or updates!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IAGeezer
Bump. Just looking for any additional information or updates!
Been running the updated replacement 7000 Lumen LED from Cyclops for many months now on my personal bike.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb_p_169.html

Very much like it and no down side I can find.

I've installed 14 (16 with mine and my wifes bike) all of them working just fine no issues at all.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
that's a pretty glowing recommendation. 7000 lumens is up there
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
that's a pretty glowing recommendation. 7000 lumens is up there
If a product is **** people are quick to say that, and less common support why.

But you do not see may that say "Hey I used product X and it was exactly as advertised, installed quickly and is still working months later
Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i often give positive feedback on things or services. it feels good to let someone know when they did a good job
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I have an original 3800 Lumen Cyclops bulb. I had some connector issues with the driver unit, and they were pretty reasonable around the warranty, given I did not want to ship the bulb back to them. I have retrofitted a shroud to the bulb to reduce head-on glare, which the newer bulbs presumably now have.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:11 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Been running the updated replacement 7000 Lumen LED from Cyclops for many months now on my personal bike.

I've installed 14 (16 with mine and my wifes bike) all of them working just fine no issues at all.
I'm assuming that you didn't have any clearance issues with the fan at the back of the headlight housing and the faring stay.
Have been looking at these for a while now.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
I'm assuming that you didn't have any clearance issues with the fan at the back of the headlight housing and the faring stay.
Have been looking at these for a while now.
none what so ever.
The only issue you have to deal with is the rubber boot.
You can remove it
Modify it by just cutting and clearancing it

Make sure the boot does not restrict air flow and yet does the best it can to keep dust and moisture out.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
I have an original 3800 Lumen Cyclops bulb. I had some connector issues with the driver unit
What was the issue? what was the proximate cause of the issue?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Squid

Hope I did the Quote thing right...

Do recommend the 7000 over the 3800 unit? I do ride at night, in the rural areas of Iowa, and the Bi-Xenon retrofit is just not sufficient, as you have stated so well. I haven't seen anything about the color temp for these units, I would like to have then a bit "Warm" color-wise, 3400-4200, as opposed to unusable, overly-intense lights some were using in the last few years. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Website states color temp is 5500K.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
What was the issue? what was the proximate cause of the issue?
The fan would stop running, until I wiggled the connector. I tried tweaking the pins around but could not get a reliable connection. Cyclops sent me a new driver unit.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:15 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Hope I did the Quote thing right...

Do recommend the 7000 over the 3800 unit? I do ride at night, in the rural areas of Iowa, and the Bi-Xenon retrofit is just not sufficient, as you have stated so well. I haven't seen anything about the color temp for these units, I would like to have then a bit "Warm" color-wise, 3400-4200, as opposed to unusable, overly-intense lights some were using in the last few years. Hope this makes sense.
I'm working on a dual HID set up, but it is a long ways away..Until then, yes I use and like the 7000 Cyclops lights. at 5500k temp I do not find it "too white"

I just sent three bikes home to the same owner, DRZ462Sm, SV650, DL650, all with the 7000 LED in them, so thats 4 units...he loves them in all three bikes..
The only one that got only "better, but not hugely better" reviews was the DL650.. But that bike I had previously installed a headlight relay set up bringing full voltage to the halogen bulbs, and I was using a set of very pricey 80/100 H4 in it and so the "improvement" was not just more and better light, but at a lower temp, longer life, less degradation of that light, more robust bulb and less complicated install
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Squid

Thanks so much for your great reply. Looks like I'll be going LED on Emma and the wife's Seca II (It desperately needs upgrade). And install relays while I'm at it. Really appreciate your sharing knowledge and experience in this forum.

Cheers!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Thanks so much for your great reply. Looks like I'll be going LED on Emma and the wife's Seca II (It desperately needs upgrade). And install relays while I'm at it. Really appreciate your sharing knowledge and experience in this forum.

Cheers!
If you have 12v DC at the OEM headlight plug and are going to use an LED "bulb" don't add a relay system, it gets you nothing extra in light output with an LED over 12v, and adds complication, clutter and failure points.
If your getting less than 12V under all conditions engine running and have ruled out battery terminal, fuse terminals, ext corrosion issues, then do a relay.
The Panasonic EW/Matsushita 20 Amp Micro Relay and relay base are compact, robust and sealed.. Perfect fo motorcycle lighting relay set ups,,be it to a head light plug or Aux lights.

Get up here Motorcycle Relays, Panasonic, Mitsuba

As well as most any other motorcycle terminal and connector needs
Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Eric, (Lord of the Magic Flywheel) did you have to use a spacer to get the right beam spread as with the 3800? Cyclops included them with the 3800 kit, which came in handy. I too did a TRS HID retrofit. Love the amount of light but the cut-off in cornering was not to my liking. I even experimented with shutter mods. Got it close, but not quite. Went with the 7000 lm LED. I found the trick for the boot was to unsnap (1/8 turn bayonet fitting) the light from the fan, put it through the boot and put it back together. I popped the inner molded ring in the boot invers so as to clear the fan intake slots.So far 7k mi, no problems. Did I say I love my flywheel.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-09-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: corrected typo for poster, changing 17 to 7
Old 11-09-2017, 05:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I used the spacer on the 3800lm version But did not use it on the 7000lm version... I liked the output and pattern just fine without.

Yes dissembling the fan from housing lets you get the boot on without cutting.... my concern is it restricts airflow to the assembly......may or may not be an issue here in Texas Summer heat.

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Eric, (Lord of the Magic Flywheel) did you have to use a spacer to get the right beam spread as with the 3800? Cyclops included them with the 3800 kit, which came in handy. I too did a TRS HID retrofit. Love the amount of light but the cut-off in cornering was not to my liking. I even experimented with shutter mods. Got it close, but not quite. Went with the 7000 lm LED. I found the trick for the boot was to unsnap (1/8 turn bayonet fitting) the light from the fan, put it through the boot and put it back together. I popped the inner molded ring in the boot invers so as to clear the fan intake slots.So far 17k mi, no problems. Did I say I love my flywheel.