Will My Bike Catch Fire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Back Marker

nova_scotian_996 is on a distinguished road
Will My Bike Catch Fire?

OK,

Im a squid.
I recently purchased some 2 wire LED's for my SHawk. Ive had them hooked up so they are a running light in one configuration, and a signal light in another. THis isnt what I was hoping for....

I did some digging on the net and if I combine the wire for the signal (from the relay im assuming) and the wire for the running light (two blue or two orange depending if its on left or right side) to the first wire of the LED and connect the black wire from the LED to the green wire on the hawk I get running lights AND a signal light.

BUT.......

My signal display arrows on my instrument panel are permanatly lit now, but still blink when I turn on the indicators, and the orange LED's in my undertail are constantly on until I use my indicators (then the blink)

If this is not a fire risk (no fuses are blown) I will see how much the indicators drive me nuts always being on and I might just leave it....

Does everyone who has LED's Lose their running lights?

Looking for thoughts and advice....

I disconnected my battery until im confident all is well.......
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
Are your lights for the front or rear? I have flush mount LEDs on the front they came with 3 wires one for ground, one constant hot (running light) and one for the signal. If you only have 2 wires I think those are for the rear or if you don't want to run a running light. I have standard rear turn lights that only have 2 wires 1 for ground and 1 for the signal. on my front i used the dimmer LED for the running light and the Brighter for the turn light. The reason you have your turn indicators on all the time is because you joined the two wires together.

Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Back Marker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

These are the ones I got here.....i assumed it would be a wire for wire install....
Old 03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The rear running light is the brake light in the center. When I decided to go with LED's for signals I used the wires and the holes from the stock signals. These were signals only not like the fronts that do both. Once I mocked this up I didn't like how dark the bike was from the rear (it always was - I just never noticed until I started shortening the fender and pulled the plate light off) so I decided to wire up the old signals, mount them under the seat giving the rear tire adequate clearance. It looks kinda stupid but it's just a stock undertail and junk lights anyway so WTF!

I got running lites but they were WAY to bright for riders behind me. I solved this by getting the lowest wattage bulb to replace the stocks and they were still too dam bright.

I thought about carving up an old smoke helmet lense but that looked like a lot of work with a Dremel so I took a roll of masking tape (yeah, just the cheap ****) and applied two layers on the inside of the lenses. We now stupid looks funky and stupid but at night nobody can see it's tape and the light level it cool as it bounces off the cans, tire and swingarm.

You can just barely see the new LED signals (because they're not lit) but this is kinda the layout.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Back Marker

got em done......had to part with the running lights....might get integrated signals in a set of mirrors so I can have my running lights back....
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Get the VFX kit. It works great and will be much less a PITA to install.