General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

my hawk pipe caught fire. almost lost the bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
my hawk pipe caught fire. almost lost the bike

typing this with an injured hand

riding home from work, i get to the last stoplight. the entire day my temps were running a little hotter for some reason? I recently went back to stock needles with 2 washer shim, stock filter, high mount pipes. 48 pilots, 1 turn out.

anyway, stoplight hits, i see a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig smoke cloud. thought i blew a headgasket or rings. i ride to the hill, i see flickers on the ground from fire. i immediately dismount, look at the flames, try to put out with my gloves. nada. some passer bys saw and didnt even stop!!! asshats

so ****. i toss my gloves back on and haul *** back to my house. blew 3 stop signs and see **** flying out as im riding. get home, pipe still on fire. I hop over a fence to my hose, crank that **** on, douse my pipes. took about 10 secs for the fire to extinguish. i notice my right hand is burned on my finger a bit - i go to check out the bike again.

apparently the packing got so hot it burned through the f-ing pipe?!? i packed with coarse steel wool and fiberglassed over that. dunno why my temps were hotter, thinking bc of rejet? and maybe it was running lean. EGTs may have been through the roof and that's what set the packing on fire. anyway, undertail is slightly melted, fairing was charred but alright. right pipe is fucked. left pipes okay. i still am screwed though

gottabuy new pipes. high mounts. BLAH. not enough money. i need cheapo high mounts, or someone who sells canister shells. anyone know!?!?!?

burned my finger a good bit. its blistering now. fack

guess i gotta go back to driving the car. 22 mpg. bleeeeehh

pics to come \soon
Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Holy ****
Not sure what type of fiberglass you used in there but damn, I hope you got a good laugh out of it at least since rou ran like you had fire up your ***
I laughed hard minutes after the initial shock of blowing my ZX-6 engine at 200 km/h, it went down in flames , but hey for what it cost, better at least get a good laugh.
Sorry for your finger tough
Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
hey take a piece of steel wool and strech it then use alighter on it. You then will have your answer .... backfire or rouge spark buddy....personally i would not put steel wool in for packing but to each his own
Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Back Marker

scarface is on a distinguished road
not that this is a funny situation, because Im glad you and the hawk are ok... but as I read this is what I pictured...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
yeah, you have to use stainless steel wool, not the regular stuff. Funny story though.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
Man,
I am sorry about your bad luck. I don't think it's funny, but I'm glad you are ok.

This will give you the oppertunity to rebuild just what you want. I wish you luck!

Jim
Old 09-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Superstock

LOL

i kinda see this as fate

a guy I know just died on a bike
this should keep me off the bike for a while until I source new pipes

but yeah, F steel wool
fiberglass all the way

in hindsight, it was pretty funny
Old 09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I had this happen but not NEAR as bad.

I had a 4-1 on my suzuki bandit 1200S that didn't fit quite right at the can. After many of miles on a group ride, the bikes behind me could see white hot flames in the muffler. I had a leak in that front joint "fueling" the afterburning in the muffler. By the time I made it home, the inner core had vaporized, much of the packing was ash, and the exterior was badly discolored; all of which combined equaled a new exhaust.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Damn Anto I'm sorry to hear this.

Gald you are OK.

But I gotta say, your story (not really what happend but more the way you told it) + the posts following had me rolling. Too funny

Again glad you're ok. sorry to hear about the bike and incident.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Can you imagine the look on grandma and grandpa's faces as they enter the intersection having just enjoyed a peaceful afternoon drive in their Lncoln Towncar when some maniac biker blows through the stop sign at 190K with eight foot flames erupting from the back of his bike!!!!!!!!

That's frickin awesome!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
too bad it wasnt controlled, then you could set up a form of remote spray can with gas in it and blast by innocent bystanders shooting big *** flames out of your pipes. haha! that things you could accomplish!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Superstock

LOL. yeah amazingly my hand has healed verrry quickly, its pretty much good right now. burns usually take a week or so to heal, i cleaned it daily and applied hydrocortizone with aloe, then wrapped it with a bandage. it healed in 2 days!!

as for the pipe situation i think i found a solution. i bought some .025 aluminum sheeting, gonna trace, cut and shape it to an oval. going to run some steel wool and/or sandpaper over it, to clean and give it a nice brushed look, then repack and rivet that bitch in!! only thing that sucks is that i need 37.5 x 40.5cm for one pipe, and it costs 24 a sheet. expensive, but cheap when you consider the cost of oem replacement.

i think i will go stainless steel wool this time, fiberglass blows out too quickly and is somewhat pricey to keep replacing. gotta fix my jetting this time, LOL