Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

VFR tank mod in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Originally Posted by Syclone
+1

You have 929 front-end and RC51 wheels - Did you have to get custom-sized bearings to run those wheels?
Thanks! They made a big difference in the handling too. Yup, bearings were needed, but it was incredibly simple. Parts and everything needed are all in this thread here:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ht=hl02&page=2
Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Squid

apex459 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdbuehler
To drop it straight on, I'd have to run without the top. I've heard several people say that won't work, but I've yet to hear what happens when you do (minor flat spot, or horribly unrideable, or just no gain?). When the rain goes away, I'll head out with the stock tank sans the airbox cover and see exactly what the story is.

If it runs OK with no top, this is really, really easy. I'm going with the assumption there's a problem if you don't, and will modify the box top (cutting away points of contact with the tank) then put compressable foam insulation on the underside of the tank in those areas so it will seal it back up and become part of the top when its fitted. This will alter the shape of the airbox top a little, but shouldn't be too extreme and I'm guessing the old girl will hardly notice
Dude, thats ******* genious. I'm lookin into doin the same. Tired of the frequent fuel stops.....
Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Still running this setup, and its worked great so far! Words can't describe how much more enjoyable the commute is not stopping every other day, or getting all the way to my parents house from here without worrying about runnning out in BFE nowhere if I miss the only Shell station in the toolies
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
i am going to try this mod. soon. i am looking for a good tank right now that won't brake the bank...

as for the airbox, anyone try covering the bottom of the tank with petroleum jelly and heating the airbox lid with a heat gun and setting the tank down on it till it cools? if it is already close then it should not matter as far are air space in the box.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I’m resurrecting this thread because I just did the mod. I did two things differently than mdbuehler.

First, I had a shop cut a plate around the old petcock off of a junk VTR tank I had laying around and directly weld it over the VFR’s fuel pump hole. I could have dicked all year with that and it still wouldn’t work.

Then instead of building the air box down from the tank, I built it up from the filter. I just didn’t trust that I’d get the measurements correct.

So now I can go the herculean 160 miles from my home to my job in one tank – I go in one day a month now – but everything isn’t rosy. I do have a weird flat spot down low.

I initially thought this might be due to rust in the tank. I got the VFR tank for $5 then had to cream it and although I think I got everything, you never know. I am running filters right now, of course.

But I’m starting to suspect that either the insulating air box isn’t quite sealing OR I’m getting these weird effects because I installed a lid that didn’t have a snorkel. I had at one time four or five boxes and I didn’t want to trim out one of the good ones for this experiment. But it seems like folks have issues when they take the snorkles out and don't do anything else.

So I’m going to try the snorkel next week and see how it works. If it IS that, this is a silly easy mod costing around $200 from beginning to end, if you don’t mind a shop destroying your VTR tank. I love the bike about 30% more now.

Next is the front-end mod…

CR
Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crashrat
I’m resurrecting this thread because I just did the mod. I did two things differently than mdbuehler.

First, I had a shop cut a plate around the old petcock off of a junk VTR tank I had laying around and directly weld it over the VFR’s fuel pump hole. I could have dicked all year with that and it still wouldn’t work.

Then instead of building the air box down from the tank, I built it up from the filter. I just didn’t trust that I’d get the measurements correct.

So now I can go the herculean 160 miles from my home to my job in one tank – I go in one day a month now – but everything isn’t rosy. I do have a weird flat spot down low.

I initially thought this might be due to rust in the tank. I got the VFR tank for $5 then had to cream it and although I think I got everything, you never know. I am running filters right now, of course.

But I’m starting to suspect that either the insulating air box isn’t quite sealing OR I’m getting these weird effects because I installed a lid that didn’t have a snorkel. I had at one time four or five boxes and I didn’t want to trim out one of the good ones for this experiment. But it seems like folks have issues when they take the snorkles out and don't do anything else.

So I’m going to try the snorkel next week and see how it works. If it IS that, this is a silly easy mod costing around $200 from beginning to end, if you don’t mind a shop destroying your VTR tank. I love the bike about 30% more now.

Next is the front-end mod…

CR

pics or it didnt happen lol
Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 PM
SuperSport

What a sad, cynical world we live in!

I’ll post tomorrow. It looks AMAZING, especially with the Bagster tank bra.

I didn’t take pictures of the masterpiece of an air box so you’ll have to use your imagination. Or wait until I reinstall the snorkel next week.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

Here are some pictures. The gap between the tank and the seat doesn't bother me at all...

The oil spots aren't mine! Really!

CR
Attached Thumbnails VFR tank mod in progress-super1.jpg   VFR tank mod in progress-super2.jpg   VFR tank mod in progress-super3.jpg   VFR tank mod in progress-sh1.jpg   VFR tank mod in progress-sh2.jpg  

Last edited by Crashrat; 09-05-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Pictures not showing up
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
the pics didnt show.might have to edit.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 AM
SuperSport

Weird. I was hosting on one of my sites at the size I usually post. When I tried to click to the HTML on the editor what I got wasn't good code. I just attached some pictures...

CR
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Squid

stesrg is on a distinguished road
Hi all just looking over this thread , I have a 2001 VFR tank and need to do this great mod however I cant get the photos on this thred !! has anyone got these to re post or send me , I would be greatfull I am a fabricator seem to have done the pet **** so far the airbox photos would be great

Thanks Ste ,
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Seems some of the pics are no longer available. Try this thread?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...vfr-tank-6983/
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Squid

stesrg is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that just done the petcock if anyone wants me to post pictures of my mod please feel free to ask , I have done the petcock in stainless 5mm looks the dogs , also I have got the vfr fuel guage sensor anyone thought of retro fitting a propper guage ? As i have sorced a white face honda marine clock I thought this would fit nicely in the faring ?? your thoughts

Ste .
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Yeah post the pics as I may be doing this shortly. Is there any reason no one is using the 94-97 carbureted VFR tank and instead going with the fuel injected ones? Seems like gonig with the carbureted tank would save a step or have I missed something?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tebs
Yeah post the pics as I may be doing this shortly. Is there any reason no one is using the 94-97 carbureted VFR tank and instead going with the fuel injected ones? Seems like gonig with the carbureted tank would save a step or have I missed something?
Well... The look and shape of the tank perhaps? It's not nearly the shape that fit's the VTR's frame...