Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Some paint questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Some paint questions...

I am in the process of getting some used fairings for my bike since those on it are in pretty rough shape. Planning on painting in April before the season. I am thinking flat white, even though I hear it shows the flaws quite well. I have always liked white in general, but flat white is different which I like.

My question is what is a good way to achieve a flat white surface that "POPS?" My bike is flat black right now, and it didn't turn out like the other flat blacks Ive seen. It just looks dull. So could I achieve a "bright" flat white with a white base-coat? I didn't use a base coat when I painted it flat black. I plan on using a flat clear coat also for protection. Does anyone have pics of a flat-white SH? I searched but could only find pearl white.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
something like this?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

^Yep

How'd the paint job come out on that? Any tips?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
haha if you're looking for a flat white that pops you'de love to see my bike. trust me the pics do no justice. it's VW cool white with a flat clear over it called flex-a-flat.
Attached Thumbnails Some paint questions...-dscn0242.jpg   Some paint questions...-dscn0233.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
it was like that when i bought it. i got it from a member on here, hotbrakes, might try pm'ing him. although the paint did start showing wear from tail bags and such. i got it sanded down now and when its warmer i'm gona repaint it.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nothing
haha if you're looking for a flat white that pops you'de love to see my bike. trust me the pics do no justice. it's VW cool white with a flat clear over it called flex-a-flat.
thats exactly what Im looking for, thanks man. Where'd you purchase the paint? A vw dealer or just an auto parts dealer? Also, no base coat I presume?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

my friend works at a body shop, so I painted it there. he swung me some left over VW paint and I went to the local paint supplier (don kennett paint) to get the flat clear. my bike was red, scuffed it all up, took of honda wings on the tank, used some typical auto primer, then 3 coats of the vw cool white, and then 2 coats of flat clear.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Back Marker

cool, I'll have to see if I can find that color anywhere.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Back Marker

anyone have any recommendations of websites to purchase paint?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
forget the websites. Find the color you like, go to a local sherwin williams or similar paint store and get them to mix it for you.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Ya, thats what I was thinking... Hopefully they have flat clear also.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Squid

jason54 is on a distinguished road
hi
custom bike paint is what I do so I can help If this doesnt tell you what you want to know just ask me more if you wish look @ pics of my bike its not one of our show bikes but better than most daily riden. The cear can be flat or shine a flat clear will give an old dull look no matter what the base is so you want a non pearl matte white with normal clear we use
dull clear but only with air brush effects or trust me you will not like it.
If you want more info let me know
Attached Thumbnails Some paint questions...-busa-8.jpg   Some paint questions...-busa-5.jpg   Some paint questions...-hpim0950.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Back Marker

Thanks. So what are you saying, to stick to a normal clear? I was thinking that, but don't want to have to wet-sand it for days to make it look good.. which is why I was thinking flat clear. Do you have any pics of white bikes?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Squid

4bangeranger is on a distinguished road
i use to paint bikes when i was out of work.. just some side money.. as for the flat white house of kolor has some really cool flat paints.. just kinda price diffrence. i would go to a paint store and u tell them what u want and they bring out samples to look at. keep looking till u find it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jason54
hi
custom bike paint is what I do

No kidding! That's what I call paint. I'm not sure it has any place on a Superhawk but the skill of accomplished motorcycle painters is seriously overlooked. So is the cocktail of primers, undercoats, color coats and clear coats that custom painters use. "Go to the paint store". . . yeah right.

Nice of you to offer.

Originally Posted by 4bangeranger
i use to paint bikes when i was out of work.. just some side money.. as for the flat white house of kolor has some really cool flat paints.. just kinda price diffrence. i would go to a paint store and u tell them what u want and they bring out samples to look at. keep looking till u find it.
There's nothing wrong with this approach to a new color on a "new to me bike". The bikes flex so much it will crack up after a while. Quicker if you are in the Northern climates. Then you get to do it again.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jason54
hi
custom bike paint is what I do so I can help If this doesnt tell you what you want to know just ask me more if you wish look @ pics of my bike its not one of our show bikes but better than most daily riden. The cear can be flat or shine a flat clear will give an old dull look no matter what the base is so you want a non pearl matte white with normal clear we use
dull clear but only with air brush effects or trust me you will not like it.
dare I go here? I'm going to have to disagree with you () a flat clear does not give an old dull look no matter what the base it. my bike sparkles in the sun and even in the garage with artificial light. I wish my pictures did justice so you could understand and not throw off the OP. here's another full pic ( a cloudy day!), I really wish you could understand the color better. the sparkle is from a light pearl added in 1 coat under the flat.
Attached Thumbnails Some paint questions...-dscn0205.jpg  

Last edited by nothing; 02-10-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Back Marker

^ Thats sick!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM
MotoGP

White Pearl is what Hawkrider painted his latest incarnation. You're right - it's not a flat. Is it like a factory finish? - especially in silver? - no way. Is it bright in the sun-light highlights? - yes - it's not blinding like the sun off my tank on my Superhawk.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by swaptrex
^ Thats sick!
thanks man
Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Squid

4bangeranger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Nice of you to offer.

There's nothing wrong with this approach to a new color on a "new to me bike". The bikes flex so much it will crack up after a while. Quicker if you are in the Northern climates. Then you get to do it again.
i have never had cracking problems in florida. lol it is not the north tho.. good info to know, thanks.. i dont think u shoud have cracking if you have a good prep. a good 2k primer and not filling heavy grit scratches with primer. making sure you sand everywhere should last a few years.. just what i think i could be wrong..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
flat colors and primer hide flaws...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 4bangeranger
just what i think i could be wrong..
No, I think you're exactly correct. The thing that surprised me was the primers these guys were using. The first primer was different than the second primer. It was a whole new game for me.

I've been painting hotrods since I was 16yo. Gotta admit - red-oxide primer doesn't take much talent. One of the oldtimers in the shop used to say, "You think you're ready for paint? Go paint it. You'll sand it again until you get it right."

There is no way to fill defects with more paint - regardless of the coats.

Sand, sand, sand!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
I LIKE YOUR BIKE NOTHING,& A VERY NICE COLOR !
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2
I LIKE YOUR BIKE NOTHING,& A VERY NICE COLOR !
oh thank you so much no i appreciate it a lot of man hours went into it thanks a bunch