SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Some paint questions... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/some-paint-questions-21436/)

swaptrex 01-31-2010 02:34 PM

Some paint questions...

I am in the process of getting some used fairings for my bike since those on it are in pretty rough shape. Planning on painting in April before the season. I am thinking flat white, even though I hear it shows the flaws quite well. I have always liked white in general, but flat white is different which I like.

My question is what is a good way to achieve a flat white surface that "POPS?" My bike is flat black right now, and it didn't turn out like the other flat blacks Ive seen. It just looks dull. So could I achieve a "bright" flat white with a white base-coat? I didn't use a base coat when I painted it flat black. I plan on using a flat clear coat also for protection. Does anyone have pics of a flat-white SH? I searched but could only find pearl white.

jay956 01-31-2010 07:25 PM

something like this?

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs114...._2923570_n.jpg

swaptrex 02-01-2010 02:43 PM

^Yep ;)

How'd the paint job come out on that? Any tips?

nothing 02-01-2010 02:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
haha if you're looking for a flat white that pops you'de love to see my bike. trust me the pics do no justice. it's VW cool white with a flat clear over it called flex-a-flat.

jay956 02-01-2010 02:50 PM

it was like that when i bought it. i got it from a member on here, hotbrakes, might try pm'ing him. although the paint did start showing wear from tail bags and such. i got it sanded down now and when its warmer i'm gona repaint it.

swaptrex 02-01-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 252480)
haha if you're looking for a flat white that pops you'de love to see my bike. trust me the pics do no justice. it's VW cool white with a flat clear over it called flex-a-flat.

thats exactly what Im looking for, thanks man. Where'd you purchase the paint? A vw dealer or just an auto parts dealer? Also, no base coat I presume?

nothing 02-01-2010 07:31 PM

my friend works at a body shop, so I painted it there. he swung me some left over VW paint and I went to the local paint supplier (don kennett paint) to get the flat clear. my bike was red, scuffed it all up, took of honda wings on the tank, used some typical auto primer, then 3 coats of the vw cool white, and then 2 coats of flat clear.

swaptrex 02-02-2010 02:59 PM

cool, I'll have to see if I can find that color anywhere.

swaptrex 02-07-2010 12:24 PM

anyone have any recommendations of websites to purchase paint?

Erik S. 02-07-2010 01:46 PM

forget the websites. Find the color you like, go to a local sherwin williams or similar paint store and get them to mix it for you.

swaptrex 02-08-2010 01:32 PM

Ya, thats what I was thinking... Hopefully they have flat clear also.

jason54 02-08-2010 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
hi
custom bike paint is what I do so I can help If this doesnt tell you what you want to know just ask me more if you wish look @ pics of my bike its not one of our show bikes but better than most daily riden. The cear can be flat or shine a flat clear will give an old dull look no matter what the base is so you want a non pearl matte white with normal clear we use
dull clear but only with air brush effects or trust me you will not like it.
If you want more info let me know

swaptrex 02-09-2010 01:24 PM

Thanks. So what are you saying, to stick to a normal clear? I was thinking that, but don't want to have to wet-sand it for days to make it look good.. which is why I was thinking flat clear. Do you have any pics of white bikes?

4bangeranger 02-09-2010 02:48 PM

i use to paint bikes when i was out of work.. just some side money.. as for the flat white house of kolor has some really cool flat paints.. just kinda price diffrence. i would go to a paint store and u tell them what u want and they bring out samples to look at. keep looking till u find it.

nuhawk 02-09-2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jason54 (Post 253322)
hi
custom bike paint is what I do

No kidding! That's what I call paint. I'm not sure it has any place on a Superhawk but the skill of accomplished motorcycle painters is seriously overlooked. So is the cocktail of primers, undercoats, color coats and clear coats that custom painters use. "Go to the paint store". . . yeah right.

Nice of you to offer.

Originally Posted by 4bangeranger (Post 253427)
i use to paint bikes when i was out of work.. just some side money.. as for the flat white house of kolor has some really cool flat paints.. just kinda price diffrence. i would go to a paint store and u tell them what u want and they bring out samples to look at. keep looking till u find it.

There's nothing wrong with this approach to a new color on a "new to me bike". The bikes flex so much it will crack up after a while. Quicker if you are in the Northern climates. Then you get to do it again.

nothing 02-10-2010 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jason54 (Post 253322)
hi
custom bike paint is what I do so I can help If this doesnt tell you what you want to know just ask me more if you wish look @ pics of my bike its not one of our show bikes but better than most daily riden. The cear can be flat or shine a flat clear will give an old dull look no matter what the base is so you want a non pearl matte white with normal clear we use
dull clear but only with air brush effects or trust me you will not like it.

dare I go here? I'm going to have to disagree with you (:confused:) a flat clear does not give an old dull look no matter what the base it. my bike sparkles in the sun and even in the garage with artificial light. I wish my pictures did justice so you could understand and not throw off the OP. here's another full pic ( a cloudy day!), I really wish you could understand the color better. the sparkle is from a light pearl added in 1 coat under the flat.

swaptrex 02-10-2010 03:49 PM

^ Thats sick!

nuhawk 02-10-2010 03:55 PM

White Pearl is what Hawkrider painted his latest incarnation. You're right - it's not a flat. Is it like a factory finish? - especially in silver? - no way. Is it bright in the sun-light highlights? - yes - it's not blinding like the sun off my tank on my Superhawk.

nothing 02-11-2010 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by swaptrex (Post 253561)
^ Thats sick!

thanks man :cool:

4bangeranger 02-11-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 253451)
Nice of you to offer.

There's nothing wrong with this approach to a new color on a "new to me bike". The bikes flex so much it will crack up after a while. Quicker if you are in the Northern climates. Then you get to do it again.

i have never had cracking problems in florida. lol it is not the north tho.. good info to know, thanks.. i dont think u shoud have cracking if you have a good prep. a good 2k primer and not filling heavy grit scratches with primer. making sure you sand everywhere should last a few years.. just what i think i could be wrong..

COLE 02-11-2010 02:22 PM

flat colors and primer hide flaws...

nuhawk 02-11-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4bangeranger (Post 253634)
just what i think i could be wrong..

No, I think you're exactly correct. The thing that surprised me was the primers these guys were using. The first primer was different than the second primer. It was a whole new game for me.

I've been painting hotrods since I was 16yo. Gotta admit - red-oxide primer doesn't take much talent. One of the oldtimers in the shop used to say, "You think you're ready for paint? Go paint it. You'll sand it again until you get it right."

There is no way to fill defects with more paint - regardless of the coats.

Sand, sand, sand!

hondavtr1000sp2 02-11-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 252480)

I LIKE YOUR BIKE NOTHING,& A VERY NICE COLOR ! :shock:

nothing 02-11-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 253715)
I LIKE YOUR BIKE NOTHING,& A VERY NICE COLOR ! :shock:

oh thank you so much :eek: no i appreciate it a lot of man hours went into it thanks a bunch