Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Jet-Hot coating??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Jet-Hot coating??

I've been toying with the idea of getting my header coated and I am curious about what some of you guys who have done it think about it. Mostly I'd like to know the aproximate cost and if you are happy with the results.

The main reason for doing this is cosmetics. I think the stock header is pretty ugly. I've had it wrapped and painted for quite some time but I now would like to go to something more maintanence free.

I've looked at their website a little and it looks like they offer different colors. Flat black, however, is the only color I would settle for.

I would also like to hear other ideas if you got em. I've heard of high temp powder coats but I don't know how good it is.

Thanks in advance for many help.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It IS the good stuff. Hawkrider runs his in wet look black, mine are super sterling, you want low maintenance this is it. It's NO maintenance and they always look great. Since I had mine done they have sold local franchises so you might check around. Mine were done at the Pascagoula plant in MS and their customer service couldn't have been better. Plan on some shipping expense because headers take up a lot of room. The return trip home is a deal because they get such a good deal as a volume shipper. I packed the **** out of mine and it cost me $60 to ship the header to them. They shipped it back for $28. It's all a little spendy but you will never regret the investment.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
**** it, few cans of bbq paint and your in the same boat, just shoot some on the inside of the header too

jet hot is good ****, i have ceramic coating on my turbo stuff, but for a daily bike, meh, i wouldnt bother
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

The rattle can idea has crossed my mind. I've used high temp paints on the mid-pipes and on other projects with fair, but not great, results. Durability is the main concern. Sand and other shrapnel off the road doesn't take long chew through.

I've read about people using bed liner to paint things like tanks and plastics. I think something like that would work well if it could handle the heat.

It sounds like jet-hot may be a little out of my price range for now. A cheaper alternative till "some day" comes is probably going to have to work for now.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, you're right. Next time I'll buy a $170 worth of stove paint and go through the bullshit to take them off the bike every two months to slobber some more trailer paint on a $10k bike.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Ceramic coating is about the only thing that will hold up to the temps near the head.... the paint will work for most of it, but at the real hot spots, I think it maybe problematic.

I've got the Jet Hot... it's pretty cool... if you do some searching there are a bunch of companies that do something similar... may be a way to save shipping costs.

Your other option is the fiberglass header wraps.... for 30-50 you ould probably wrap the whole thing.... you can do the off white, or black...

J.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
SuperSport

I had it wrapped for about two years. I did the black and it quickly faded to gray. Then pulled the header off and soaked it high temp ceramic paint. This added a lot of durability to it and I really liked the look. It would still be on there but I managed to drag the header on the track and it had to be removed. The dragging issue has since been resolved.

The wrap is alright. It's a real PIA to make it look nice. It is still on my list of options.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I recently got an estimate from High Performance Coatings which turns out to be the same company as Jet-Hot. $184 for the coating. $50 to strip the nickel plating that is on stock pipes plus the shipping back. Add in the shipping to them and $300 is about what you'll get tagged for.

Last edited by NH-Raptor; 01-21-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

Well that confirms it. Thanks NH-Raptor. The jet-hot will definatley go on the back burner for now.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents...I bought a used tbr header that was jet hot coated. I imagine it was an older coating because even it dulled pretty good near the head. It still looks nice and like was said is basically no maintenance. Don't they warranty their stuff now? My personal preference as far as what looks best is to sand any tooling marks and imperfections out of the metal, wet sand it and polish it. It'll look just like chrome, but as soon as you run the bike you get a golden chrome look that I think looks killer. And once you polish the metal it'll be much easier to maintain because it's smooth. You'll still need to maintain it periodically though. I'm **** about that kind of thing though, and don't mind the effort. I like my vehicles to look brand new. Most people don't really give a **** and prefer to just ride.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I think they have a full warranty for three years.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Mboe if you just want it to look nice it's pretty cheap in materials to polish the header, it's just a bit of work and if you've never polished metal before may be a little of a pain in the ***. It's not really hard, but it will require periodic maintence. The more time you spend/the smoother you make it the first time, the easier it'll be to keep up though.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Scratch that sorry I just read you wanted flat black...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I have mine Jet-Hot coated silver, and I love it.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone looked into or has the nPowered interior coating?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NH-Raptor
I recently got an estimate from High Performance Coatings which turns out to be the same company as Jet-Hot. $184 for the coating. $50 to strip the nickel plating that is on stock pipes plus the shipping back. Add in the shipping to them and $300 is about what you'll get tagged for.
I don't think I got charged for stripping anything bc no matter what the header it has to be stripped/blasted for the process to be successful. Shipping a header is a PITA. It's not just eye-candy. It really makes sense in terms of maintenance too.

The coating process is inside of the tubes and outside of the tubes. There was one response about the header losing it's shine. Take a little Mothers and a mini-ball and in 15 minutes you're back to a great shine. I've done mine once in three years.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Squid

Felton1 is on a distinguished road
personally I had my pipes powdercoated silver. a buddy has an old pizza oven. bought the gun and some normal nothin speacial about it powdercoating and went to town. for about 50 bucks it was done and ive had no discoloration or hot spot issues at all.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Felton1
personally I had my pipes powdercoated silver. a buddy has an old pizza oven. bought the gun and some normal nothin speacial about it powdercoating and went to town. for about 50 bucks it was done and ive had no discoloration or hot spot issues at all.
Very interesting. I'm actually planning on buying some sort of powder coating set-up in the not-too-distant future for some other projects I have in mind. I figured it wouldn't be of much use for any exhaust applications. I'll have to look into this idea some more. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Squid

996serrano is on a distinguished road
I painted my mid pipes with rattle can barbecue paint and it looks great. I am going to do my headers next to see if they hold up. I am going to do about 4 to 5 coats.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
SuperSport

My mids have been done with very high temp (VHT) ceramic paint from the auto parts store for quite some time. I plan on keeping them the way they are. It looks really good but doesn't last forever. **** from the road tends to sandblast them in a few small areas. Nothing a carefull touch-up can't cure.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
My 2 cents...I bought a used tbr header that was jet hot coated. I imagine it was an older coating because even it dulled pretty good near the head. It still looks nice and like was said is basically no maintenance. Don't they warranty their stuff now? My personal preference as far as what looks best is to sand any tooling marks and imperfections out of the metal, wet sand it and polish it. It'll look just like chrome, but as soon as you run the bike you get a golden chrome look that I think looks killer. And once you polish the metal it'll be much easier to maintain because it's smooth. You'll still need to maintain it periodically though. I'm **** about that kind of thing though, and don't mind the effort. I like my vehicles to look brand new. Most people don't really give a **** and prefer to just ride.
Hey Captn', Sorry for looking for a drwan out answer but what were the steps you took to doing your exhaust? I thin I have more time than money and that doesn't sound like a bad idea since my exhaust has never been treated it would be a nice cosmetic upgrade.