General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Jet Hot + header + exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
Jet Hot + header + exhaust question

Okay guys, next question in my million question superhawk spree haha. thank you all so much for all your help, you all have been very patient, alot more patient than with others, and have helped me with multiple issues, so here it goes

My headers are dented pretty bad in a few places, I have been told shouldn't affect to bad, also my mufflers are dented a bit.. my bike has 35k miles, I read somewhere the copper gaskets and other gaskets get sucked in somewhere and go bad after so long, and I would pretty much bet that my gaskets are bad on this thing, I dont think it was taken care of in europe very well, due to the oil and coolant look and years of experience on my f 150 2005 and me and my brother 76 nova we rebuilt when we were 18.... anyways I was wondering..either yoshi or twin brothers looks like the way to go.. im still not sure which 1... now if i wanted to jet hot my exhaust, should I get say a twin brothers headers and slip on, jet hot whole thing, put it in then resync carbs, or would it be better to keep stock headers, get the basic slip ons(what I mean by this is not the carbon fiber 1's, the steel 1's, since when you jet hot, you can get it a custom color, which i would do black, that way i save 200-300$ and get the color ranyways) and just jet hot only the slip ons... or should i order a brand new stock header set for our vtr1000, and a brand new slip on twin brother, and jet hot entire exhaust sytem? im not sure which is the best route, i believe someone told me getting twin brother header and slip on is more for racing and not street use? the stock vtr headers + only slip on is the better way to go? but you cannot jet hot used headers ( now if i got a used header off ebay with no dents, is there a way to clean it so they will jet hot with my slip ons?) i know there is a few questions, but i tried to sum it up and keep it as simple as I could... please help me out with anyone knows the pros and cons of doing this.. i plan on having my girlfriend ride with me... if I shouldn't bother jet hotting and just going carbon slip ons only, let me know ur opinions, pros and cons.. yes i have searched, but no My specific questions and answers I needed I could not find... any help would be appreciate by your new questionaire friend
-SHane
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'd avoid carbon. The heavy pulses of the v-twin blow them out fast unless you're very diligent in caring for them. I speak from experience.

I've never tried it, but you can remove the pipes and put water in them and freeze the whole thing and the expansion of the ice supposedly pops dents back out. I don't know that you can jet-hot the slipons? There are too many pieces in them... I think you can only do that to the pipes themselves.

I've never had a problem with exhaust when riding with the ladies (other than not hearing them if the exhaust is too loud)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
i will say that from the research i have done, crabon slipons and jet hot/ wraps dont mix. It holds the heat inside the pipes and then all that heat goes into the slip on which can cause issues with the carbon slipons getting too hot, possible cracking and splitting of the slipons.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
Ok.thanks for the input. I will get a new used set of headers stock off eBay, and replace all the worn gaskets and rusted clamps, and get a new pair of slipons..thanks for info guys, appreciated.
-Shane