Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

GPS MOUNT ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
GPS MOUNT ????

I was wondering if anybody is using this type of mount for a GPS on the Hawk ? http://products.ram-mount.com/rammou...ber=RAM-B-342U I am sure the ball is the right size for what I am using , I just wonder how secure the steering stem mount is ??
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not used that particular Ram mount, but i do have others on my SuperMoto and SV and the Ram mounts are rock solid.

One of mine uses the two ball mount with an extension.

Great Product
Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
RAM mounts are very well made and as long as it's the proper size for our steering stem, you'll be happy with it
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Just saw this thread. You can mount a Garmin on the tach using the suction cup mount. It also keeps it under the windscreen and out of the elements.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Superstock

Thanks for the replies , I went ahead and ordered it . I will let you guys know how it works out ..
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Superstock

I just thought I would give a little review of the steering stem GPS Ram-Mount in case any one else is considering one . Out of the box it does NOT fit the SH's steering stem without minor mods . The rubber compression bushing that it comes with is too big ! Not a big deal , after a trip to the hardware store and finding a smaller bushing it works great ! Took about ten minutes to install . Been using it for about a month . It's very secure and not too gawdy looking . Plus it can be removed easily ......
Attached Thumbnails GPS MOUNT ????-kawasaki-plastics-006.jpg   GPS MOUNT ????-kawasaki-plastics-008.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
what kind of GPS is that, and how much?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
what kind of GPS is that, and how much?
Its a Garmin Nuvi 205 .(less than $100 ) I got it for Xmas , VERY basic Nav with turn by turn instructions with color map . Works pretty good for what I use it for , finding local landmarks & other POI's for a photo tag game I play on a local sportbike forum here in GA . A game where someone post a picture of a Historical landmark or State Park , then someone else has to figure out where it is at and try to duplicate the picture . Its been a lot of fun & good excuse to get out and ride ! My son likes to ride with with me and come up with new locations . Too bad all of us Superhawker's are so spread out , I would love to have a Superhawk forum version of this game ! Here is a few we grabbed ...[IMG][/IMG]Name:  100_2863.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  199.8 KB[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I got the ram mount, just like the pics hrc put up. You should order directly from RAM.Any middle man will cost you. They screwed up my order so I did not get enough parts, but they have great customer service & sent me the rest no problem. You need the base ball, extension arm, top ball AND whatever gps mount on top. You need this info or they wont send you enough pieces for your lego set. Whatever way you mount it, (this or speedo suction cup) USE A TETHER!! That road is going by really fast Twisted safety wire will work
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I have a Scotts steering mount, where can I find a GPS/iPhone mount that won't get in the way?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
I have a Scotts steering mount, where can I find a GPS/iPhone mount that won't get in the way?
http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm They have all kinds of other mounts . They should have something that will do the trick .
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
I simply ran a peice of 3/4 all-thread about a foot long through the hole in the steering head. On top I screwed on a base flange from the plumbing department about 4" diameter. Underneath the steering head I double nutted it loosly with locktight. I covered the flange and back of my GPS with professional velcro. Ran the wire from the battery. Works great and got everything at HomeDepot for $10.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCVTR1000
I play on a local sportbike forum here in GA . A game where someone post a picture of a Historical landmark or State Park , then someone else has to figure out where it is at and try to duplicate the picture .
This is here in Georgia? Can i get a link? Would love to play.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 1zeppfan
This is here in Georgia? Can i get a link? Would love to play.
Sure thing ! here's the links to the two I play ....http://www.blokessportbike.com/showthread.php?t=36948 ........http://georgiasportbike.com/showthread.php?t=13731
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Thanks look for another SH to show up.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
I was wondering if anybody is using this type of mount for a GPS on the Hawk ? http://products.ram-mount.com/rammou...ber=RAM-B-342U I am sure the ball is the right size for what I am using , I just wonder how secure the steering stem mount is ??
Yep, works just fine with my Garmin 60CSx.....don't forget to hardwire to your battery

Name:  GarminonSuperhawk-1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  52.0 KB
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
supermatt996
Squid

supermatt996 is on a distinguished road
for all you guys that have a gps set up on your bikes how accurate is the mph. i heard its dead nuts
Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermatt996
for all you guys that have a gps set up on your bikes how accurate is the mph. i heard its dead nuts
To the best of my knowledge it's pretty spot on......I'd certainly put more faith in the GPS than my speedo cable....it's also easier to see with my old eyes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hey guys, I added one of these RAM mounts recently and I'm having a hard time getting the mount fitted snugly, it tends to move a bit, even after cranking on that little bolt. (It seems to me that they could have used a softer material for the steering stem plug. They one they sent is kinda hard.)

Has anyone else run into this, and did you come up with an alternative plug?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
...don't forget to hardwire to your battery...
Hey Crawdaddy, if you don't mind, why hardwire?
My GPS has a lighter-type plug, so I got a lighter-type accessory outlet from Radio Shack. I thought that was the best way to connect.

If this is OK, should I connect it directly to the battery or is there any spot in the front, underneath the fairing where I can connect this? BTW, it has it's own 10A inline fuse. TIA
Attached Thumbnails GPS MOUNT ????-gpsoutlet.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dannyz
Hey Crawdaddy, if you don't mind, why hardwire?
My GPS has a lighter-type plug, so I got a lighter-type accessory outlet from Radio Shack. I thought that was the best way to connect.

If this is OK, should I connect it directly to the battery or is there any spot in the front, underneath the fairing where I can connect this? BTW, it has it's own 10A inline fuse. TIA
If it has a fuse, you can directly connect it to the battery. I prefer finding a ignition-on hot wire though, especially for things like heated grips.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have one of these steering stem mounts, and I don't like it. As it is rubber mounted, it allows the GPS to move around a bit, making it hard to see on rough roads. I am going to swap it for a solid mount before I use the GPS again.

As for wiring, I like to use switched circuits for everything except the GPS. I prefer that it does not switch off when I stop the bike. If you are walking away from the bike for a while I would remove the GPS anyway so it does not get stolen, so running the battery down by forgetting to turn it off is not a problem.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by shayne
As it is rubber mounted, it allows the GPS to move around a bit, making it hard to see on rough roads. I am going to swap it for a solid mount before I use the GPS again.
I agree with the moving around, but I think it's due to the material being closer to plastic than rubber. If the plug were more squishable (word?) it would be held more tightly in position.

Has anyone found a substitute?

Last edited by chickenstrip; 10-01-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Iv'e got one of the ram mounts, but it just drops into the steering stem hole, and rubber rings hold it in place. Doesn't move/vibrate. As a matter of fact, it's a serious PITA to install/remove. But I'll take that over a mount that moves/wiggles about.
Looks like this (not this exact image, but close)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
SuperSport

This is what I have seen other Honda riders use. I will be trying it next.

I am referring to the part in the top left hand corner in this picture. From what I have seen the bolt spacing is the same as your front tank bolts. It should fit onto the VTR I think.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Co...8/Default.aspx
Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Squid
Squid

Dazzle is on a distinguished road
For what it is worth. I just mounted a ram ball on my new to me '99 Hawk. I drilled and tapped the top triple clamp and installed the following ram ball.
http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_3729.aspx

Works very well for my Garmin 2720 on the short extension. It displays below the gauge cluster. I would really prefer that it be higher and just above the cluster but I haven't figured that out yet.

You may not want to drill a hole in your top clamp but the only problem I see is if I wanted to do the superbike bar mod sometime in the future, I would have find a different top clamp.
Dick
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
<hijack>
Hi shayne, just checked your images in the sig link - that is one beautiful VTR. Originally I followed the link cause in your avatar it looks same as mine... but then I discovered that the colour is the only thing in common - that bike is the nicest VTR I ever saw.
The only problem I see is... I don't know how to tell you this: man, you have a cleaning issue
JK, great job with the bike!
</hijack>
Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Problem solved ... I think. I cut a piece of the thin latex gloves I use when wrenching and wrapped it around the rubber/plastic plug Ram provides. The addition of the thin takes up some of the gap and adds a squishable layer that is compressed when the plug is screwed tight.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
SuperSport

Good idea Dazzle, I will look at that when I go to fix mine.

Thanks for the compliment Danny - I think!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I have that mount. Made by Techmount. Awesome product!

Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
Iv'e got one of the ram mounts, but it just drops into the steering stem hole, and rubber rings hold it in place. Doesn't move/vibrate. As a matter of fact, it's a serious PITA to install/remove. But I'll take that over a mount that moves/wiggles about.
Looks like this (not this exact image, but close)