Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

front radiator mod question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Moriwaki was building a purpose built race bike no? Totally different parameters than a street bike.
I'd guess it's just down lower on the priority list is all. Plenty of people have run their oil cooler in that location, he's not the first. Kai Ju comes to mind

Actually, I'd be curious to see how much that oil cooler affects riding temp. I wonder how much warmer it would actually get by bypassing the cooler?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spoot
I went vertical with my oil cooler.
http://www.photo-spoot.com/misc/bhf6_8_13/IMG_7378.jpg
And that is how I am mounting mine as well..
Nice stacked plate cooler
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Bypass the cooler? Wow, I would never roll that kind of dice with any of my motors. I put a way bigger cooler on.

I know lots of guys put the cooler behind the header, but man does it get hot there at anything but racetrack speeds.

I guess I get paranoid cuz I sit in traffic so much. I actually built an electicly powered water mister for my left radiator ala Porche racecars to help thing along in stopped traffic.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Bypass the cooler? Wow, I would never roll that kind of dice with any of my motors. I put a way bigger cooler on.

I know lots of guys put the cooler behind the header, but man does it get hot there at anything but racetrack speeds.

I guess I get paranoid cuz I sit in traffic so much. I actually built an electicly powered water mister for my left radiator ala Porche racecars to help thing along in stopped traffic.
Bypass? No, replace with a higher thermal transfer capacity oil cooler yes.. That's kind of the point.

And have you ever measured the temps in that location after thermo wrapping or ceramic coating the front header on this bike?
Im guessing no from the comments.

Try it and see what you think and if it is still an issue for location based on heat.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

No Eric, seven said something about bypassing the oil cooler all together, which I am against. I know you can shield some heat but when I wrapped my headers, I was justly concerned about increasing temps in my wimpy carbon cans and combustion chamber.

If you have proof that its a viable spot while sitting still then go for it. I will keep mine up by the headstock in fresh air flow.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM
MotoGP

No Eric, seven said something about bypassing the oil cooler all together, which I am against.
I'm talking theoretical right now (hence saying, "I wonder" and "i'm curious" ...). I haven't even done any research and would gladly admit that it helps tremendously if I see convincing evidence. I'm not removing the cooler from my bike tonight or anything.

Obviously it's there for a reason, but it doesn't hurt to try to figure out why or how much rather than just throwing on the biggest version you can fit in there.

My water cooled Shadow didn't even have an oil cooler. And that's the opposite of a Moriwaki track bike.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I'm talking theoretical right now (hence saying, "I wonder" and "i'm curious" ...). I haven't even done any research and would gladly admit that it helps tremendously if I see convincing evidence. I'm not removing the cooler from my bike tonight or anything.

Obviously it's there for a reason, but it doesn't hurt to try to figure out why or how much rather than just throwing on the biggest version you can fit in there.

My water cooled Shadow didn't even have an oil cooler. And that's the opposite of a Moriwaki track bike.
Well, the Shadow isn't running nearly as hot as the VTR either... With a lot less bhp per engine displacement, so it's probably part of the reason...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, the Shadow isn't running nearly as hot as the VTR either... With a lot less bhp per engine displacement, so it's probably part of the reason...
I just threw that little kicker in there because Joe was knocking me for pointing out that the Moriwaki track bike re-located theirs.

There's a ton of variables, and bikes like the older gixxers use only oil coolers and no water. I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything at this point, I'm just curious as to how much it is helping. I haven't been around the block enough to have played with the oil cooling yet. Joe's jumping on it like I've already removed it, put tape over my engine temp gauge, and cruised on the highway in second gear from Phoenix to LA while towing a beer cooler.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

No Eric, seven said something about bypassing the oil cooler all together
Ahhh, ok I missed that, no, not the way i would go either.
Err, not the way I went

If you have proof that its a viable spot while sitting still then go for it. I will keep mine up by the headstock in fresh air flow.
Actually i do.... have the empirical evidence to shows that lower spot behind a wrapped header is roughly the same temp at idle, in traffic, and at freeway speeds as the OEM location at the top of the motor near the head.

Two days of riding around with a digital thermometer zip tied to the dash and thermocouple in various locations showed me that last summer....

I have not retested with a ceramic coated header, but will this summer.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
Spoot, didn't you oil a racetrack with your vertical solution? You're "that guy"?
now, now....after I pulled off to the exit from the track, I waited for the crash truck to take me to the pits. I looked back at the track where I was running - I heard them on the radio just then, clearly say "We don't need any oil-dry up here. We're all good"

phew !!!! I wasn't that guy!
Very lucky on many accounts!
I did feel really bad that they cleared the track because of me. I was that guy, though.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, thats what I said, that guy.

I remember being suspected of oilng the track at a big race. I happen to blow a motor in the turn where "that guy" actually dumped oil and antifreeze(illegal) on the track and many riders went down. The marshals raced over to my garage but realized I didnt leak a drop (I suppose because I had no sideways shotty oil coolers).

Man I got bad looks all day til the real "guy" was outed. What a punk.

It your bike just fails its one thing, but to jury rig stuff and go out have it fail makes you that guy. Just dont do it again.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

I hear ya smokinj. I was really hard on myself for that one. I know the danger I could have created. I felt horrible.
It wasn't until much later in the day when a mechanic-friend cut the hose off and found the flapper...I had no clue that I had done that. I thought I was diligent in doing good work. I even test drove around my block a bit trying to make sure my work was good before going to the track.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
MotoGP

Its amazing the stress a track puts on a bike that you would never find on the street. I had the misfortune of having a "tweaker" garagemate for a year of racing. He crashed constanly and half due to his cut & paste mechanicals.

His girlfriend even raced with us and woud go out on track with no rear brakes. It was disturbing. He eventually got banned from the track due to endangering of others lives.

Not at all saying thats you but it is a slippery slope. You will learn to stick with very tried and tested methods and err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't.

That goes the same for bonzai passes, track or street. If you are doubting, dont do it. You will survive to play another day. But man will you regret that dumbass move.

Just watched another garagemate try a crazy 1st turn, 1st lap move (30 bikes into t1) and crashed hugely just feet in front of me. He cant regret it enough.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

any news, Cole??
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I got married and moved and started new job. I haven't had internet. I ve road it to work last two days. Runs great. I ll take some pics thursday and post em.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Crash
Superstock

The paint didn't turn out like I planned. I bought flat clear, but it turned out semi-gloss. I haven't got my temp gauge wired up correctly yet, but I have driven it to work everyday this week and def running cool enough. I still have to paint my front wheel to match back. I getting front suspension done very soon by SHY Racing Suspension. So what do yall think so far?
Attached Thumbnails front radiator mod question-19.jpg   front radiator mod question-21.jpg   front radiator mod question-20.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Crash
Superstock

I also have manual CCT's on the way and folding bar end mirrors. I need to take pics of display. Debating putting some pro taper bars on it...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Looks good!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

have you done any hard braking to check to see if it rubs the rad?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Spoot
have you done any hard braking to check to see if it rubs the rad?
Better...

Support bike under motor with jack.

Loosen and remove the fork caps
Lower bike allowing forks to collapse fully.
Check rad/tire clearance.

Checking interference on the road under heavy braking is just silly...when you can do the same checks in the garage
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Crash
Superstock

I have done some hard braking with no rub. Since I moved I have to work on bike outside at apartment so limited on what I can do for now. CCT's are in and will install them after I get off work.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Crash
Superstock

made it almost a year problem free and running great, very pleased with the mod
Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Squid

Vtrstu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COLE
made it almost a year problem free and running great, very pleased with the mod
On the issue of front mount rads I have just mounted a ktm 990 rad after a lot of adjustment so as not to hit the mud guard or wheel and making a new steering stop for the right side !!! Lock will be awful but it will look cool ....hopefully , well I like it !!!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Squid

Vtrstu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vtrstu
On the issue of front mount rads I have just mounted a ktm 990 rad after a lot of adjustment so as not to hit the mud guard or wheel and making a new steering stop for the right side !!! Lock will be awful but it will look cool ....hopefully , well I like it !!!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Squid

marsbel is on a distinguished road
Any pics, Info?
I'm looking into mounting a front rad as well.

Originally Posted by Vtrstu
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Squid

andrewvophoto is on a distinguished road
Love the work you guys did here with the front radiator conversion. I decided to go naked about a week ago mainly bc ...I love the side radiators. They've got this cool street fighter look to them with the dual radiators exposed and all. had a couple people this week asked if it was a brand new bike they've never heard of and I like that. Something different not something that looks like a sv650 , a monster, or anyother naked bike. Love them too much to convert. Really interesting post though
Old 10-07-2014, 07:01 AM
MotoGP

Andrew, I agree completely. Side rads are exotic like a single sided swingarm. No one else has them. Give that industrial look. Good job.