Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
KTM RC8
KTM RC8R RC8 2012 Engine Radiator Water Cooler Cooling Unit Assembly | eBay
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
That speed triple is the one I was thinking of. Has the oil cooler in front of headers too. Doesnt make sense to put it behind hot headers. That ktm unit is pricey tho'.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I guess yall have way more room on the front of your hawks...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
MotoGP

So hacking the web, found this for sale. This would for sure be plenty of cooling power and may fit easier. Good price too.

04/05 GSXR 600 Radiator
Attached Thumbnails front radiator mod question-254240-250x187.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I honestly don't think you can get a tall rad in there, Joe. I tried to fit several at a junkyard but the way the header and front valve cover fit on this bike they push any rad into the area where the front tire hits it.

I don't think a curved rad will solve that because it doesn't fix the height issue?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

Yeah seven, I've been saying I dont see how anything could fit since my oil cooler barely makes it. Its compounded by where the front tire is able to travel on a bottom out.

I really think honda put side rads as a matter of nececity. Every time I have messed with trying it I give up.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
MotoGP

[QUOTE=smokinjoe73;352095]

I really think honda put side rads as a matter of nececity. TE]

I can't think of any other reason, and I'm sure once they decided to not make a front rad, they definitely didn't try to make it so someone else could try to fit one later, so took up all the space they needed up there.

On the plus side, we don't have to disconnect a cooling system to work on the valves/heads!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah seven, I've been saying I dont see how anything could fit since my oil cooler barely makes it. Its compounded by where the front tire is able to travel on a bottom out.

I really think honda put side rads as a matter of nececity. Every time I have messed with trying it I give up.
Ya know, my bad.. but my assumption was,,, we were all talking about moving the oil cooler as part of this MOD.

I think your right, not much room there if your intent is to leave the OEM oil cooler.
As that thing is a pathetic two row excuse for an oil cooler... I just figured replace and move it at the same time as the front rad.

I just finished brazing up fittings for AN line to the engine side of a oil cooler swap Ive been planning...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
MotoGP

I think Joe is saying he had a hard time fitting an oversized oil cooler in there with no rad, much less any kind of radiator regardless of the oil cooler being moved or not.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, the zx-7 cooler (8rows) does really barely fit there. I could relocate it but I would really have to mean it and my bike is my basic transport so dont want to ground it.

Marquez, what are you doing for a radiator?

Sorry did you mention it? Speed triple one?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Yeah, the zx-7 cooler (8rows) does really barely fit there. I could relocate it but I would really have to mean it and my bike is my basic transport so dont want to ground it.

Marquez, what are you doing for a radiator?

Sorry did you mention it? Speed triple one?
Not a radiator for me, an oil cooler.

It started the desire to make some AN braided SS lines for the stock one, then I realised I had a nice stacked plate oil cooler on the shelf, and it went from there.
As long as I had to make fittings for the OEM engine fittings to AN fittings.. I might as well replace the crappy OEM oil cooler.

I live in Texas and ride in the summer, so cooling the oil is a good idea. Have not decided on a thermostat bypass or not yet though... I don't really ride a lot in cold weather.... and I could just sew up a cover for the cooler to be used in the winter......
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
Cole - I have the red bike in your 1st post.
I can tell you that I continue to struggle with heat issues.
I use this as a full-time track bike. So, I have airflow all the time. I still get the temp needle stuck on high.

When you turn you r steering lock-to-lock, measure the free space you have. Use a piece of cardboard to show yourself a straight surface so you can see the space and the angle you need.

My bike has a SH rad in front with the lower outlet plugged. 1/2 of the OE surface area has been removed, but I get good air flow. All my trackdays last year were 80+ or 90+ degrees. Still gets too hot.

I'll be adding a 5-row oil cooler, but I'm not holding my breath for a big difference.
I also think I am going to find the temp-sensor wires and just bypass it to a switch.

one of the pics in this thread looked like the tire would hit the rad with just a little bump in the road.
another pic showed the lower part of the rad pointing toward the tire...again it would probably hit with just a little bump.

Curved rads might help to keep it in tight down by the tire, but then they get wider out by the forks when you're lock-to-lock.

Last edited by Spoot; 04-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Crash
Superstock

I ordered radiator off ebay, its coming from china and takes a month. I already recieved new 4-row oil cooler off a trx250, 1750 cfm fan, and hayden adjustable thermostat switch. I also installing a new jardine rt-1 carbon w/ ti. mid pipe off at 2005 zx-10. I cutting y-pipe off and remaking y-pipe to bolt up since I dont know how to bend or weld on ti. I ll post pics after radiator comes in.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

Cole I want to hear how the thermostat works/looks/fits
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Squid

njankzaholic is on a distinguished road
bigger radiator is better
but without fan it would not work properly
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Squid

WOMPY5000 is on a distinguished road
Looking at Banshee radiator...not sure on size but Ill measure up my friend's quad. What minimum size y'all think will be enough cooling?
Name:  158E7B07-0A04-4579-8BE7-E0D5EA4BD2D4-1126-00000251A4D0D9B1.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  98.5 KB
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
MotoGP

Doesnt seem like a quad would have any of the same parameters as a streetbike. Like, not curved, not thin, etc since quads wouldnt require it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Crash
Superstock

Here is a sneak preview. It is still a work in progress. Oil line parts should be in tomorrow. I went with a superhawk right side oversized 2 row radiator off ebay for $85. Tire will not hit it at all. It is close but holding front brake and jumping up and down hard enough to get front tire off ground (or at least felt like it) would not touch. I ll post beginning to end photos after all finished.
Attached Thumbnails front radiator mod question-8.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

So you are using just one of the existing rads in the front? Fan, no fan? Oh, wait, 2 row? Thats aftermarket then right?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Crash
Superstock

yes, it is a aftermarket racing radiator, way thicker than stock, I ll take a pic of it besides factory for comparison. I tapped into wiring harness under fuse box, I ll take some pictures saturday of wiring. I was able to mount hayden adjustable thermostat switch right beside fuse box, and use factory plug in for new fan. It is all coming together quiet nicely. I have one oil line made. I used AN fittings and stainless steel braided lines, had to order one more fitting to finish other side. SPOOT has me little scared honestly. but with my adjustable switch i can make fan turn on as soon as it cranks. if it runs too hot when finished I ll sell it and start over i guess...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road
Talk to Thermae, they can whip up anything to your specs.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Crash
Superstock

here's an update, all that's left is painting the bike
Attached Thumbnails front radiator mod question-16.jpg   front radiator mod question-17.jpg   front radiator mod question-18.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

pic 3 looks really tight.
if you have a wheel chock to set the bike in...you can use ratchet straps to pull the front end down (compress forks), see what happens when you bottom out the forks.
Watch your clearance....much safer than riding it and testing.

Another thought I had....was to take the rad to a rad shop and have them kind of 'pound' the front/bottom rows back where the tire is most likely to hit the rad. You will loose a couple rows of cooling, but still be ahead of the game with the rest of the new/bigger rad.

??

Keep us posted - you're in uncharted territory and a lot of eyes

edit: I have 2 12v computer fans on my front rad. they are thinner than a standard rad fan and still move a lot of air.
just a thought.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COLE
here's an update, all that's left is painting the bike
Well, unless you're a flyweight, or have removed the stock forksprings and replaced with solid cores, that WILL hit... Plain and simple...

You have about 40 mm travel when you sit down on the bike, (ideally less, but impossible with stock forks unless modified) And then about the same or more as you ride... And that's NOT more than 120 mm free movement...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, that is the issue I mentioned trying to shoehorn the 8 row oil cooler in there. I had contact issues on the first many attempts. You would be surprised how much the wheel moves. You are also giving your oil cooler some preheated air to use.

Keep us posted, I do want you to succed, I just think that honda did it on the side for a reason, if I tried again I would keep both sides AND add a small front rad.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 AM
MotoGP

You are also giving your oil cooler some preheated air to use.
I personally wouldn't worry about that part... It's a much bigger oil cooler, and even Moriwaki put the stock one there when they put a third rad up top.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM
über-n00b
Superstock

I went vertical with my oil cooler.
http://www.photo-spoot.com/misc/bhf6_8_13/IMG_7378.jpg
Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

Moriwaki was building a purpose built race bike no? Totally different parameters than a street bike.

Spoot, didnt you oil a racetrack with your vertical solution? You're "that guy"?

Quick Reply: front radiator mod question